xisto Community
TeeCee06

Is It Possible To Destroy The Internet?

interesting topic... i remember the days without mobiles and the internet. they were still rather livable of course, and although it would impact the world massively if the internet were to fall, we'd get used to it over time, reverting back to older methods of communication.the destruction of the internet itself doesn't seem like its impossible, though it does appear to be an extremely hard task to accomplish. you'd have to take out so many key internet providing points and even then i'm sure there are some secret facilities which accommodate for say, government or military communication. on the other hand, if the internet was used against itself to block/damage communication ports the idea doesnt seem so far fetched. the idea people have brought up about blocking access of overloading data seems like more of a rational idea for a hacker/retard trying to destroy the internet.anything is possible, but i honestly don't think i'll ever see something like this happening for a long time to come. even then, i'm sure we'll other means of effective communication apart from the internet to keep us going on a daily basis.

Whoever did this would be killed quickly. but maybe it would do us all good. We would be more active and all. but it would be awfully boring. lets just keep it like it is

I think it is pretty much impossible to destroy the internet. Just think of how many web servers there are in 1 country, much less the whole world? And even so, it is so easy to create a web server and another one could be created easily while you are trying to take down 1. The internet is a major part of our lives, not only economically but also academically. There are so many things such as tutorials, e-commerce going on in today's websites. Taking them down would be drastic, the internet is such a big place, it would be very difficult to explore the whole internet using our entire lifespan much less destroy it

I think this would be possible but highly unlikely. There should be a world wide alliance of digital terrorism or something like that. Lots of people to crash all the big servers in the world and none of them failing in that task. And seriously I don?t think there are so many people who hate Internet... I mean. not enough to do this. And anyway, there would be really difficult for them to communicate and set the attack at the very same time without using internet... so I guess people who would do that, will never want to destroy Internet. I mean, most people that hate Internet in the world is supposed to not use it very much... so... ?how could they hack anything without even knowing how to search on google? :blink: Not very easy uh? :wacko: By the way, I haven?t heard about digital doomsday but its only name sounds scary.

There is no way to destroy the internet I think, but there are enough ways of damaging it I guess. Nowadays sites often get ddos'ed (which means people will target the website specifaly and overload its capacity), hacked and various other things done to them. While you don't take down the entire net doing these kind of actions, you do damage parts of it. Hackers can destroy your access to the internet (your own computer) or people might try to take down an Internet Service Provider by either ddos'ing or hacking again. I guess the internet is pretty vulrunable, but taking it down competely seems like an impossible task.I wonder what would happen if someone was able to take down the entire internet, maybe even war? The internet has become very, very unmissable by many of us, for example.. What would you do today if there is no internet anymore? And what would you do tommorow? And the day after? I for example would lose a lot of contacts I have on the internet, it would probably drive me crazy if it wasnt available...

Well what I really think is that SPAM could destroy the internet, just try to umagine internet with no emails :wacko: sounds weird I know but it could happen, If you have ever received thousands of spams per day, and have found an effective way to prevent them from destroying your inbox, please post your ideas here.I have four main e-mail accounts. The main one is flooded with tons of spam everyday, it has reached 5,000 messages, I never check it. On the other hand, the other is always clean, I never receive spam. It's the one only my friends know. but I'm afraid that someday I open them and find "READ ME" from pokh?klp@uyeopjuk.com :blink:

This topic actually reminded me of a nice GIF image showing the message "Downloading the internet" .. " Disk space not enough" !!! It would be really a himalayan task to destroy the internet ., if one thinks ,he has to . ..Maybe one day, all human race might come to an end, with the internet also eventually getting destroyed.. Or, like in the terminator 3 movie, there might be a time when a particular machine gets control over all others , and maybe, gives a thought of self terminating itself, and all computers in the world.. That would be the James Cameroon way to look at this question.. But apart from it, in the present day trend, i guess it is more than impossible to do it.. For one simple reason,, the destroyer would not even have a clue of where to start , and how to go about his attack. Maybe, he can affect the way it works , for a period of time.. But that too would be restricted to a period of time with the power of Internet. We , could of course argue by saying "Where there is a will, there is a way !!!" After watching sci fi movies , like Terminator, matrix triologies, we could expect anything to happen to us in the future !!! But, if common sense prevails, Internet is immortal, as far as i am concerned .. .

Yes, it is possible to take down the Internet. I don't think it will be permanently, and even if it was possible, I think it would only be the HTTP protocol being taken down, unless there is sufficient bandwidth, etc.First of all, there would only be 1 server on the Internet. All of the routers will point to this server, and this server will contain all the HTTP protocol data on it.Once all of the servers are removed from the Internet, everyone will try to connect to this 1 server. Most likely and almost frequently, it will result in a system crash because of over bandwidth.In the system crash, disconnect power to this server and smash it to bits.Therefore, the only remaining Internet would be SMTP (email), Telnet, Gopher and the, obviously, Filesystem protocols.It is just a theory, and it is realistic. Good luck on destroying the Internet, you'll need it.

Actually, while it may not be possible to remove the internet, it is possible to create a way to stop people from using it.
Have you heard of, "Digital Doomsday"? This is a theory that, what with all the internet hackers getting smarter every day, soon someone will have figured out a way to send a powerful virus to everyone connected to the internet, with the ability to permanently jam the connections. This basically will make the internet useless, which is just as bad as destroying it, really.

or they cause a computer system unable to be used because when they go on, they implant a virus that makes their computer only do one action. Calculate Pi

Yes, it is possible to take down the Internet. I don't think it will be permanently, and even if it was possible, I think it would only be the HTTP protocol being taken down, unless there is sufficient bandwidth, etc.
First of all, there would only be 1 server on the Internet. All of the routers will point to this server, and this server will contain all the HTTP protocol data on it.

Once all of the servers are removed from the Internet, everyone will try to connect to this 1 server. Most likely and almost frequently, it will result in a system crash because of over bandwidth.

In the system crash, disconnect power to this server and smash it to bits.

Therefore, the only remaining Internet would be SMTP (email), Telnet, Gopher and the, obviously, Filesystem protocols.

It is just a theory, and it is realistic. Good luck on destroying the Internet, you'll need it.

No offense but I think your post is very funny. :rolleyes:

First of all, there is NO single server that "contains" or controls the Internet. The Internet is just like any other network. However, it is special in the sense that it is the network of all networks which means that all the networks (publicly accessible) around the globe actually constitutes the Internet.

And.. it is virtually impossible to take down the whole Internet because doing that means that you have to take down:
1. each and every node connected to the Internet
2. each and every wide-area network connected to the Internet which implies that
3. you take down each and every local-area network that constitutes the WANs.

Simply think of destroying the Internet like destroying the Earth. Cyberspace is actually "vast", just like real space is.

HTTP, SMTP, Gopher, etc. are protocols right? It means that these protocols are simply "rules of communication" over networks, PCs, and even intra-PC communication.

The point is... Killing the Internet is not like killing protocols like HTTP, etc. You have to bring down the servers like web servers, FTP servers, etc.

I would just like to point out these things... No offense.

Exploding all cables connections over the world it's a good start.so easily xD

I think inducing an electromagnetic field so strong that it screws up the circuitry of electronic devices by inducing charges would be a better solution. :)

i don't think the internet could be destroyed there are computer masters out there planning these kinds of situation everyday we just don't now about it. Also if an event like this did happen i guarantee that it will be solved in 5 min cause then all the greatest computer masters will band together and take out this menace and save the internet once more. LOL