xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
PlugComputers

Vista Desktop Installed!

So I finally got my hands on a Vista operating system for a clien at Plug Computers. Just yesterday I sent out a system with the Home Premium for system builders edition on it. Got to play around with it for a little bit, seems to be some pretty cool upgrades as far as securtiy and the way automatic updates are done. I like it alot. If you are satsified with your windows XP and have a little bit dated computer I would just stick with XP. Yeah vista is great, but you really need a solid computer to run it and your applications smoothly. Your overall computing may be a bit slower if you computer can't handle the vista operating system. Definately check out the recommended specs Mircosoft has provided before upgrading or choosing Vista.In general, it looks good. Some pretty cool visual changes, as well as security updates, but I'm sure its full of bugs somewhere. Haha Microsoft couldnt sell an OS without bugs now could they! You would never have to update..haha. Check it out though, pretty neat new stuff.Look forward to the formal release tomorrow Jan 30th.

Edited by PlugComputers (see edit history)

Ive had vista final for quite a while now. Ive found out that its just a new GUI of XP with a few new power tools and eye candy added. You need a pretty good PC to run it on especially Ultimate (which hopefully ill get sent in the next few weeks...It help to be a Microsoft Partner ;)) or you will find that vista may run slow and crash from time to time.

how long is the installation time for this? it may be a while before i can get to play with vista, it will still take me at least a year to upgrade my PC to something which can fully run this OS as intended by microsoft -- even with the barest of requirements. ;)

Vista fails to impress me, especially with their move to downgrade the quality of anything you rip to prevent piracy.I've always hated Windows restrictions and forced "essential" updates and upgrades. Not only that, but all these so-called essential updates force you to check whether your Windows is genuine. Why can't it just do it the one time, rather than run the check every single damned time?If anything, MicroSoft own your PC, not you, the way I see it. They constantly place barriers on you and make you download things and Vista seems to be taking it that bit further, only now it has unnecesary '3D' windows with which to browse your files and eats away at more precious RAM.

I have been running vista since it came out as beta2. and it has changed since then! still its not a bad operating system and has some pretty good features! they also included the media center in the ultimate version. but it has been said before, and will be continually said that you are going to need a good computer. one of my development machines that can run xp perfectly had some trouble running vista without 'aero', i couldn't even force aero to run because my graphics card was not up to it! but i think vista is still a good operating system without the fancy eye candy!

I wish I had the money to buy vista ;) But I don't and I'm planning on getting it in 2008 if I have a new computer, I'm planning to buy a real expensive one. But to me Vista has just some eye candy and aded performance I looked at it faster, but seems a lot like XP.

Looking at the demo's of Vista that have been shown on TV and that I have seen, even on faster systems it can still get quite jerky if you have a few applications running, which is not a good sign. The restrictions about what you can do with your licence are also annoying when it comes to buying a new PC and transferring it. OK, the graphics are flashy and for once it seems Microsoft have managed to make a somewhat decent operating system. Then again, I can make my newly-Linuxed laptop look like that for the total cost of ?0.00, without all the annoyances of Microsoft. Considering the cost here in the UK, I will not install Vista any time soon on my desktop, because amazingly XP seems to be working just fine, and I can do everything I need to.

I have had Windows Vista on my other computer now since they released the beta version a while back. I quite like the operating system, and I wonder how long till they stop doing Windows XP updates. The visual is very nice, and there are some new games also - not played them though. Overall this is a very nice operating system, and has some great features!

I have had Vista installed since it came out for businesses a couple of months ago. I like it alot but there are some things you have to get used to. First of all, if you are an administrator on the computer, you have to run software as an admin to have those provilidges just like in linux when you run applications as root. If this bugs you, then you can turn it off under security policies but even though it does annoy me from time to time, it is way more secure so i have kept it. The user interface is very nice, much nicer than XP. It is smoother and much easier to read and see things. They also have made it easier to view your file hierarchy when opening a file, viewing it in Computer (not my computer cause they dropped the My infront of all the words now) and so forth. As for speed, for me it runs just as quick as XP does and actually performs better on the games I play. I was surprised since my computer is almost 3 years old and is a laptop so i have not upgraded it since i bought it. Just make sure you have atleast a gig of ram and 128 mb of video memory and you will be fine.As for pricing, it is steep. Wait a little while and they will lower it. Also, check out their website since i read that they have downloadable version of Vista and actually sell them cheaper if you choose to download it. I personally have not checked it out since i already have the OS but just figured i would inform you all. Also, if you are a student and you school has MSDNAA (Academic Alliance) keep a watch because Vista Ultimate or Business will be showing up there very soon.

I guess that I will get vista sometime around mid year. I used it on another computer and it was great, but by that time it was still beta. The only problems I had where with video playback, but I guess that has been fixed by now. It looked really cool, and it definitely looked like some things were copied from mac, but they look great though. It looked pretty fast when I used it but I guess it was because it was a clean install.

... if you are an administrator on the computer, you have to run software as an admin to have those provilidges just like in linux when you run applications as root...

As you say, just like *NIX

The user interface is very nice, much nicer than XP. It is smoother and much easier to read and see things.

Yup, it looks like a mac and wasn't even made by Microsoft themselves (They got another company to do it - where do you think aero comes from?)

They also have made it easier to view your file hierarchy when opening a file, viewing it in Computer (not my computer cause they dropped the My infront of all the words now) and so forth.

You mean, a little bit like Gnome and KDE under linux?

As for speed, for me it runs just as quick as XP does and actually performs better on the games I play. I was surprised since my computer is almost 3 years old and is a laptop so i have not upgraded it since i bought it. Just make sure you have atleast a gig of ram and 128 mb of video memory and you will be fine.

Yeah, not everyone has money burning their pockets. A gig of ram? I'm on a cheap Dell...

As for pricing, it is steep.

No sh*t! It's been five years (well, soon six) since they released XP. Obviously poor little M$ needs some cash!

Wait a little while and they will lower it. Also, check out their website since i read that they have downloadable version of Vista and actually sell them cheaper if you choose to download it. I personally have not checked it out since i already have the OS but just figured i would inform you all. Also, if you are a student and you school has MSDNAA (Academic Alliance) keep a watch because Vista Ultimate or Business will be showing up there very soon.

If I really wanted it, it's also available on torrents. But do I want it? Do you?