xisto Community
football123213

Which Is Faster Broadband, Dsl Or Cable

I got comcast it is a cable. It is way better then DSL in my opionon. You can speed across the web lol. What is cool about Comcast is that you can also find out the lastest news on there homepage so fast. It is like everyone works on the page togther.

I've never tried cable, so I would have to say DSL since that's what I have now. It is pretty fast also, except I have to restart sometimes because I share the connection with my brother. Well..he's paying for it, but you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

Cable seems to cost more than DSL. I do have a really quick question, though it seems kind of stupid. Aren't most cable lines fiber optic or am I in left field here? If so, I'd probably go for Cable in terms of quality if the company's respectable. Elsewise, my ticket and money would be on DSL to save a couple of dollars even if it would make me cheap. It's not as if though I download stuff a whole lot.

I use adsl, and I hate how slow it is, although my ISP doesn't give very many options, and I have to get it through the phone company because our phone company doesn't let any other ISP come through. It sucks.As for the guy that asked if cable was fiber optic, I'm fairly sure you are way out in left feild.

Edited by coreymanshack (see edit history)

I have had both, and what I can tell you is that ADSL > Cable. Big time!!, seriously, when I had cable the freaking internet disconnected from time to time, it was very hard to use it in the afternoons, and really got laggy from time to time. Now that I have Adsl, the company that provides this service to me (which just happens to be the biggest telecommunication companies here and latin America, which I have heard that is the provider for all the other services) has doubled the speed on everyones connection, and they never get laggy, and I have never had any troubles with the connection. It is more constant than cable. I would never ever go back to cable.

well, this question would have been acceptable if the one who posted it considered that other users don't have cable connection for internet... or even dsl. some only have dial-up, you know. how would people take sides? it's pretty much a useless argument if you didn't think of that possibility.with that said, i'm using dsl and don't know about cable since we don't have that service here as of the present date.

Dude, I NEED cable, ADSL here goes slow...Or maybe because I use my wireless network...Heh, who knows, anyways... In Soldat I get a ping of 200>^_^In Tribes 2, also I get a ping of 200 >So, yeah, something is wrong :lol:

Anybody here tried ADSL2+? Technically, it's called ITU G.992.3/4.

From wikipedia:

ITU G.992.3/4 is an ITU (International Telecommunication Union) standard, also referred to as ADSL2. It extends the capability of basic ADSL in data rates. The data rates can, in the best situation, be as high as 12 Mbit/s downstream and 3.5 Mbit/s upstream depending on line quality. The distance from the DSLAM to the customer's equipment is usually the most significant factor in line quality.

I live in Australia and there are a handful of ISPs that offer it. These ISPs build their own DSLAM into the local phone exchange, because the government's DSLAMs only offer speeds of up to 1500kpbs.

My ISP, iinet (for those who live in Australia: https://www.iinet.net.au/home/), offers speeds of up to 24Mbit/s downstream, contrary to wikipedia, and 1Mbit/s upstream. Australians should try Internode if there are DSLAMs from the company in their local area. iinet has far more DSLAMs but its network is nowhere near as reliable and rock-solid as Internode's.

I believe most of the forum users here live in the US. I tried a Google Search for "adsl2" and it seems as though there are VERY few ISPs there that offer it.

I believe, nonetheless that Cable is probably better, as it achieves speeds closer to its advertised speed.
My connection downloads at about 6Mbit/s, only a quarter of its advertised speed. But I do believe that ADSL is more reliable generally, unless you, like me, end up with a dodgy line filter :lol:

Just been through this with my dad. I have cable at my condo, but it's a business account with 5MB/s both ways so I can run Xgrid through the internet and for business reasons. (There are days when I'm uploading 9GB of video and wish I had a faster connection).For him, the phone company offers a $20 a month 384k/384k DSL package. Which is plenty for him as the only thing he downloads now is OSX system updates and sometimes he is sent pictures or sends pictures he scans as he is scanning all the old photo albums into his new iMac. For general surfing, once you get above 256k, I've never noticed a lot of difference in terms of how fast a webpage pops up. If your doing a lot of podcast, video, and pirating of software (or other such stuff) that's the only reason to carry the faster service. I'm in video production and it is not uncommon for me to transfer several GB files to people half way around the world. Usually what slows that process down is their end. Of the six companies I do work for, only one has a connection where I actually get about 1MB/S transer rates. Most of the others are in the 100 - 200kbps range, most likely because of BW throttles on their end. As with anything, it depends on what your going to do with the connection.

Anybody here tried ADSL2+? Technically, it's called ITU G.992.3/4.

I have ADSL2+ for half a year now as it became cheaper. It is truly dependend on the line quality, meaning the distance to the next switch and the attenuation of the copper wire. My ISP offers a maximum of 16 Mbit/s downstream and 700 kpbs upstream. I have full upstream but downstream usually fluctuates somwhere between 12 and 14 Mbit/s. Right now I don't think there is a reason to change my ISP or the access technology. At least in Germany there seems to be no other solution that gives you that much speed for the buck.