xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloHelp

Would You Change The Name, Trap17? what does Trap17 mean to you...

The name TRAP17  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What does "Xisto" mean to you? I am asking as purely on the aesthetic sense where Xisto sub-domain name and the looks of the name ONLY. This is not about the service or the forum themselves. So read on carefully :rolleyes:

In the past the name Xisto received mixed views. Some people thought it was a cool name. But some others thought what kind of sub-domain is that and such. The name Xisto holds special interest to OpaQue. But OpaQue is much more concerned with the users of his service, free web hosting with no ads. So, if you were to name this fantastic hosting service from the beginning what would you name it?

Here is your chance to frankly throw your two cents, (or three if you're rich :)) to genuinely discuss if the name Xisto should be changed or keep it the way it is. We would like to hear what Xisto, the name, means to you. For example, 'it reminds me of 17 year old teenager's place' or 'it sounds like a hip-hop domain name' etc. Anything. Secondly if you have the choice to rename Xisto to something else, which would you suggest? This can be a domain name already taken or use https://xisto.com/ to see if it's still available. For example, some one may suggest the name Z-ULTRAHOST. This will not only change the forum name but your sub-domain as well, i.e. annex.z-ultrahost.com etc. Lastly, would you rather keep the sub-domain, i.e. annex.trap17.com, but just change the forum domain name?

Thank you and be sure to vote!

To me the domain is just a name, what follows that domain determines what it could mean to anyone. Xisto is a community of people getting together and having a good time. The bonus being free webhosting.Yeah it's a subdomain, but what most people don't realize that this a sub domain that packs more then most TLD that offer very little.Should it be changed no, because if it were to be changed it would have some corny name like freesubdomainhosting.com With trap you would have to figure out what the website is all about.

I would personally have it changed.. I know Xisto has a special meaning to opaque, and that it's earned a reputation on the internet for webhosting and forum posting, but honestly, I don't see it as too catchy. I don't have any suggestions for a domain name, but I could see a positive effect of changing the name. The domain name Xisto sounds like it's free hosting, or some cheap redirect.

Personally the name like SM said is just a name. I have gotten used to the name though, and it's unique. It's short and easy to remember. Besides the logical part that it'd be a hassel for people to try and remember the new domain and what not would be a problem but actually not that big. I think though that it's good and shouldn't be changed because it makes people wonder and actually come to see what it's all about, once again like SM said. Besides, it isn't just a hosting site, it's a community of everything from gaming, to graphics, to poetry. Plus I already made made up Trap17ism. :rolleyes: It's grown on me. :)

Maybe a change..It's a nice name, but for some reason everyone thinks it's a runescape site. hm. Maybe a more "hosty" kinda name? Even something like uber-host.com, lol. Xisto has a huge reputation, so we can't just "get rid of" it. Maybe, change the domain, but keep "Xisto" in the site description?

I think the reason why the runescape freaks find this is site is but dumb luck in a search engine. I know I have asked several runescappers and of course never got an answer because by then they are just spamming.

Bill S once said:

"What's in a name? That which we call a roseBy any other word would smell as sweet."

--From Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

I rather like the name... it doesn't seem like it's such an obvious 'free hosting company' with the name it has currently. Plus, it's short which is nice, because a shorter address is easier for visitors to remember if they choose to come back.Web addresses look rather tacky when you have to surf to my-free-hosted-website.com/sitename (I just made that up... no offence to anyone if that happens to be your site lol).I just prefer the name being more annonymous to the casual surfer.

to tell honestly i dont like having numeric number in the domain, a lot of people ask me what why it is Xisto and because numbers are diicult to remember than letters a lot of people i came across find themselves not being able to remember the url too , if it is going to change it should be a unique as Xisto and should not contain any reference to hosting according to my ideas, but without numbers please :)

When I was hosted, I liked the fact that the domain didn't sound like a host's domain name and that it was short and catchy. Although I don't mind having numbers in a domain name, some said they do so maybe there should be a selection of domain names (2 or 3). Xisto wasn't a free host when it started and I think that has worked well to its advantage.

I like the domain name, because it isn't anything tacky like "freewebhosting.com". It is also a short domain name, which is good. It is, in my opinion, fairly memorable, another plus.

Don't touch my Xisto!No seriously, this site has been called Xisto ever since I joined two years ago and it should stay that way in my opinion. When you built a history, you don't want to destroy that by changing the name. Everyone has to seperate ways with something he likes in the world, but you shouldn't part ways if there is no logical reason, and I don't see much of a point in changing the name of Xisto just so it might get more popular.

I am used to the name. I am sure the thousands of hosted users are used to it to. My site is not particularly popular and I am happy with my humble T17 subdomain, so if it was changed I would have to tell everyone the address was changing. I know it's not a problem to those with a paid TLD but it would be an annoyance to the rest of us.Xisto has earned a special place in my heart over the last year and a half, and as the name means something special to Opaque, and of course to many other members I see no reason to change it.