xisto Community
illdevilinc

My Site review please

Ok my site is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ need help with figuring out what to do next. Ive already organized the site and everything and im losing track of what to do next. I also need some traffic and dont know where to get it. But yea if you have any suggestions just repost them here or PM me.

well i do have allot of things to say about the site, but too long to post here... but i like the colors an all (black is my favorite color) and all but the tables you have there, they are not aligned in lines they are just scrambled everywhere, and personally i think that makes it look a bit un-professional and the boarder around allof of the tables blocks some of the text making it halfway readable.. the login box is a bit too weird of a place to put it, and i just think it could do with allot more pictures, the TOS is generally at the bottom...now just personally i think the layout is a bit crazy....but i like the content you will have on it when you finish the site.

It looks ok. It looks like too much in one page though. The site news looks out of place in the corner I would put it where the video of the day is and change the background color to help match. I am looking at it through firefox so maybe it looks different but I would make it look the same in all browsers. I would make it so if you would like to play the video of the day play it but if not don't have it start automatically because it takes too long to load and turns visitors with slow internet away. Everything looks like a big blob.

Well i dont know why but i have noticed this too the site will not work with firefox. I think its the browser not the site because the site in internet explorer looks fine in my window. Well to see what the site really looks like use internet explorer 6 for the site. Or give me some suggestions on how to improve the site to make it work with the newer browsers that dont rely on internet explorer (Firefox and some others).

Your website looks impressive when it comes to what you offer to the website visitors. However, people are not going to find this site address easily since it is a sub-domain of Xisto and it will take time for them to find at metal or hard music in search engines. However, if your website is more search engine friendly, meaning the content and the pages should be optimized more so that search engines once they crawled will easily display them in the search results. To do that I think you should use so many frames within the page. Especially the homepage itself I found frames after frames which I think it not very good for search engines and robots. Also, try to browse your site in firefox and see what you are seeing is not according to your original plan and look. I don't think your website visitors will be pleased with the layout present to them if they look and visit your site from firefox browser. I too am using firefox and am not impressed at all. I hope you are making small changes to impact big and effective. With regards.

I had pup-under (a full enlarged page) of FriendCircles when I entered your site. I personally dislike all pop-ups and pop-unders. It degrades the true content of the webpage--whether professional or not. I'm assuming it's probably from ads placed in your site. Besides the layout and how it should be looking, I'm surprised how fast your center media loaded--and with pretty good resolution as well. I'd say that's successful enough to impress old fart like me on the first page :huh:

Well i dont know why but i have noticed this too the site will not work with firefox. I think its the browser not the site because the site in internet explorer looks fine in my window.

It's hardly ever the browser and in this case it's certainly not, it's the designer's fault - no doctype, nested tables, made with MS Frontpage..... :huh: Internet Explorer doesn't follow the specs correctly so those people who design specifically for it can expect their pages to look messed up in more modern browsers.

Well Netscape Navigator on an iMac doesn't like the page either. A bunch of things overlapping and text running below the divs (or table cells). But yes, it sure loaded quickly, I'll give you that credit. If you tour over to the Html Forum, there are some bits of information about IE and how it mis-behaves. Tyssen gave you the short version. You might want to read up a bit on the differences and apply some fixes. It isn't too hard to nail most of the problems.

Ok well i did make the site in Microsoft Frontpage. I looked into the layout and the site is optimised for Internet explorer 5/6 and netscape navigator 4/5 in windows format. Firefox just does not like my site and neather does other does other browsers. Im not sure what is going on but ive also noticed something odd in firefox. These forums that are used on Xisto.com arent supported fully by firefox. If you want proof then try to click the hyperlink insert butten in reply mode. If it works for you then my computer is retarted. But anyways i have a comment for microsoft programs and systems: they are useful but retarted when on non microsoft products. Thats a warning for frontpage useres that use layers instead of nailed down tables. Thats another thing that probably went wrong with my site i used layers to move them where i wanted them to go but i will try to be redesigning my site to get the more proffesional look for more browsers.Microsoft sucksthanks,

Ok well i did make the site in Microsoft Frontpage.

Yes, well there is your first problem. Frontpage is very good as messing up code. I think you'll also find it very difficult to try and modify this site to work with all browsers, if you use the Frontpage generated code as a starting base, due to the amount of unnecessary code it puts in your pages. If you must use a WYSIWYG editor, I suggest you switch to Dreamweaver. From what I have seen it adds the least amount of unnecessary code.

Microsoft sucks

Enough said! Even in IE6 I found your tables to be out of alignment, not as bad as in Firefox, but they were still out. As for your center media item, with a dial-up connection it takes too long to load. I waited for about 30 seconds and it only reached about 3% loaded, I wasn't going to wait for the whole thing. In general I think your site looks a little bland, perhaps increasing the size of your logo and adding a few other graphics might help.

I would change the font (that Times looks weak in a black background). I wouldn?t make use of underlining and you have some duplicated things... if you have a box of "Site News" you don?t need a cell of "New Features". And you should rewrite the table structure in html or at least with Dreamweaver, because it?s confusing and it doesn?t adjust well.I think I?ll like the content of your site. :huh:

I do agree that frontpage is a messed up editor but i have fixed the problem with the allignment and overlapping text allthough i have only tested it in internet explorer 7 and firefox 1.5 i beleave that if firefox can read it then other browsers should be able to also. If not, then just post what browser cant here and i will attemp to fix it. And to all those people that use frontpage: dont use to many layers as it will not align correctly and cause your site to look like crap just put some of the content in a same frame and seporate it with lines. That's what i did and the site looks ok now at least to me but yea im not the one that is going to be looking at my site the most so any more opinions about my site go ahead i will read them and try to fix them. And i am trying to put some animation in the site if anyone wishes to have any ideas or help about that.Thanks

If you want proof then try to click the hyperlink insert butten in reply mode. If it works for you then my computer is retarted.

Works for me. Your computer is retarded. :huh:

tested in IE6, FF, and latest Opera. all ok, no major problems, jsut overlay quibbles . . .layout is quite cluttered with border lines being overlapped by text.borderes overlapping each other.Styling is quite poor, as its all white with grey backgrounds and the text is all times new roman :huh: Graphics could avstly improve the site, a more noticeable and prominant logo for example, and background abrs for the titles, and possibly an differernt website background, with the site centered.The site being centered would be quite koo too i think.naviagtion is boring but functional so thats ok,quite alot of features planned which is good to know, just work on building up a content database.-Couple questions tho, do you already have a large amount of people wanting to join?a forum might be a good ideaGenerlly quite a horrible design/layout which is sadly going to scare away people who are not your friends ;)BUT, if that was improved i could work, as you have good plans for the site and targeted those plans at your target audience.as it stands. . . i give it a 3/10 but this is due to the lack of visual appeal and the site being cluttered, and it alcking alot of content.keep at it though. . . maybe using a CMS would be adviseable, i would not go for PHP nuke like has been advised, instead go for "Joomla!". . there is an autoinstaller in the fantastico program in your Xisto control panel.good luck