xisto Community
OpaQue

Super-fast Start And Shutdown Windows (within Seconds) hibernate instead of shut down

i prefer just to turn my pc off. otherwise its left on constantly. i remember one time i didnt turn it off for about 4 months straight. i ended up with 3 dead fans lol. i'm never doin taht again... but yeh. turning off saves more power and i dont mind the wait when my pc is loading up. its pretty fast anyway.

Hibernation actually turns your pc off. Unlike stand-by the data is not kept in the RAM but rather written to the harddrive and reloaded upon reboot.

Even with Hibernation you still need to do regular reboots since otherwise your system will seriously clutter up and slow down over time, this might not be evident at first but if you go for a month without restart and then reboot you'll notice the difference.

Personally I don't use hibernation since I usually keep my pc running for a few days at a time and when I turn it off it is time to do a complete reboot anyways. I removed all unnecessary clutter from the startup, optimized my services (start->run->services.msc) and my computer, from pressing the power button to the complete boot with everything loaded, takes less than 13 seconds. A good tool to help you optimize bootimes is BootWiz from MS, they offered it for a while on their homepage but removed it for unknown reasons, but everybody can find it with a bit of searching. Just google it.

Besides unnecessary programs cluttering your startup another major (though often overlooked) factor is drivers. Having the right, up-to-date drivers is crucial to optimizing boot times and one should also remove all unnecessary drivers from the system. Have a look at your Device Manager to make sure there are no conflicts. Also make sure your network cards are configured correctly so that they don't get stuck looking for an IP they won't receive. A good place for all kinds of tips on optimizing your system is https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx. They have quality tips and tricks and really know what they are talking about.

I always use the hibernate option it takes hard disk space as much as you have ram space. So let's say I have a 2gb of ram so to hibernate I need a minimum of 2Gb of disk space. But does this operation has any negative effects on my PC?

I just lock the computer when not in use... but I also use the computer On\Off all day long. and I used to use hibernation, but to be honest I dont like it.... Personal interest I guess every one has an opinion

I use Hibernation all the time. I rarely shut down my computer. Sometimes I leave it on for Folding @ Home distributed computing software.I can use Standby, Hibernation, Turn Off. I sometimes restart the system before putting it into Hibernation (dont know why, don't comment on).Yeah, this is a great tip for other users who don't know about this.

I've known of hybernation feature but rarely use it. Firstly I don't even shut off my computer. Secondly I hear hybernation hurts the computer, using hybernation over a long period of time shortens the lifespan of your computer.
Then again my statement regarding not using hybernation to protect lifespan can be voided as I'm sure leaving computer on isn't too healthy either...

...or maybe I'm just stupid altogether.

HOLY COW!!!! i never knew that. I'd better stop hibernating... :) Don't want my system hurted...

Switching to other user

Super-fast Start And Shutdown Windows (within Seconds)

Hello! experimenting after reading " speeding up computer with few tweaks" cause me problem. I don't know if I done it incorrectly. After reboot, I noticed that switching to other user's account won't work properly... You have to log off first before doing so. I did checked the "use fast users switching option" on the select log on/log off option but that won't work.Can you please help me resolve this problem. Thanks a lot.

Jrnickm

-NickM

When a computer hibernates, it writes everything in RAM to the hardDrive, thus using the hard drive more.  The more that the hard drive isUsed, the less life it will have.  Thus hurting the computer.

I have used hibernate on my Toshiba laptop with firefox/vista.Recently, however, it takes forever and a day for it to complete the hibernation and for it to come out of hibernation.Any suggestions as to why this is?Timewise now it is NOT any faster than a S/D and S/UThanks in advance for your timely response!