xisto Community
adriantc

Why Did The Roman Empire Fall? The reasons for its decline and fall

Well, this is certainly a refreshing post, a few more like it please....Now just a few comments. Firstly, I noticed the reference to Hitler and the third Reich, it should, however, be clearly understood that this all stemmed from the first Reich of the 1860's with particular reference to Namibia and the first death camps. Hitler was indoctrinated by the generals of this period in his youth which is how the later atrocities came into being. In the interim, the Germans had re-written their history books to hide these earlier times of which they were ashammed.I cannot see the theory of the rise and fall of empires on a proportionate time scale to be correct as I can't think of any other which would match. The British Empire which was purely based upon economics and business in that developing the nations of the empire drove the industry at home as well as world markets in staple products such as tea, rubber and sugar. It only took less than fifty years to collapse due to the two world wars.....I am, however curios as to WHY the technology of ancient empires always died along side the empire itself though... Does anyone have theories as to why this is? After all, does ot make sense that the next civilisation doesn't need the same level of sanitation or water for instance?

I don't think the Roman empire fell.I think it justslowly crumbled away as other powers grew.Not only that but where there is power, there iscorruption.Rome probably became really corruptas well with it's leaders very self serving.This helped to slowly rot it away as itcrumbled.

I am, however curios as to WHY the technology of ancient empires always died along side the empire itself though... Does anyone have theories as to why this is? After all, does ot make sense that the next civilisation doesn't need the same level of sanitation or water for instance?

When a single government controls advanced technology and bloody war causes it to collapse, especially when that war was with uncivilized barbarians, the technology is lost because the knowledge of that technology is never passed to someone else. Because of this, whenever a war causes a dramatic change in power, human civilization effectively gets blasted back hundreds of years in development.

I think the Roman Empire was a fad for the big boys of politics and Law. (Also I think Poli is latin is Evil, and tics is Blood Sucking Creatures :))Anyway the Romans got bored of the fad, and this is when the Empire broke down. It's like how other countries and empire ruled. Same thing happened there. Now it's Obama has control over alot of things, eventually this US over the World thing will stop soon, next country might be North Korea :/

I don't really AGREE THAT Rome fell because of Christianity...Come on.Most likely it fell because of the greed of roman citizens and their emperors.I also think that it had something to do with Rome getting poorer and poorer...Therefore, not being able to provide work for the poor. The poor then started rebelling. They were the most likely cause to why the Rpman Empire fell. 

-reply by Lola D

Barbarian Invasion and corrupt Government are two mostly agreed upon reasons for the decline and fall of the roman empire. Part of the decline of the Roman Empire was the vast number of barbarians migrating from one section of Europe and Asia to another. Some people say that the division in religion and culture weakened the roman empire as a whole. High prices and severe taxation also played a part.-reply by AlexisK

Why did the Roman Empire fall?Why Did The Roman Empire Fall?

When Constantine chose Christianity as Rome's official religion, there was certainly an interest in a religion that would not pose a threat to Rome. This varies immensely from Islam and Judaism which created a political system from the religion. Constantine assigned a pope to ensure that the "correct" passive christian dogma would be taught. The religion that made the people easy to manage, also gave them no purpose in preservation or creation of "worldly" things. With the demise of Rome, society was thrown into the christian guided dark ages until the appearance of Martin Luther who dealt a significant blow to catholicism allowing the renaissance.

- Reply by Jeff

Fall of the Roman EmpireWhy Did The Roman Empire Fall?

This is in response to George Balileyster's question...I asked myself that question many times. My thinking is, the people were barbarians, and they were ignorant of  keeping their bodies clean, and using a toilet. Since they killed most of the male population there was no one around to teach them something as easy as using a toilet, now the part about keeping their bodies clean, that stumps me to this day. Why would anyone not want to wash everyday?? It makes no sense to me..I guess that is why after the Barbarians took over we had the dark ages..People died because there was no more sanitation. People threw their shiat and pee right out their windows. The dark ages lasted for 1000 years...There wasn't even toilets again until the 1800's...

Pat

Why the empire fellWhy Did The Roman Empire Fall?

This is in response To Alex Cicala

I find it rather amusing that still after all of these months, ignorant people like you have to bring President Obama into something that has nothing to do with him. This is about the possible reasons for the fall of the Roman Empire..The more people like you talk, the more ignorant, no I take that back, the stupider you look..The way you put the word polotics together is just priceless. Why don't you go and listen to your hero Rush Limbaugh and leave history to the people who really want to learn about it?? Now kindly STFU Alex..

