xisto Community
rovertos

Video Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!

virutal/real violenceVideo Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!

I don't believe that virtual violence has something to do with real violence. The worst killers in the world (guys  who have killed 10+ people),know little or nothing about vgs.

Videogames may be a waste of time, but doesn't everyone end up wasteing time in life. It is said that watching TV is a waste of time, some say books are a waste of time, some morons even think sport is a waste of time.After almost dying at the age of 15, I've decided that there is no waste of time... Although I must admit I felt stupid that I was playing Halo at the time a fire was burning towards us and would destroy the entire town on Black Saturday, not just where I lived though, but in many other towns such as Marysvillle, Flowerdale and Kinglake.So basically, there's no point in worrying about wasting time, just enjoy your life. Video games are simply another way for people to relax, like everything there are benefits to this but can also be done to excess. There's no point worrying about how everyone acts and behaves, while it is better that things like videogames are played in moderation won't stop people from behaving in a different way.Just because you play video games you don't have to become a fat tub of lard. Most people I know actually go out and do other things even though they have an xbox.Personally I find games boring if you play them to long anyway...-reply by Jack Tyln

Edited by moderator (see edit history)

are you serious? Video Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!

your asking is there anything else I could be doing, well yes and 99.99999999999% of those thing are not worth doing anyway,

or is just disappointing **** or leads to disappointing ****

I have read almost every book worth reading, and trust me the list is short, most movies suck *** ost pretty girls are ****'s. Which bye the way your hippie go outside and hug trees free love crap made them that way. 

I would much rather spend my hard earned money on something that isn't going to promote hippie hollywood ideas or kill children in the womb or feed some sorry excuse for a human being girlfriend until my wallet is raped clean.

just so she can run of and feast on some other poor sucker , who people like you lead into thinking he needed what someone else thought to make him happy

now I'm off to play mario  peace hippie

-reply by joel

To say that video game interaction is entirely passive is a total misnomer.  That aside, I'll just address the topic as a whole: Society favors extra version, so of course many would point to the fact that a lot of gamers game in solitude.  So what?  Reading is a solitary activity.  In fact, gaming has more potential to be a social activity than reading.  But I'm not knocking reading either.  Because I take all of these things for what they are--forms of expression.  Video games are mediums of expression, storytelling methods, all sorts of things, in the same way that books or movies are.  Plus, if someone enjoys doing something, why would you try and take that away from them just because it doesn't fit your mold?  That's just crap.  It's not hurting you, is it?  So you think you'd be wasting your time to play video games.  Fine.  Do what you want to do.  But you don't have the right to say that video games are UNIVERSALLY  a waste of time.  To many, they aren't.  

-reply by Elliot

not completelyVideo Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!

Video games cannot possibly be a waste of time because they are either a) large time sinks (say ballpark =<40 hours/week) for those whose time is worthless in the first place, or B) a hobby of variety that entertains by using a different expressive medium, one of many in a person's life (say ballpark >=20 hours/week)

Essentially, if you have hours upon hours to spend on videogames, your time is not valuable anyways, so how can something thats worthless be wasted?

-reply by Vadrosaul

C'mon face it, video games are a complete waste of your time! Every time you turn on your console you should be asking yourself "Is there something better I should be doing with my time... like reading a good book... or watching a good movie... or flirting with a beautiful girl? Do I get anything out of this, does this make me a better person?"

I've learned that even when you work hard and get things done properly, your mind still needs time to relax. If you don't get a bit of relaxation time very week, you will stress out and forget things. Plus you will have health problems like ulcers and high blood pressure.

I've learned that games, along with movies, television, and reading can be beneficial ways to relax, so long as you make sure to keep your life straight and don't overdo anything.

Perhaps there is a certain reason you dislike games in general?

All things are a waste of time...depending on perspectiveVideo Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!

