xisto Community
fdpvip

Google Bigger Than Microsoft?

Google  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well I think Google might be bigger than Microsoft in the long run. They started as a search engine and now are competing with programs to become better than them. Of course no one would be here today without Microsoft. Not literally, but there would be no Windows XP or Microsoft Word and all these programs. I'm sure that ya someone would have created it anyway and then Google would be competing with them but you have to remember that Google wouldn't be here without them. I think that Google will probably most likely make more money than Microsoft because they are so popular and are enhancing our lives everyday but I think Microsoft probably will have more accomplishments but that might change.

Google is provides only search engine and marketing type and microsoft's only one product WINDOWS can handle all these things,but might be google have big industry ,both google and microsoft cant compete because both industries or firms are of different type,this question looks fishy fishy to me!!

I've noticed a lot of people on here talking about google as if it was the greatest thing in the world. After a while I began to get anoyed. I realize that they've made a deal with firefox or something, but still. Actually, I find it anoying that the default homepage for firefox is a google page. The first thing I did was change my settings for that. It's also anoying that the defult search is set to google in both the search box and the url bar. I don't blame firefox for doing it because I can see why and all. It just anoys me how everyone seems so obsessed with google these days. Sure they have some cool stuff, but I don't like having my email, searches, and everything else on google, logged.basicly every pc uses microsoft , and some people like using search engines like yahoo more than google.so microsoft is more popular in my opinion

you can't really compare the two companies because they arn't really going in the same direction. I have to admit that google is a good free software program company, but they are still too early to be any real threats to mircosoft. Besides, google is actually trying to compete with other major internet sites such as yahoo, ebay, etc.So far, the fight between google and microsoft are:MSN vs Google TalkMSN search engine vs Google search engineHotmail/MSN vs GmailFuture:Google online spreedsheet vs Microsoft ExcelAll of these isn't the big buck maker for microsoft. As you all know, microsoft got rich because of the Windows Operating System. Unless google decided to make an operating system from scrap and give it out for free, then yes, they will be bigger than microsoft. But creating an operating system from scrap cost billions of dollars.

I don't think google will be bigger than microsoft. MS has been doing eerythign else for way too long. If bill gates woke up with hiw bank account at the same level as google's yearly profit, he'd jump off a building. he wouldn't even be able to fill up his fleet of jets...<_<

I don't think so, google does spend a lot of what they gain, but Microsoft has a huge ammount of staff, technology, buildings etcera, and they need to be payed for as well of course. Bill Gates earns a nice sallary, but not as high as the total income of a company like google does.

Unless google decided to make an operating system from scrap and give it out for free, then yes, they will be bigger than microsoft. But creating an operating system from scrap cost billions of dollars.

does it now? I guess you have experience with writing operating systems then? Think about it, mate, the first version of Linux was written when Thorvalds was at university, and though it was not all that great at the time, it has become pretty dam awesome. And I don't think it has cost billions of dollars, either.

Then again, Google would probably not release it open source, cause of course M$ would copy it...

I think that Google would have to expand their market if they want to surpass Microsoft. If they come out with an easy OS, then they are defidently going to be competing with Microsoft.

programs running from the net means we will mostly have high speed internet. I rather have my own programs on the computer hehe. The internet woud praobby be slow wtih application sharing.

Google may not be bigger than Microsoft for now as their foci are also different. But Google is such a company with visions which has potential to overtake any other mighty software giants. They are sharp one in many applications from Search, Adsense, Google Earth, Gmail* and host of other applications and who knows they will not venture into Operating Systems in the near future. They have got the reputation which comes from their good services. And with this trend the way ahead is very bright for Google.

As they presently seem to be keeping themselves wisely niched in different areas of IT, I don't see either outstripping the other. HOWEVER, Google has been buying up a whole lotta dark fiber (unused comm lines) and it would appear they have something VERY BIG in the works. If they do become bigger than Microsoft, it won't be in the PC area...but rather networking and services related to PCs.On the other side of the coin...if Google doesn't toss something wonderful out there in the next year or two...Microsoft may very well falter with their Vista product. It's already hella late to market and there's no screaming KUDOS coming out of Beta testing...I see potentially bad things on the horizon there. Additionally, I know of at least 2 major companies that just finished investing SO heavily in getting everything to be XP complaint, there's NO WAY they're going to begin Vista conversions until at least late 2007 if not well into 2008. Why would they given Microsoft's track record of release, discovery of billions of bugs, followed by re-release. I'm not upgrading until my present computer comes to a grinding, screeching halt...or until it becomes necessary to play Doom 9 or Quake 11. :lol:

Google is quickly working its way up the list of biggest companies. I think it could get bigger than Microsoft. In 2005, it was ranked number 904 on Forbes Global 2000 in 2005, and only one year later, it jumped to spot 439 in 2006. Microsoft, on the other hand, was in spot number 47 in 2005 and dropped to 55 in 2006. Not significant, but maybe overshadowing something to come?
On the other hand, people can't use google without a computer. And where are they going to get that computer? From Microsoft. And Microsoft also has a huge amount of programs under its belt. It's a tough call. :lol:

Stats provided by http://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?toURL=http://www.forbes.com/home_usa/&refURL=&referrer=

well, i love google and admire google, but to be frankly speaking, i don't think google can be bigger than microsoft in the 5 years, though they said google has became the first that they wanna go to work for IT works , and google culture is really wonderfull, what's more we hear that some important high leaders left microsoft one by one in the two years, BUT .... I still don't think it's so easy to beat down microsoft. for example , gmail is base on ajax technology, and microsoft release window live mail, and window live services quanity is became more and more than google services.

anyway abrove is only my personal opinion. ....

google could definately go ahead of microsoft,only if launches its own o.s. and i really don't know why theay aren't they could really ,ake it big but yet microsoft is so widespread that it would be really difficult to get microsoft down even linux is not able to do it but i think google can really do it

Agreed On that in order for Google to really surpass Microsoft is go into the software business. If they were smart they purchase the rights toOpen Office update it's look and programming and keep that free. Build 2 OS one in linux and one that could directly compete with Windows.Of course for google to directly compete with Microsoft they will have to put price tags on all the free software they have made over the years. Of course google will have to make a gaming department and start making pc games and video games as well.Thats what they would have to do in order to beat Microsoft, however since microsoft has about a 30 year lead on google I don't see that happening any time soon.