xisto Community
beastjordan

Hot Bath Can Relax You

I wish I had a bath tub! I only get to use a bath tub when I go overseas and I stay in hotels that have nice toilets and bath tubs. A good warm soak improves blood circulation and opens up your pores to intoxicate you. Hence, you are healthier, and you'll feel more comfortable physically and mentally too. I also like a hot shower, since I don't have a bath tub.

I would suggest, that when you are returning from long and tiring job, and it is summer, you (I) will decide to take a pretty cold shower, which will take out the unnecessary heat of your body. Conversely, if you are tired at the winter, you will get colder when you are returning back from the work, so you decide to take a hot shower.The hot shower in the winter will make your muscles relax, you will be hot and somehow protected from the flu (yeah, you could combine it with hot cup of tea...). Don't overdo the cold shower in the summer, couse you will get opposite effect... I got sick few times couse of that.

I also feel it very relaxing... It helps me sleep. I am not sure of the biological effects that it creates in our body.

A hot bath is probably the original hydrotherapy treatment, and still the best. But as much as you may already enjoy a hot bath, you may not be tapping its full potential. At its best, a hot bath can be a very powerful tool for healing. But to get the most out of it, a little knowledge is very helpful.

Bathing for relaxation

A hot bath is relaxing. It was the original psychotherapy, and I suspect it is still the best.

Technically speaking, however, hot baths are neurologically stimulating. The sensation of relaxation is an illusion, caused by the need to be still while body temperature is restored to normal. While some people do get drowsy after a hot bath, most remain alert for at least an hour.

The most relaxing baths are actually in lukewarm water. Most people I know still prefer a good hot soak, but your nervous system is the most sedated by a not-so-hot bath. If you are taking a bath to get to sleep, try this kind of bath instead.

Bathing for elimination

You sweat under water. In a very hot bath, oddly enough, you can lose a lot of fluid.

Sweating is an important form of excretion, and many waste metabolites and toxins are removed from the body this way. Exercise is one way to do this. A hot bath is a lot easier ? and, in fact, people usually sweat much more in a bath than they ever do when exercising.

Some people will call this ?detoxification,? a word that gets thrown around too casually, usually to make something sound more therapeutic than it really is. A good sweat is a good thing, but it isn?t ?detoxifying? any more (or any less) than having a bowel movement! It is more level-headed to simply say that it stimulates ?elimination? of waste products.

But sweating a lot in a bath also means that you must drink water ? before, during and after! This is a vital key that most people miss. If you don?t hydrate, a hot bath may actually be stressful to your system ? and I think this is why some people do not like baths. You must replace lost fluids to feel good later.

Baths for relieving muscle aching

Hot baths are good for muscle soreness. I don?t believe there is any ?official? scientific reason for this ? it?s not exactly a hot target for research dollars. However, I have some ideas ?

Systemic heating can do something for muscles that no hot pack can ever do. As good as a nice hot pack can feel, the effect is mainly neurological ? heat is soothing to a muscle in distress. A hot bath has this effect also, but it additionally is able to actually increase the temperature inside a hurting muscle without exercising it.

Hot packs cannot increase the heat inside your muscles. The human body is incredibly good at getting rid of heat. When you try to heat a muscle with a hot pack, you end up heating just the superficial blood, which quickly gets pumped away and immediately cooled. It has been shown that local heating never ?penetrates? much deeper into the tissue than a centimeter, if that. The only really effective way to heat a specific muscle is by making it work, produce heat from the inside out, metabolically. But often this is not desirable in an injured or very fatigued muscle. So what to do? How to get the benefits of heating? The hot bath may work.

In a hot bath, excess heat has nowhere to go. The body cannot get rid of it, anywhere. The entire system heats up slightly, like a fever. It?s not a lot, but it?s much more than you can manage with a hot pack. And this is probably good for sore muscles in several ways.

Another common idea for bathing is that Epsom salts assist with detoxification and recovery from minor injuries, aches and pain. Do they?

Do epsom salts work?

Almost certainly not. Unfortunately, evidence and careful consideration of the evidence strongly suggests that dissolving Epsom salts ? magnesium sulfate heptahydrate ? in your bath doesn?t do anything at all except make the water feel kind of silky. It?s a pleasant effect, but not therapeutic, or even cosmetic ? just aesthetic!

The skin is almost completely waterproof, and passes no molecules or ions except via pores. Osmotic effect is irrelevant, and magnesium sulfate ions can?t get in. The final word is that ?anything is possible,? but the smart money says, ?don?t bother!?

