xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Thunder

Oldest Website?

Does anyone know of the oldest website on the internet that is still up?  It would be kind of interesting to visit.

213941[/snapback]

it would probabaly be some milatery website afer all they did start the net

The oldest website.. o_o..Well when was the internet first created? ^^;. Meh it would probably have been shut down wouldn't it? o_o. I wonder how outdated it would look! XD. I wouldn't be surprised if it had at least one of those cheap CHEAP animations that are horribly cut out that people thought were cool back then XD.

I wouldn't be surprised if it had at least one of those cheap CHEAP animations that are horribly cut out that people thought were cool back then XD.

Keeping in mind that the Internet was first created for scientific purposes, I seriously doubt the first website would've had any cheap animations. :(

Ahhh, well that helps. Thanks, Tyssen! :(.Now it's time for me to make some ridiculous theory...Hmm..maybe they tried to clone people or something when the internet was first created...or maybe programming very old machines? It's wonderful to think of all the possibilities on what they might've tried to use the internet for, maybe chocolate! XD

Hi

This may be the answer. Or as good as it gets.

According to Aracnet.com the first web site was found at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, but alas that has now gone, but hurrah someone made an archive and it can now be found here http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. Exiting eh?

According to W3C a link on this site contains the least recently modified page (its here)[/url]http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I am so underwhelmed :rolleyes:

Apparantly Microsoft didn't register microsoft.com until 1991 six years after symbolics.com.
The first 100 domains can be found at jottings.com

Yes, I was just surfing the web bored and typed in on google the oldest website and it provided a link to this page so if no one on this page can tell me who can? however it must be a frequently asked question as to,354 people have typed into Google oldest website-lewis ross

Does anyone know of the oldest website on the internet that is still up? It would be kind of interesting to visit.

i graduated high school in 1986. the WWW wasn't even around then so the first website would be after that. the WWW was created AFTER i quit college in the 1990's so the first website will be in the early 1990's. now this is FACT so i don't care what history says. i was a big part of it back then in many ways. there is NO WAY the earliest website was in the 1980's!

the history i know is that originally, i had to direct dial in to a computer that was hooked up through a telephone line. only one user could access any one computer at any one time. then came multi line access. this was when computers cost $2000 just for a basic system where now they cost about $500. eventually telnet became available so you didn't have to dial another # to access another computer. also, every system you could access back then was it's own server.

the internet was just beginning to form a foundation back then to the new technology we have today including other means to access the internet including the WWW and the first website.

people like to confuse the internet with the WWW. the internet was created in the 70's i believe from san fransisco to los angeles(don't quote me). this had nothing to do with the government! also, the first website, if my own history serves me well was created in 1992-993 give or take 1-2 years...same time when the WWW was formed through LINKS.

now in my opinion, i am sure one of the first websites includes a bbs(bulletin board system) turned website. as far as the very first website? now it has me curious and i will research it and get back to this topic.

gotcha!

"The first Web site built was at CERN[4][5][6][7] and was first put online on 6 August 1991. It provided an explanation about what the World Wide Web was, how one could own a browser and how to set up a Web server. It was also the world's first Web directory"

found here....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee

the first website back then in 1992 could be found at Info.cern.ch
in which, the first webPAGE could be accessed at http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html

more information can still be found at the website http://info.cern.ch/

whew! was fun researching. brought back memories. i had to smile. DELPHI#1!!! hahaha one of the first internet service providors if not THE first. there was no such thing as aol OR compuserve back then

funny thing....i believe in the late 90's, i recieved a stock pick in my email stating to buy yahoo. i forget how much per share. something like $2. i don't even know how it arrived in my email. email wasn't even a standard back then. by "standard" i mean that to recieve an email, you would have to recieve it from someone accessing the same original server you had the email account on. god, i'm on a high right now after taking a trip down memory lane trying to research the first website haha unbelievable how things quickl change!

some other little personal history, i know about 10 people who hosted some of the first web pages in history. the annex was a huge bbs turned website in the early 1990's. owned by a friend of mine, greg, and his partner(name escapes me) who graduated from law school in the late 80's. set some original court precidense in the online industry. his office originated out of van nuys, california i believe. another biggie was dreamsys.com(mathew ryan - owner) which is now offline as of 1-2 years ago. it was a bbs turned single webpage that was dedicated to all his members. formally known as dreamscape(dreamscape.com was taken) and before that, "playhouse". btw, go to annex.com and you will be at one of the original publically accessed websites that is still around today. they deal with webservers and hosting packages and developing their own software now, but when they first began, they were a chat board with some games and stuff. one of the biggest bbs's in the WORLD. i forgot about them! i can probably get some free webhosting haha! i think they have an "about" section where you can read their history.

does anyone remember this crap besides me? even port royal.....one of the biggest internet sites in the world based in the san fernando valley in california. bigger that the annex at one time but i don't believe they ever caught a WWW presense. i could be wrong. but i listed two of the first publically accessed websites in history. the annex still around and huge as ever. good ol' days. brings back lots of memories this topic does! :rolleyes:;):D
Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

The internet may have only been created in the 90's but there were usenet and many other before the internet so a form of the internet was about in the 70's google still has usenet pages go look them up its basically news feeds from pure text-dado

I'm thinking the first website probably had a dark background with white writing on it! :P (can you cant tell I don't know much bout the history).I was just insterested I found a site that said 1983 in the title on it's tab. And this website was the first on the google searh list when I put "oldest website ever" in!So well done for becoming the first on the list! just keep typing "oldest website" in and you'll stay number one! :DPolo! x-reply by polo*

oldest website

Oldest Website?

Replying to Captain_Thunder

Well th-e oldest registered domain is symbolics.Com (15-Mar-1985) but the company profile has changed, thus the website isn't the same as it was back then so I don't know if it counts for the oldest website. BBN.COM on the other hand, is the second oldest registered domain (24-Apr1985) without having the company profile changed. So I guess that http://www.raytheon.com/ourcompany/bbn/ is one of the oldest websites around ;)

-reply by Matei