xisto Community
TypoMage

Making A Site Please help me

I need a site that will tell me everything! Everything about making a site! I do not want to miss one deail!I have gone to the cpanel very confusing! I edited the site then I went to it and it says welcome to your hosting site! I am going completely crazy! I only people that can be very very helpful to post here!I am completely stuck :)

just look around the forums for advice on making your site

basic stuff:

Put all of your things in the public_html or www folders when you login to your file manager with the file manager that is in the cpanel, or by finding an FTP Client, search the forums for info on FTP Clients or google it...

the page that shows welcome to your hosting site! is the index.html page, and when you go to put your site up, you should have an index.html or anindex.php page because that is the first page that will show up when people go to your site, and from that index page you can direct them to other links on your site...

now if you dont know HTML umm i wish you good luck and try a few of these sites for some HTML type things, like linking, and putting an image up etc....

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

http://www.ipl.org/div/kidsweb/

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_intro.asp

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/

http://www.w3schools.com/html/ <<goes into GREAT detail about HTML

good luck

The best way is probably going to be to make a test page and put that somewhere, to make sure that you know where to put the files. Open Notepad and copy and paste this into it:

<html><head><title>Test Page</title></head><body><p>This should appear when it is in the right place, and the default page will go.</p></body></html>

Save that as index.html (make sure Notepad doesn't put a .txt extension on). Then go into cPanel and load up the file manager. Open the public_html directory. There should be 1 file inside it (index.htm). Delete that file by clicking the file name then clicking Delete on the right hand side. Then click the link to upload a file, and upload the new index.html you just made. Go to your web address now and you should see that page rather than the T17 default one.

To make more interesting pages, I suggest you look at the links Albus has provided, especially W3Schools. Just remember that the first page anyone will see of your website is the file called index.html inside the directory called public_html/b]. Visitors cannot see any other directories, only what is inside the public_html folder.

If you need any more help then feel free to PM or email me and I wil help you as best I can.

if you know html and want to learn how to create more interactive stuff like email sending forms and the like try the COMPUTERS/PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES/PHP FORUM here on Xisto.

For a more in depth guide to PHP visit http://php.net/ its great for learning the various commands and functions of the php language :-)

Umm thanks for the help :P But can someone show me where I can find a free html guide.I want this guid to include everything. From the basics to the advanced. I do not want to pay no no no pay!!Sometimes when I post to find something FREE someone gives me a offer for money. I am not that old enough or do not have the extra money to pay for these things Free! FREE! :)

I have gone there before Albus D. But it only said the basics :) Or am I looking in the wrong place o the site?It talked about tables and all of that stuff but is that all there is to html? There is more but where can I find it on that site.

The markup tags tell the Web browser how to display the page

that website, covers everything in HTML for making a website, with the tables you can make a website layout if you know how to use tables well enough....

W3school is the best website for learning web code at. Get books out from your local library, just read them whenever you can and youll soon get the hang of it.

I wish making a website was easier then this. I mean it is way to complicated. :P I do not think I will ever be able to make a website. :P Posting in forums is still fun. Well I will learn. But I still need help. So please help me. Is there a easier way? Besides html. :)

Hey, don't lose heart. HTML is fun.(Especially when you dont know much about it and still creating killer websites)Ya I said killer websites without learning HTML. Ofcourse basic stuff (like full form of HTML) etc will help you making more-killer websites.OK, back to business. Believe me you can design very nice websites without learning HTML.(And when you do that HTML is already learnt, subtly)Go use a web-page design software like Microsoft Front Page or Macromedia Dreamweaver. Let me say FrontPage:1- Open a new blank page in design mode.(They have design mode, code mode and preview)2-Write whatever you like: (I expect you can type well)Do what ever formatting the text by going to FORMAT>FONT etc.Insert images from INSERT>PICTURE option.........save the page and upload somewhere. Let's see if this could convince you HTML IS FUN.(Ya if you can't get Front Page, do the same with Microsoft Word)All the best.

Hmmmm sounds interesting so where can I download one of those and which one is the most best? And also do any of them cost money? Ok here is what I am looking for. The free best one and is easy to use. So tell me which one is for me.

Well, I usually code my html files with notepad, a free and available in all windows... Frontpage are available by purchasing it... Microsoft Word requires purchasing of Microsoft Office and Macromedia Dreamweaver too requires you to purchase the product... Unless you get a crack of it, but I wouldnt recommend since its illegal, you could probably use notepad and learn it from scratch... Try w3schools(as said) for html tutorial startup guide, they'll help...

http://www.w3schools.com/

Edited by hype (see edit history)

You could also use one of those online free site creaters that some offer. They can then prodeuce the whole thing for you without having to know any HTML. However, if you want to change a detail that isn't in there wizard, you'll have to learn the HTML, it's a catch 22, if you don't learn the basics, you can't progress through to the advanced stuff.

Well thanks alot for all of your help. What do you guys use to make your site? I have heard that most people do not use html anymore it is more like Java and Msql(Or something like that.)