xisto Community
fdpvip

Google Bigger Than Microsoft?

Google  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is absolutely no way Google can become bigger than Microsoft for one main reason. There is no Google OS completely written by them. They just offer services on the internet and a couple for the actual desktop. Google can and probably will become a very large company but not to the same scale or even the exact same market as microsoft. Finally, another difference is there is no google hardware (minus search engine servers) unlike Microsoft which produce the XBOX console series, zune, wireless adapters, mice, etc.

I don't think Google will get to Microsoft's size any time soon, Microsoft is HUGE, and it also has 30(?) years experience. It also has a solid user base, meaning that it is very hard for people to change to using something else (All those games). However, with Google it is very easy to switch to using something else, as it is just a few clicks.Google also hasn't had a huge amount of success with some of its other projects, like Froogle etc.Some people have been suggesting that Google write there own operating system. At present, I don't think Google could win in the OS war against Microsoft, unless they used Linux as a base, or their OS could run Windows Programs.At present Google looks like it is going in other directions.

Might take some time but imho Google has more potentials than MS and moving at a faster speed. MS missed the Internet and also Web 2.0. "The net is the computer" - as soon as this becomes reality, products like MS Office and MS Windows are likely to decrease in importance.

Man definitely Microsoft is very very bigger than GoogleYou are comparing a Big Gaint with a young Kid.But it might seem that Google is more popular and more bigger than Microsoft because we can see everybody talking about it, and more over internet has become an integral part of our life and Google became more dominant. But Microsoft is present in the entire relam of the Computer world.

But Microsoft is present in the entire relam of the Computer world.

Untrue. I don't use anything from MS on a daily basis. The only reason that MS software is prominent in your life is because you want it there.

Lets not get philosophical with this. I think the quote is referring to how big of a hand MS has in the computer industry. Most people even former MS employee's base their programs off of MS hard/software in their own little ways.True they don't have their corporate logo imprinted on everything, laws forbid it, but MS influence is everwhere you see it.Yes it has been 31 years exactly since Microsoft has been in power (April 4, 1975) and making roughly $40-50 Billion a year while Google so far makes about 7 Billion a year. OS you see google has to do something in order to increase it's revenue substantially.

blaghM$ has a hand in a lot, and they are bigger than google at the moment, that's for sure, but I don't think it will last all that long. Hopefully people will begin to see that two glaring failures in their main field - referring to Windows Vista and XP, obviously - are not just bad luck. But I guess I'm a little too optimistic :/

Jeez, this is a really intresting question!But microsoft is probably still the biggest.Google is defnitly the biggest search engine out there adn i just love it. Got the google desktop as well. It really helps me find my files because sometimes things are quite a mess..

QUOTE(delivi @ Dec 28 2006, 10:58 PM) But Microsoft is present in the entire relam of the Computer world.

Untrue. I don't use anything from MS on a daily basis. The only reason that MS software is prominent in your life is because you want it there.

Hey dude you claim that you ont use MS products but the Non MS Products you use are mostly based on MS Products, you should keep that in Mind.

With more and more of the internet turning to open-source, I think linux distro's such as ubuntu will steal a lot of ground from microsoft. As long as linux can try and change it's image from a geeky operating system to a free alternative to windows that anyone can use ("linux for human beings"), they will be successful.Google on the otherhand is going to gain momentum. They are already trying to have a stake in every part of your computer. From how you buy things online, to your VoIP, to your office suite (online spreadsheets and such), to your picture organizer, etc. It won't be long until Google decides to branch out into most programs such as a web browser (hoping they merge with mozilla :lol:) or even an operating system.If they came this far in only a couple of years, I don't think they're stopping anytime soon.

Of course for google to directly compete with Microsoft they will have to put price tags on all the free software they have made over the years.

They don't neccessarily need price tags on their software to compete with MS. The concepts of free and libre software does not stop the licensor from making money with it.

While MS still gets its revenues from selling products (software) there are companies like IBM or SAP which by now make quite some revenues by selling services like consulting. Have a look at MySQL AB, the company sells an open source database system which anybody can download and use for free, even for commercial applications. Yet they make money by selling training for their products, support services and consulting. Not that any of these services make enough money to beat MS yet, but companies like google will profit from the growing demand to use software online, exactly when it is needed and paid only for the amount of usage.

Again, I believe online software products which you use right in the Internet, without the need to purchase in a box, will be the future. Next example is Google Earth and Google Maps. You download a small client or use it directly online, the valuable data always remaining with Google. Great software having almost no competitor. For this kind of software we will never be charged for. But imagine a Google Office, online, the basic version for free, the commercial version paid by use or by subscription. I predict the end of MS domination in this market very soon after. Is it just me not willing to pay 300+ /$ for a MS Office of which I only need half the programmes if I could instead use a Google Office that would charge me a small usage fee for what I exactly used instead?

I think that Google will eventually overtake Microsoft because Microsoft always seems to release a buggy, unfinished product, usually late, while Google releases a (to me) well created, Final release quality BETA version.Google has the technology to push Microsoft out of the way.I don't think Microsoft will ever really leave, especially since Google doesn't have an operating system or a full suite of office products (e.g. Presentation Software, Database System, etc.)Perhaps Google and Microsoft will either fuse or one will buy out another and we'll have the stability and innovation of Google with the powerhouse that is Microsoft in one huge company.Another possibility is that one of them will copy an idea from the other and make money off of it, and then the other company will sue, win, and become the dominant company, at least for a while.

google does actually have an operating system - Goobuntu - based on Ubuntu Linux :lol: Google rocks.

They are not currently planning to release it, though. Google does have office software, though it is mostly based online, and it beta, as far as I know. They have their own filesystem - GFS - for the servers. It is supposedly extrememly efficient. But they don't seem to be going in that direction. Makes you wonder where they ARE going...