xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Php Script/tutorial Test Site . Another Xisto Service Possibility

Last couple of weeks I been having this idea for another volunteer xisto service. We take php scripts from across the net, from tutorial sites, download sites and what not and test them out to see if they actually work.Then give them a rating of 1-5 1 being the script don't work and 5 being the script works like it supposed to. If they do work we provide a live demo to it.Now The set up would go like thisif the script runs into problems we would post the problem through a news/comment system (like cutenews) and we would provided the neccessary files for others to take a crack at it and if they solve the problem we of course would test it out to make sure and if it does work we change the rating and of course give to the person/s for solving it.If it does work we have a link to a demo version of what it susposed and of course provide a tutorial on how to set it up.Any thoughts, suggestions, people want to join in this little project?no time frame yet, watign on the responses on this site and at Xisto as well.of course I'm not good with names for websites but toss some name suggestions as well.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

right now all it has is web stats scripts running and cute news.

What I did was book mark the scripts that I used and once I set hte rating system up then I use one of them to set up how to code and rate it as well.

I did see a ratings system but I have to find out if it will work through cute news because I didn't bother trying a different news script. Plus it solved the access to the site at a point. When people are ready to upload a script that they went through, they just copy and past the info and bam done.

Can anyone verify that putting a php include in a cute news article will run properly?

Also recommend a good rating script as well that can be used for this site.

Yeah, this is a great idea SM, and I would certainly like to be a part of it. I like mucking around with PHP scripts and seeing if they will ever work, as most don't install exactly right first time. At the moment I know nothing about CuteNews, so I can't help you there, but good luck with the site.

By the way, I would kick-in some hours, too.By the way: one problem that I foresee is having the ?correct? version of php available. Since there are several versions out there, ie: Xisto uses ver. 4.4.2, is there a way to have multiple versions on the server to test against? Could we test them in a php4 and also a php5 version and report which versions worked and which ones don't?

I would also be interested, because I think it really is a good Idea. Right now Im just getting started with php. All thanks to that php in pictures book that was shared about a couple of months ago here. I really think an idea like that would really help some of us out here in Xisto.

Im a surprised by the amount of replys on both sites I got on this hopefully I will have a general Idea on the set up on how the tutorial/rating system will go.Only problem that has come is access and management of the site. Although the look may change in the future, the problem everyone will need access to the site to test their scripts and what not. doing ftp accounts will be fine and access to cute news would be easy.But the main problem right now is that it's impossbile to isolate mysql for individual people to use. With that being the case only the most trusted would be aloowed full access to the site while others have to test out the scripts they are doing somewhere else and then give the admin that info to load up themselves.Right now we would need to figure out how to solve that little problem to make this a reality.

This sounds like an excellent idea Mike. The problem you mention with mySQL access might not be the only thing to consider. Is OpaQue ok with this? Some of these scripts *might* do some funky things to his server, I'd hate to see one of these scripts we test crash the server and stop access for everyone. I know OpaQue has tried to make the servers basically bullet-proof, and has mostly succeeded, but you never know what a rogue script could do.All that being said, if OpaQue is happy with the idea, then I'm more than willing to help.

Some of these scripts *might* do some funky things to his server, I'd hate to see one of these scripts we test crash the server and stop access for everyone. I know OpaQue has tried to make the servers basically bullet-proof, and has mostly succeeded, but you never know what a rogue script could do.

I imagine that the scripts would not be run on the server, ie: not demo'd, until the members have reviewed the scripts and tested them on their own install of php/mysql ( a local version of XAMMP or similar ). Possibly then a test on their own Xisto account? or a Xisto dot net account? If it is all good, then the demo could be hooked up to the site and a review published.
Reading the script would let you know if there is anything potentially disabling in there. Part of the review would be to confirm that user input is 'cleansed'. We would need to standardize that code and process.

Just a few random thoughts.

I Toss the idea to him he pretty much had the same concerns that havn't been listed yet but he like the idea.

Also I need some one to create the following banners for the rss feeds using this generator

http://button.blogflux.com/

any color combo will do, but keep it within reason

# * Advertising# * Affiliates
# * Calendars
# * Chat Scripts
# * Cookies
# * CMS
# * Date & Time
# * Downloads
# * File Upload
# * Forms
# * Guestbooks
# * Images
# * Membership Scripts
# * Navigation & Templates
# * News Scripts
# * Page Numbering
# * Polling
# * Quotes
# * Rotation
# * RSS Feeds
# * Searching
# * Security
# * Sessions
# * Skins and Themes
# * Shoutboxes
# * User Info & Stats

I also Added some new stuff to the site, for mostly appearence I did add a poll script to see what people right.

This time I need some input on what I should keep or change on the site.

for a slight update I have perspective rating system for the scripts that will be reviewed. Hopefully in a few days I will have a possible review set up for everyone to use and demo of how it will look as well.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/