Your opinion is just that, your opinion and mine is mine...And this leads to the idea that each person will express that which fits their own mold. You could tell me that video games are a waste of time...I will tell you foot ball is a waste of time...Do I really need to run around doing physical harm to my body but butting heads with another...Do I want to slap asses with another man..No particularly...I will ask you this question to every sport...As they are all a waste of time in my mind...And all of these occupations if you are fully involved are paying occupations...As for books, movies, etc. Essentially most books that are read these days are stories...What is a video game...A story..But instead of being a passive watcher you are an active participant...There are games out there that are changing the way people think...Recently a game came out that upon completing the first game and using your saved game for the second game will continue your progress and all of the decisions you made..The moral choices you made will have effects on the second game..Thats an impressive peice of information to be able to process that...So in a broad spectrum...Each individual who plays the game will have a different experience and different adventure...You can't tell me every book or movie does that. Its a complex subject this idea of video games being a waste of time...I think its more of a problem for people who even start forums as this...I don't go running around saying...Foot ball is a waste of time..Foot ball makes people violent..Football does this that and the other thing...I just enjoy my games and let the world around me get swallowed up in incredible sound effects and worlds created...So come off it...Stop fight a battle you don't need to fight

-reply by Eric

I play video games all the time and I usually believe that what I am doing is a waste of time. I would get so into an MMORPG or an FPS game and just quit because I thought that I should be doing something else. However, I do not believe that all games are a waste of time. Games like Tetris are proven to stimulate the mind. I was once addicted to Tetris before. I am not sure if it did anything to me but I believe I gained from it. A few years back, I played an MMO called Puzzle Pirates. It is a puzzle based game in which you complete different kinds of puzzles and compete against other players. I thought this was productive in a way and was fun at the same time.Those who kill their time on FPS and MMO are wasting their time. Unless you are some kind of Major Leaque Gamer, I think games are a waste of time. Playing maybe an hour a day wouldn't be so bad but if you like me, once I get on a game, it is pretty difficult to get me off.Life is short. You should do yourself a favor and challenge yourself to limit your own time to play video games. It helps if you ask someone else to watch the time for you. When you are playing games, it can be very easy to lose track of time.

In my opinion video games are fine, people just look for ways to bring them down because some Arrogant person has to go do things like in a video game, such as shoot people and not get caught, and get caught or shot. I dont have anything against hardcore players, just as long as they are active in real life and able to support themselves. Speaking of which, when people say hardcore players, people usually think about a fat guy in a run down apartment playing wow or some other stupid game( no offense) When hardcore players are usually competitive in real life too. All in all, people think video games are bad because of the many health problems it can cause. But that is not the case if you use it for something productive, like a tournament. (Awards are given to winning players such as $ or trophies shipped.)And finally, there are games that require you to be able to read while still fun (And I'm not talking about puzzles).

Edited by JamesFreddrikks (see edit history)

Video games are not always a waste of time -- it really depends on which ones you are speaking of.For examples:FPS games (first-person shooters) are excellent for speeding up thought processes. These generally require split-second responding to situations, which increases your ability to react. This is especially true with online gaming.Puzzle games -- These are pretty self-explanatory. All puzzles help with mental "working out."Sports games -- These help with people who enjoy sports. They allow you to test and learn about your favorite sports, as well as do mock-setups for your real teams.RTS games (real-time strategy) -- These help with your ability to think through situations logically. You have to beat your opponent by analyzing their actions and countering them in the best way you can.RPG's/MMORPG's (Role-playing games/massively multiplayer online role-playing games) -- These help out because they are largely based on reading. You read quests to learn about the story-line and what to do next, you get to explore, etc. In the case of MMORPG's you also learn how to work with other players in team-work.Most games really do help you with your mind; a lot of people are just too ignorant to understand it.

Alright ive played video games before I own a ps3 and a few of my friends literally spend hours on end playing cod.. and other fps's its ridiculous. I understand playing video games for a little bit like half an hour but these kids play for atleast 5 hours straight a day. People who waste there time playing games for hours and hours a day when they grow up and become adults there gonna look back at what they did when they were teens and what did they do sat there in there house playing video games?People always rant on about it imrpoving your timing and memory and stuff and its like you know what thats all good but theres other ways to do that not just playing video games for hours a day.dont eliminate video games just tone it down and play way less like an hour a day is the max.

People survived without video games in the past and they can do it now, if they want to, which they don't. So let them choose their hobby and enjoy it :) Most people do know the effects of gaming for long periods of time and even if they don't, they will realise how tired they are the next day and slowly they will learn to stop playing for hours together. Gaming does have a set of disadvantages but the advantages can't be overlooked!

People don't understand why video games are good and bad and make comment based on that. Video games are good if you're all alone. They kill boredom and with networking you can even team up with others and have good time. Video games gives you opportunity to be what you're not in real world. This could be bad as well but people live with that. They want to feel good for what they get in video games. Nothing wrong with that. Video games could be bad if they're played by kids to extent of addiction. I think there are pros and cons but these days of overpopulation and less personal space they're not that bad. Again this is just my opinion .