xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CrazyRob

Terrabyte Hard Disc

Lol, Imagine that. It would probably take a year or so to defragment a hard drive like that. LOL.I would definetely like to have one, but then I would have to have a faster processor. I bet that about the time those hard drives are commercial enough to be bought at a good price there will be a fast processor counterpart. Probably in an other year or so. I think it would really help because I ate up my 80 gb in about half a year recording music, so I bought an external one.

Not so much... I wish I had :) I have one of 200 GB but partitioned in four. I don?t think it?s a problem to fill one terabyte... just without burning cds or dvds for a while, everybody can do it :P

Remember when hard drives were measured in megabytes? Wasn't that only a few years ago? What would you have said if someone had come to you and told you that storage space would be multiplied by over a million times in less than ten years?

Remember when hard drives were measured in megabytes? Wasn't that only a few years ago? What would you have said if someone had come to you and told you that storage space would be multiplied by over a million times in less than ten years?

220071[/snapback]

I'll try to put things in perspective here for all you youngsters.

In 1988, I worked for a Company that was running a remote computing system off of a PDP11, tape based machine. Then we got a "new" computer system. (A couple of 386 machines).

Not connected to each other. We had to store info on disks and hand them to the other person for them to load into their machine.

The machine I had to work with had a whopping 10 Meg Hard Drive. And I think 64 K of RAM. We used an IBM-Dos operating system that came on a single floppy. ONE of them. Not the High capacity hard shell disks, a real floppy disk. Anybody remember them?

How much space does windows xp require to run these days? Of course, Windows XP lets you do a whole bunch more than the o/s's we were using. Any of the current Operating systems with the GUI's are better than the 'command line' os's.

Actually he does run his own hosting company. But he has I think 13 or 15 other servers for that. Yes, a terrabyte hard drive. Yes, Dell offers them on their computers. Which is good for people who are crazy gamers and stuff.I only have 4GB in my computer which is now crashed, but it gets used up fast. A Terrabyte allows you enough space to store tons of music. You would by able to store a lot of videos too. One thing is that you could also run your own radio station out of your computer and have enough space for the music. Remember there is a topic on running your own station :ph34r: . Yeah, a TB would be good for a lot of things, and yes, to answer your question finally, I do not have a Terrabyte but have heard of it :blink:

I hadnt seen a terrabyte HDD before but I'm sure that governments and big companies of the world do have em. I've only saw a few pictures, but like one other person said, it's like a big box. Its interesting how 'bytes' is termed after a large figure, ie gigabyte, megabyte, and now terrabyte.I wouldnt be suprised if its many HDD's fused together or if it's 'networked' in one whole box, but then again I either dont have the time or too lazy to research and check the actual facts.I've only got 3 computers in the house, but if I add all up the hd's (this Laptop = 60gig + 20gig Pentium 3 + 80 gig Pentium IV) that pretty much adds to 160gig all up. It'll be a lot of space, but would be hard to full up if you intend on only using legit and legal stuff (if you know what I mean).

I've seen people who have a multiple hard drives totaling over a terabyte for a while now. It doesn't seem very practical to have that much storage space. Not even high end servers would use up that much. Also, this isn't very cheap right now to do and I'm not sure why a normal computer user would want to pay for space they would not use.

terrabyte hard drive

Terrabyte Hard Disc

They're getting pretty common now. I suspect what you saw with the box was a NAS (Network Accessible Storage). I run two of those for a total of 3 TBs. They're just multiple hard drives done in RAID configuration.

Hello guys,Actually, I believe one Terrabyte is 1024 Gigabytes if you want to be exact ^_^ (Everything is generally a power of 2)Also, you can buy a Terrabyte Harddrive, but they are generally very large, very loud, very hot, and very expensive :P Also, I believe they are usually sold as external HDDs because it'd be hard to fit them into a computer at this time.

I can't see more than 200-300GB of legal mateial needed. May more. Never seen a 1TB, but that's a lot of HD.. What do you need it for.. A lot of junk in the trunk *laughs* ya that wasn't funny.. lol well anyways. Give it a try if you need the space :)I use close to 70GB atm.. It's all pictures and videos, and stuff. Happy HD Buying :P

Edited by PCessna (see edit history)

One terrabite is 1000gb, but because of the way company's format them and make the space, because of 1kb being 1000 bytes (instead of 1024 bytes) and then 1mb being 1000kb (instead of 1024 kb) and 1gb being 1000mb (instead of 1024 mb) and then 1000gb being 1 tb, which is actually 1000gb! The only reason you loose them is because its easier once you start getting into gb and even mb its hard to count, anyway im running a 320gb hard drive and soon a 500gb western my book backup, but with 320 bg i get like 280gb of space :/ 1 tb would hold alot of shizzle are you sure you need that much because its alot of cash if you don't!

wow 1tb of storage space... personally I believe thats more than one needs. Yet, I guess someone might finded more than convenient. I ask my self how are they going to get that into a laptop? Yet what amazes me the most is that this will come with a problable advance in RAM memory space... that is more essential then the actuall storage space.

Yes, it would be interesting how they are going to get a terabyte into a laptop. But I'd imagine they would be very expensive at first, as it doesnt seem to be too far away (say a year, or two, or three) before terabyte HDDs come out for general usage, as more powerful programs, maybe even a Windows Vista Upgrade or even a different operating system altogether (probably another Microsoft creation *roll* would come out requiring even more powerful specs, considering there are computer processors and parts that are always continually being updating, being created and released.

One of my friends owns a Terrabyte hard disk. He uses it to store movies, games, high-res pictures etc. When you progress to GB, you'll start wanting more and more. It's not hard to fill up a Terrabyte of space. Though, like SolarX says, it's probably not legal stuff. Heh.