Not convinced? Epsom salt baths are discussed in (surprising) detail in the article Reality Check! Don't Bother With Epsom Salt Baths.

Much better for backs

A hot bath is not only a much better choice for the great majority of low back pain than icing ? which is usually harmful ? soaking in the tub may even be the single best therapy there is for low back pain. Or at least the best bang for your buck!

The great majority of low back pain is muscular in origin. Specifically, the immediate cause of the pain is myofascial trigger points (?knots? in your muscles), which can cause far more grief than most people realize ? and yet they are relatively treatable. A little reassurance, rubbing, and a hot bath go a surprisingly long way, even with the most horrendous case of low back pain. And while massage therapy is probably the single most effective therapy for most people, most of the time ? a hot bath is pretty effective too, and the price sure is right.

Trigger points are eased by heat, and usually irritated by cold. For more information about why you shouldn?t ice low back pain, see (Almost) Never Ice Low Back Pain!. For (much) more information about the nature of low back pain, see Save Yourself from Low Back Pain!.

Keep a cool head

One of the best things you can do to get the most from a hot bath is to keep a cool head. Or feet or hands. Or all three.

As beneficial as it can be, your body doesn?t really like to be heated up entirely, with no opportunity at all for heat shedding. This creates an artificial fever, which can have some unpleasant side effects, such as headaches.

So dump glasses of cool water over yourself! Drape a cool washcloth over your neck. Spray your feet with a shower hose. Give your body some opportunity to shed a little heat. Your core body temperature will still go up, but it will cause less physiological stress. You may be quite surprised at how much this improves the quality of the experience.

Hi when i get in a hot nice bath i always fell relaxed calm and tired :D What i want to know is why do i feel this? and do you fell the same?
Here are some reasons i think cause this:

The main reason i think is that people have had a hard days work and that there muscles tense up.
having are bath lossens them thuss making us fell relaxed. :D

Well i love a long hot bath or shower! :P Do you?

ofcourse i do! it just makes me so calm.. and takes me out of the world.. u know just standing in the shower jamming to ur favoritye songs.. american idol style baby XD i heart taking showers.. gives me an exccuse to not see my parents

"What does a hot bath do for you?" For starters it raises your surface temperature and allows your capillaries to open all the way which allows the full and proper circulation of blood. Because you are no longer losing heat your body doesn't have to work to keep up your core temperature though in very hot water it may be working to keep it down. Proper blood circulation means proper removal of the lactic acid which is the cause of sore muscles.

reading through this, i somehow think i'm ready for a relaxing hot bath at this point. :) i'm a little stressed out, and i feel my muscles aching quite a bit. i need to ease up a bit, and some alone time in a bath tub and some light reading is in order. :) i sure need the beneficial points in taking a hot bath raised in this thread!

I ADORE a hot bath or shower! It makes me relaxed, and ready for the day. I especially like long ones. However, my parent's have said I have to cut down on baths and showers that take more than 20 Minutes. Which is a real bummer.However, I sneak one in every now and again. It really makes me relaxed. And I seem to be in a better mood after it.

I too love to have a hot water bath, whenever i get stressed up. I guess it kind of massages the muscles or improves blood circulation. Just get that kind of feel whenever i get a warm water bath.

I love hot baths. We have not got a tub or something like that, only a shower. But we kind of have this "porcelain bucket" that I fill with hot water and stuff my feet in them. (Kind of like a bubble bath for my feet.) Combined with some music on the radio, I feel very relaxed.Goooo, porcelain bucket!

I believe that hot baths do help relaxe People because like you already stated, they help loses tight muscles and there just peaceful. When i take a hot bath i literally put it as hot as my body can take it because i find it numbs your body which really helps if your in pain or are really stressed because sometimes people dont know that they have tight muscles or knots in their backs so taking a hot bath would be perfect tohelp relief that stress off your shoulders. Literally!<_<............:(.......................:(.................:o....................:P.....................:(..................:(.................:P......................:(.............:(So next time your feeling a little tense and want to find a way to just relaxe and get some of that weight off your shoulders try taking a nice long hot bath and im sure you will feel lots more better then you did:)

I agree they do relax you and make your body feel loads better. I hate getting a shower but i love the nice hot bath.I tend to enjoy a bath more after i have played football. I will sit in there and relax for up to a hour and keep topping it up with warm water as it gets cool. Lazy i know but i just dont want to get out lol.Before i get a bath my muscles are killing me. But after the hour or so in the bath then my body feels a whole lot better. im not sure how or why but it works <_<