xisto Community
AlternativeNick

Google And Youtube?

i read in the paper today that google bought out youtube.com this week for 1.65 billion dollars. Now thats a big aqusition for google, and if im not mistaken, the biggest purchase theyve made during theyre 8 years in business. this is a big change from when google was just a small search engine way back in the day.but aside from that, dont you find it a bit odd that google bought youtube, when googlevideo just started up not very long ago?let me know how you all feel about this, and i might come up with some more information.

The reason why Google bought YouTube was that it was beating Google video, and Google now has the money to buy what it can't beat. I doubt Google will change YouTube hugely as YouTube how it is seems to be very successful (If it isn't broke, don't break it). I am happy with the change over, having said that, I don't use YouTube much anyway, when I go there, most of the time it is because I am directed by one of my friends to a specific video.

The way I look at it, it's more money to their pockets. They could be doing it to eliminate competition by being the competition. Or they could be combining the two together as part of a project. It's really hard to say what their plans/ideas are with this purchase but I'm sure whatever it is they will make money out of it in the long run. I have been thinking about this yesterday and I'm anxious to see what happens.

Yeah Google sure seems to be taking over whatever comes its way in a way that its looking almost unstopable now. There is a lot of difference between the path followed by google and microsoft, one of them being the innovations of google have really been helpful to most of us folks rather than being plain annoying and creepy like most of microsoft deals

But now that google has taken over youtube, expect alot of video's to be deleted especially anything game,sex, violent related. Although the article clamed about some copyright deals being made before the purchase google will compromise and delete anything of what i just mentioned. It's smart business because then everyone will try to sue for copyright infringment.

i read in the paper today that google bought out youtube.com this week for 1.65 billion dollars. Now thats a big aqusition for google, and if im not mistaken, the biggest purchase theyve made during theyre 8 years in business. this is a big change from when google was just a small search engine way back in the day.
but aside from that, dont you find it a bit odd that google bought youtube, when googlevideo just started up not very long ago?

let me know how you all feel about this, and i might come up with some more information.

as long as it's still the same videos as youtube i don't care who buys it, it just better not be different because i have some videos of me and friends that i don't have on my computer anymore! i don't know what happens when websites get bought out by others but i hope it's just a name like sprint to embarq *crosses fingers*

This is a very good thing for everyone. First of all, the folks who owned youtube most likely would not be able to afford the bandwidth costs of the site after a year or 2 since they were rising exponentially. Google will have no problems added the site to its own servers, etc. where they already have huge discounted rates on bandwidth. As for the changes to it, google wont delete anything unless they recieve a subpenia and or they know that it would be illegal to have it. They most likely will implement the adsense program on the site to help with costs of youtub and finally they will most likely add google search to the content which will be a great improvement over the current search youtube had implemented.

They are simpling buying out competition, it might not be to long before they buy ask.com or msn.com or something or that sort. They want to be dominent and they are proving that with this deal. I don't think it will hurt their incomes or reduce them. I don't believe they bought it to make more money. As for what is already on Youtube, I doubt they will delete the content, but they might. You never know with Google. Interesting to see what Google will do and buy in the next couple of years.

some updated information, i read in the newspaper again todayyoutube owners had met with a few of the multimedia giants, and convinced them that allowing copyrighted material to be posted would benefit the media companies, because it allowed people who use the internet as their sole entertainment medium can now be exposed to TV shows and movies, that otherwise they would have never seen, bringing more viewers to the networks, theaters, etc. so no copyright suits are seen in the near feature

Thats a large ammount of money there.. I hope google can make Youtube better somehow, by getting more workers or new feature of some sort. Personally, the way google videos is, I don't quite like so much because it is not as well known as Youtube and youtube seems like a nicer looking layout. Youtube has millions of videos and its very popular, compared to google video. Most of my friends and schoolmates refer to Youtube as the video store, and google as the search engine, thats it! Now that google bought Youtube, hopefully it will help them dominate other sites and be known globally.

This is very smart business by Google, like what all of you said. Eliminating competition by being the competition. Youtube has been the most popular video uploading site in the internet as of late, more so than google and yahoo. And I can only see more benefits for youtube user, such as the bandwidth and space capacity to upload videos. Regarding the copyrights issue, you mean now we can watch our favourite shows on youtube.com and there will be no restrictions on it being a copyrighted material?

However, google must not let their guards down so soon... There's currently another beta by Microsoft msn that is call SoapBox, which is the msn version of the youtube... Its been currently slowly getting more members and the layout and interface of SoapBox is simply fantastic! So I guess google will have yet another competition very soon and then it will certainly be a competition to see 2 of the biggest company fighting it out! :)

This buyout proves that Google Video was a failure, and likewise, this was a very smart move by Google, to buyout a competitor.

That is the smartest opinion I have heard all day, and probably the most truthful, too.