xisto Community
OpaQue

Super-fast Start And Shutdown Windows (within Seconds) hibernate instead of shut down

I just wanted to share this tip for all those guyz who hate to wait for windows to boot up and load into memory.. And not only that, after booting, it starts loading all the startup programs into memory.

If you are also fed up doing this, You can use the HIBERNATE option. :-)

All you have to do is, configure your PC to use HIBERNATE instead of SHUTDOWN.

About Hibernation,

Hibernation is a state in which your computer shuts down to save power but first saves everything in memory on your hard disk. When you restart the computer, your desktop is restored exactly as you left it. Use hibernation to save power when you will be away from the computer for an extended time while working.

1. Open Power Options, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Power Options.

2. Click the Hibernate tab, and then select the Enable hibernate support check box.

3. If the Hibernate tab is not available, your computer does not support this feature.

4. In ADVANCED tab, you should see an option called, When I press the power button on my computer. In that dropdown box, Select HIBERNATE.

5. Click OK to close the Power Options dialog box.

Now, when your press the POWER Button on your computer, It should hibernate :-)

Starting your computer will be faster than ever and and you will never have to see those loading programs again.

For people who use their PCs for Gaming, I will not recommend Hibernate as it can leave unnecessary liabrary files and junk in your memory and might affect the speed of your PC in time. For those people, it is better you Go to START=>RUN=>type msconfig and remove all unneccessary items from startup.

To put your computer into hibernation, you must have a computer whose components and BIOS support this option.

Using Power Options in Control Panel, you can adjust any power management option that your computer's unique hardware configuration supports. Because these options may vary widely from computer to computer, the options described may differ from what you see. Power Options automatically detects what is available on your computer and shows you only the options that you can control.

excelent! lol i knew of the msconfig way of doing it..but the hybernation i did know of, but i did not ever think of doing just because at the end of the day i have too much junk in my computer to keep it on. meaning if it does not clear ill be running slow for the rest of the time till i do restart it >_< but for other people out there who do not download as much as i do and get their temp folder full and make their computer run slow lol i think this willl be good for them!

I've known of hybernation feature but rarely use it. Firstly I don't even shut off my computer. Secondly I hear hybernation hurts the computer, using hybernation over a long period of time shortens the lifespan of your computer.Then again my statement regarding not using hybernation to protect lifespan can be voided as I'm sure leaving computer on isn't too healthy either......or maybe I'm just stupid altogether.

Edited by elevenmil (see edit history)

I've known of hybernation feature but rarely use it. Firstly I don't even shut off my computer. Secondly I hear hybernation hurts the computer, using hybernation over a long period of time shortens the lifespan of your computer....

I don't understand in what way does it actually decrease the life span of your computer. Software and hardware are both two diffrent worlds.. Hybernation just stores your memory contents and restores it. If It harmed your computer, before we could discuss it on this forum, it would had been a major issue and also a could had made a headline in computer magazine ;-)

It is safe.. there is no harm. It *might* just bring down the performance (I doubt) by 0.001%. I've been doing this since last 2 years. No issues experienced.

Well I might just have to try that sometimes. Makes sense to put it into hibernate so it saves the memory. Whenever my battery dies on the laptop and it goes into hibernate everything comes up the way it was. That's pretty cool, so now when I go to school and I have something started at home I can just put it in hibernate and off I go. Thanks for clearing that up though cause I was sort of wondering the same thing (whether it hurts the computer or not)

You know I might just give that a try, I also knew about this but for some reason I just don't do it, its not through fear of 'hurting' the computer I simply never took advantage of this feature the msconfig thing though is a must it can have a massive effect on start times (although I'm sure you all believed OpaQue anyway, or knew about this already) any way thanks I'm off to set the hibernate thing. I don't get this hurting the computer thing, I mean is it not kind of like saying switching the computer on hurts it, anyway it doesn't matter after all 2 years is pretty convincing.

I use hibernation all the time ... it really makes pc turn on in few seconds ... I firs started using it beacuse I have a weak pc so getting in the win xp takes like 2minutes ... one I tried it and was shoocked how fast it is and the best part when I wake in the morning I just turn on the pc and the music is playing the way I left it las night ... I saw somebody said that hibernation decrease the life span of your computer ? Dont get how ?

Very useful. I am getting fed up with my system taking time to load all the programmes and the same goes with shutting down. As I installed my programmes the speed of both the cases slow-down further. I know something like this is there but didn't really know how to apply them. The guide is excellent. Bookmarked this page for reference whenever needed. Thanks.

I usually shutdown my system by hibernation. I am doing it for the past 1 and half years so far I've no bad experiences. But it really speeds up loading and shutdown within seconds.

I used to use hibernation when I would walk away from my computer for extended periods of time (several hours), but for some strange reason, Windows won't boot into a hibernated session anymore. I like hibernation - it's fast and gets me going again faster. As far as it being bad for your system - what on earth are you talking about? Instead of just dumping everything in memory after shutting down, it saves it to the disk, and reloads it later on the next bootup. I can't imagine why it would be bad for your hardware.

Hybernation is a great way to spped up boot and shutdown but the flaw is your computer NEEDS to shutdown! Only with shutdown can it clear all of its catche (slows your computer) Close a failed program that wont close even if it isnt on the screen anymore (slows your computer, damages windows) And most of all your computer can not clock cycle (used by your proccessor (no effect on speed, damages windows, damages proccesor and fan on your computer with a chance of damaging your compleate motherboard)Hybernation is great in small doses but unless you want to pay $600 for repairs on your computer stick with shutdown at least once every two days.

One thing to say, listen to the no-sayers.I found hibernation, thinking that windows would have sorted tiself out sicne 98 SE (the gold old days :lol:) but it hasnt. I used it a few times when switchnig from my mums hosue to my dads and got back one day pressed the power button to get thnigs back and the display was wrecked...then my laptop died completely. Personally i would use standby if its for an hour or two but if its overnight just shut it down go to bed and let it finish itself off then in the morning turn it on as you get up!I remember this was a problem in 98 and probably before but how can they not have fixed it! or atleast warn people! Just be careful! My laptop was out for over a month!