xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Thunder

Oldest Website?

There is this site called http://archive.org/web/web.php which has an archive of all web pages of websites dating back to past two decades.

You could use this as an Intenet time travel !!! It has a collection of all web pages put up way back in time, tat it is also known as the way-back machine.

I had a look at some of the sites like google and yahoo. Believe me, it is real fun watching how these web pages evolve with time.

How about Berkshire Hathaway?

Oldest Website?

Berkshire Hathaway's homepage dates to 1978, even before the World-Wide Web came into existence. It started on TELNET.

There are millions of small or big sites up in the net. It makes us wonder which one is the oldest site of all. The oldest registered domain is ?Symbolics.com? This was registered on March 1985. Other big companies such as microsoft registered their domain on 1987. Other companies did not jump into web before the early 1990s. If you visit Symbolics.com you will not find anything interesting. Looking back using archive.org, I could not find anything interesting in the past either. Nevertheless, try looking at their ranking. Alexa ranking is 308,381 and PR is 5. Therefore, it is true that as your site becomes older you start getting hits automatically.

Mosaic is the oldest, but remember the old times when Netscape was on talk and you had to bought a license in order to use it. But when Microsoft released their third or four for free, the other had to follow the lead, but i guess opera was the last one of the web browser to become completly free of charge, correct me if I am wrong. But back to the topic, I was brainstorming about the oldest website i could remember, and Iconbazaar popped up in my head. I couldn't find any information about how old that site is but i recon almost 10-12 years at least.

IE Free?

Oldest Website?

I think you've got this back to front friend. Netscape was free and IE cost. That's why there was a "browser war" and Netscape nearly won it.

In the end most of the others had to give them away for free. Microsoft joined in and were better able to absorb the cost. In those days the funding of the internet was uncertain and most of the developers probably assumed that they'd make money from advertising.

Mark

-reply by Mark

I believe that there were browsers before Internet Explorer; they might have been text only though. I'll poke around on the government websites and see what I can find...

Netscape Navigator came about 4 years earlier as first Browser with a graphical interface

Does anyone know of the oldest website on the internet that is still up? It would be kind of interesting to visit.

symbolics.com is the oldest website in the world. made in 1985