xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
braitt

Introducing Opera! The Fastest Web Browser On Earth! as they say..

I'm glad the tip was useful for you. Windows and linux both have issues with measuring memory management. I recommend reading http://www.opera.com/blogs/news/ and http://www.kejut.com/browsermemory for information. Basically, the working set (virtual pages in memory) are freed when minimizing the application, thus showing actual memory usage.

Thank you for clarifying the Opera / GMail problem. It's very odd because I have never experienced it myself, and I've been using Opera since version 5/6 (when it was still ad-supported).

Before I installed linux, I was using Opera as my primary browser on Windows XP. Every once in a while, a flash site would go haywire and send CPU usage up to 90+%. However, that only happened when something actually went wrong with the webpage or the plugin crashed. I'll keep an eye out for this problem (since I have a 2 core CPU, I never noticed it before since one of the cores could be totally occupied and I'd still have a fully responsive system).

Regards,

z.

I love Opera and have been using it for what seems like forever. In my opinion, it is way way way better than Firefox, which is pretty good. Internet Explorer is complete junk. Opera does have some bugs loading webpages but on those rare occasions I use firefox which is quite a bit slower but gets the job done. Opera is incredibly fast on dial-up which is what i'm stuck with using. It might not make a difference on broadband, but for me the difference between loading this page on opera and firefox is like, 20-30 seconds.

After using Opera for so long, I can't stand using other browsers. I always try to use mouse gestures until I realize that actually have to click the buttons to go back or change tabs. Dragonfly also makes web development so much easier. It's always interesting to see what new innovation the Opera dev team will come up with. I don't think any other browser has anything like Turbo (compression by proxy for low-bandwith connections) or Unite (web content hosted from your computer), though it remains to be seen whether Unite will take off or not. What kind of applications do you think Unite will be used for? The demo applications are nothing that hasn't been done before, but it's still an interesting idea. (before anyone says "Firefox has mouse gestures too," I use Firefox too, but I like Opera better :(

Well opera IS fast brower, but it's not quite the best because it hasn't got many many items that other browsers have :) It's good for surfing, but not the best, as you can surf with mozilla :D

Wait, I'm sorry.  I thought you were describing Opera.  ;)

(You realize Opera does all those things too, right?)

I've tried Opera before and it's pretty good. The only problem is that it sometimes displays HTML much differently than Internet Explorer or Mozilla does. This makes for some pretty skewered looking pages. Why this happens I don't know. I imagine there would probably be some real problems and discrepancies with client side JavaScript.

Opera is a very good browser indeed. For one it saves web pages to hard drive much more successfully complete than explorer or mozilla does. But it also works really great on a single core cpu laptop behind virtual machine software. Opening up new tabs is another goodie which opera is better to at. Mozilla is also very good. The main thing that i see internet explorer "8" has over other browsers is it antialiases text on webpages really well. I'm not sure many other browsers do that (at least not on my versions of firefox and opera which are recent versions).

Opera is an amazing browser. It is my second choice after firefox but only because of the tons of plug-ins available for firefox. Opera 10 is by far the fastest browser that I have used (Especially with turbo, it's just mind boggling).IE is crap and frankly, chrome isn't really there yet.

Lol@- Using Opera now.Main browser I use, and have been using it as my main since I downloaded it. The only browser I'd even compare would have to be Firefox.- Which, for the most part, only appeal is the plug-ins.The only time I use IE is when checking Myspace/Facebook.. But that's just because Opera doesn't seem to agree with them.

I am using opera as an alternative to Firefox but i love firefox much because of its add ons and themes.. yeah opera is fast but sometimes having some errors maybe it was just me who is experiencing that

Opera is good, and admittedly it is the fastest, but I still love Firefox. The extensions, the themes, I like the Firefox ones better. When I want widgets, I have Windows Sidebar there anyway, and FireFTP is an extension I couldn't go without. I have Opera on my computer, for emergencies, and when I feel like shaking things up, but my primary browser is still Firefox. Gotta admit, though, Opera looks very slick.

Opera is good, and admittedly it is the fastest, but I still love Firefox. The extensions, the themes, I like the Firefox ones better. When I want widgets, I have Windows Sidebar there anyway, and FireFTP is an extension I couldn't go without. I have Opera on my computer, for emergencies, and when I feel like shaking things up, but my primary browser is still Firefox. Gotta admit, though, Opera looks very slick.

were the same.. yes opera is fast but i admit that firefox is more than opera maybe someday they will make opera a happy browser i hope they will customize it more

Opera RocksIntroducing Opera! The Fastest Web Browser On Earth!I use Opera 9.27 for speeder access (90%), Opera 10.B.3 for stability and Facebook (5%), Mozilla firefox 3.01 (4% but now replaced by Opera 10.B.3), IE (1%) as a dead end :).-reply by introzip