xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JasperIk

My Friend

This rant/vent is mostly about two things my friend, and double standard racism. So i have this friend who happens to be black, which isn't a problem i have nothing against black people and when i do, its because of the individual and not black people as a whole. Anyway, so she really annoys me because she is so quick to state how funky looking white people are and how annoying while people are. Which obviously frustrates me concidering i AM white. When I asked her why she does that and why it seems so many people that aren't white tend to call white people names, and what was her answer? She said they basically earned the right to be racist towards us because of how 'horrible' we were to them. So because people who are more than likely dead now were mean, you have to blame us? I am not saying white people have never in the last 40 years made a racist remark there are MANY racist white people and even some who use the 'N' word all the time. However, what many fail to realize is how many racist non white people there are, its like even white people let racist comments slide about them, but i am seriously sick of being called names and being told i cant dance. Like who the heck decided white people can't dance? Bumping and grinding and basically doing some funky mating ritual on the dance floor isn't dancing to me thats just practically foreplay. I just don't feel very respected as a white person, and i am finding it hard to respect many non white people due to the fact that MANY i have met have been rude to me they think because i am white i have this perfect life...i am just like everyone else, and i am sorry but the only reason why theres so many succesful white people is because they actually try, i dont care how many people say that they didnt get a job or an education because of their race, anyone can get a good career they just have to try.

I know some people like that too. Last year at lunch, there was this black kid who acted poor (I don't think he was) but he always wanted some money to buy lunch. I would say no, either because I didn't have any or he was really annoying me. He would always reply by saying "You racist?" and I always say no. He thought I was racist just because I didn't give him money! One day he came up to the table I was eating at and talked about us white men killing his grandparents. He'd say, "Alright which one of you enslaved my great-grandpa" or something like that. Some black people think they are worse than use and almost abuse us because our great-grandparents treated them poorly. It's not our fault! Personally I have no problem with black people or any races and treat them equally, but when people try to use their race to their advantage, it makes me very angry. My advice is to get another friend, people like that just aren't worth the trouble.

I'm not racist, but I think that people using their race to their advantage are just ignorant and beligerant in a way. If you don't like us calling you names and being racist towards you, then why do it to us? That's just asking for trouble that nobody wants and causing a conflict that shouldn't have to happen. Times have changed, and although there's still a lot of hate out there, you could be black, get a good education, go to college for a few years or so, and be just as successful as any white person could. It just takes a bit of effort and equality towards other races.

Edited by brandon10092 (see edit history)

This rant/vent is mostly about two things my friend, and double standard racism.

So i have this friend who happens to be black, which isn't a problem i have nothing against black people and when i do, its because of the individual and not black people as a whole.

This is the comment that I can really identify with. I have been in a similar situation many times, not so much with 'black' people, but certainly other races. Just because I don't like particular person, if they happen to be of ethnic background then usually they will accuse me of being racist. I try to explain it is them that I have problem with, not their race, but of course by that stage they are beyond listening.

I do get a little annoyed when immigrants refuse to adopt the laws and cultures of a country they choose to live in. Remember, it was their choice to come to this country, (Australia) why can't they accept the culture of the country? I'm not saying they should disregard their own culture, but do not accuse me of being racist just because I am following my own culture. By this I mean, the banning of nativity scenes and plays at kindergartens and the like because it may offend people with other than Christian beliefs. This country is primarily of Christian belief, therefore we should be able to celebrate our culture in ways we have done so for many years. After all, the Chinese here have accepted our culture and celebrated their own, (Chinese New Year for example) for many decades, why can't others choosing to live in this country do the same?

This rant/vent is mostly about two things my friend, and double standard racism.
I just don't feel very respected as a white person, and i am finding it hard to respect many non white people due to the fact that MANY i have met have been rude to me they think because i am white i have this perfect life...i am just like everyone else, and i am sorry but the only reason why theres so many succesful white people is because they actually try, i dont care how many people say that they didnt get a job or an education because of their race, anyone can get a good career they just have to try.

It's not totally their fault, as the media stereotypes it in that kind of way. Just as black people live in the slums and are gangsters, white people live in suburbia and go to work with a suit and tie, according to movies, TV etc. (Reminds me of some documentary which was talking about those US Cop shows where all the criminals caught are black - what kind of message is that sending?) It works both ways, and unfortunately thats how it is, and until these kinds of messages are no-longer sent through mass media, the stereotypes will remain.

The problem with jobs/careers in relation to racism is that it does exist but often in a subvert way - say two candidates are just as eligible for a job, one could be white, one black. This job could be in a company which is predominantly white (just simply because of the organizational culture starting from the founding members) - the white person will get the job. Perhaps the people in the company aren't specifically looking to be racist or to exclude people with different skin colours, but when the choice isn't simple, they stick with what they believe is the *safer* choice, subconsciously. That is, of course, hypothetically - but I believe it does or could happen. Living in a white dominated society (in terms of political and economic power), whilst being white, obviously has some sort of advantage, whether it be small or large, wanted or unwanted.

Wow. I seriously understand how 'ya feel. I'm kinda frustrated too by "double-standard racism" as you coin it. I also am really annoyed by some people who think they're just so much better than white people just because they're black or whatever. I'm not racist, really, and when I am I admit it, but, especially in the case of this one kid, I'm really frustrated. Basically, whenever someone says something to him, he yells "that's racist!" Even if it isn't. I find some consolation in the fact that everyone hates him, but I just can't believe how lame some people are when it comes to racism. Which is serious. As for racial stereotypes, well, I don't judge someone just based on race, but there's really no stereotype without a prototype. However, there's always a lot of people who don't fit into a stereotype, even if there are a lot who are. I always give people a chance before I judge them, though, and I'm just really tired of people thinking I'm spoiled rich or whatever just because I'm white, because that's WRONG.Anyway, if you think this person is really, really being out of line and stuff, then they're no friend and calling them a friend is a lie. Just tell them what you think and if they don't like you for it, then it's their loss.

One NDP member (the third most prominent political party in my country) refuses to admit there is such thing as 'reverse' racism (black/brown/yellow-on-white). She hosts her own website, including a forum... no white people are allowed to post in the "Racism" forum, since they "don't understand the issue".

Hi!@Cool_FreakerOrganizational culture is a set of shared values that people within an organization share, and it defines how people react to different situations. As you've mentioned earlier, racist behavior within an organization can arise due to an unhealthy organizational culture rather than due to personal views of certain individuals. Organizations that appear to be very similar from the outside, such as Coca Cola and Pepsi Co, can be very different on the inside when you work with the organization as an employee.Many creative organizations ensure that their employees feel right at home, irrespective of what background they come from and they actually encourage diversity. They do, however, require that their employees maintain a certain sense of decorum, which is a reasonable expectation by any business standard.