I too think Christianity had something to do with the fall of the Roman Empire, It wasn't just that however, I think it was a lot of little things that just added up. I am not really qualified to give anything other than my opinion but I think that the Roman people got sick of the way they were being treated, they may have not enjoyed the brutal murders in the colliseums, and I think they were too greedy, they wanted to rule the whole world. And lets not forget. Many wars have been fought over religion, and the early Christian Missinaries were cruel murderers. You either became a Christian, or you were killed.. I also agree with the person who mentioned lead in the pipes. Many people got sick and died from lead poisoning...So you see there are too many reasons that the Empire fell, and it didn't fall in one day the way some people make it seem, this happened over many decades if not centuries...

Pat

that doesnWhy Did The Roman Empire Fall?If Christianity played a big part in the fall of the Roman Empire, why would the Romans execute the Christians? That theory is a little shakey because of the fact that one of the main entertainment for the Romans was watching gladiator fights, executions, and the feeding of Christians to the lions. It probably had an affect, but not great enough for the Empire to fall. It probably was more of the fact that Julius Caesar was killed. Because many people acually liked Caesar and fallowed him. His assassination had a big affect on the empire. Also, the burning of Rome could have had an affect. The truth is, that a lot of things are just opinions or theories of the main reason why the Roman Empire did fall.-reply by Sabrina

Who cruicified Jesus?Why Did The Roman Empire Fall?

The Jews crucified Jesus through the Romans. At the time of Jesus' crucifixion, the Romans had conquered all the area in which Jesus lived and taught. The Romans allowed the Jews to continue with their Sanhedrin (their government), but the Romans took away capital punishment from the Jews. In order to have Jesus crucified, the Jewish leaders had to manipulate Rome into doing it. First, the Jewish leaders had to lie - make up charges (Lk. 23: 2, 3). The Jewish leaders persisted in their demands for crucifixion (vss. 5-19). New Testament writers charged the Jews with having crucified Jesus (Acts 2: 36, 3: 13-17).

-reply by watchbird

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Like the Chinese dynasties from ancient times, I have a little study on it, the rise of the dynasties usually coincide with a great ruler who is able to galvantise his people and army. Once the kingdom/dynasty is established, then the period of complacent will set in. This usually happens, at least in the chinese dynasties, with the subsequent rulers. As they say, one era will be worse than the previous. It just deteriorate to the point, whereby either the people or most of the cases, enemy forces conquer and took over. The cycle will continue again.

Interesting post because all of us had only heard about the roman empire but maybe dont know how this great empire maybe the greatest empire of all the human history could fall down after dominate almost all the world. Maybe I have another theories about the fall of the roman empire:1. There are a lot of evidences of disalignment in the roman army because some generals where thinking in their own interest if the empire falls. A lot of important people of Rome was rewarded in some or another way with the fall of the empire.2. I have heard another documentaries where say that the emperors ate their food in plumb plates and it is demostrated by the science that the plumb damage the brain functions of thinking and reality and maybe this suspected madness combined with all the vices of the emperors could be one of the reasons of the end of the empire.3. The barbarians. All civilization have their enemies and actually we can see this in the fight between the capitalism society with the comunism or almost comunist countries like Rusia. The main feature of this people who is against the developed civilization in all the human history is their perseverance generation by generation and the incredible hate that they can develop against the dominating civilization. The barbarians had defeat by defeat in almost a millenium but they never surrender and at the end they had their victory.4. The empire system. I am totally agree with all my friends that maybe this type of government was useless to contain all the problems that Rome had in those times. Maybe a little democracy or a capable dictator could contain all this problems but the hereditary system was completely useless.5. Cristianity. I am cristian but I have to admit that all the religions had some type of danger to the human develop because all we know the history of heaven and SION but we all are here in the earth and we have to do something with our lives and the cristianity maybe make the people lazy and the people dont have any type of superation spirit in their lives, they only are waiting for the dead and that is not correct. We can be religious but no lazy.At the end I think that all the empires had to fall some day but it?s incredible how some great empires like the roman empire fell down when I imagine that it those days maybe that?s looked imposible.Great topic and bye.