xisto Community
moogie

Shieldsup! Internet Vulnerability Test free test to see how vulnerable you are

Gibson Research Company (GRC) has a number of free tests available and their ShieldsUp! is one of the best I've seen around.

Without your knowledge or explicit permission, the Windows networking technology which connects your computer to the Internet may be offering some or all of your computer's data to the entire world at this very moment!

Using this online utility, you can check on your Windows file sharing, probe common ports and service ports, see what Windows Messenger is doing in the background, check up on Internet Explorer and much more.

Click here to go to their page and scroll down for the ShieldsUp!

On this page you'll also find many other interesting and free to use utilities.

This tool is very quick and easy to use. So far I have been told that my computer is special as it cannot be seen at all! All of my common ports are in 'stealth' mode and my PC is entirely secure :)I would advise everyone to try it. Its entirely harmless, very quick and simple and provides some useful information.

not bad good find moogie, my computer is secured and in stealth mode from any incoming attacks and what not.

I love these types of site, very useful. And I am pleased to say...

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating.

Gotta be happy with that! :)

I'm hidden behind my wireless router, so as I expected, everything is secure. The tests ran pretty fast, and gave cleanly formatted results.

wow thats good to know lol...I am completely shut off from the outside!!! thanks dad hehe...but i could be hosting a internet server but no one can find out heheh thats funny...

I ran that like two months ago, and am happy to report that I'm all good. But you want a shock turn off your firewall, if it's an option, and then run the test. All my ports were closed except one, but you know as it says stelth is better.

Very nice and helpful resource. I found that my computer is also

So far I have been told that my computer is special as it cannot be seen at all! All of my common ports are in 'stealth' mode and my PC is entirely secure

I might have to use this every so often. I took the first 3 tests and passed each of them. Hopefully it will stay that way. :lol: I thought it would find something but I guess not.

Good find on the Security checking link. I have seen similar programs elsewhere. Do you know if this test confirms correctly on a Mac? I am thinking it would, but can someone please confirm them for me. Thanks for the tip and have a good day, moogie.

ahh.. i don't know.. those kind of sites are not very reliable to me.. they suck.. and second.. who knows what their little probes are programmed to do in your computer. They could be stealing information from your computer and send it back to the creater.. Even though they said no information are gained .. .but i just don't have alot of trust for people over the internet =PBut for some reason... my curiousity won and i actully did it. .It said i have a stealth connection..

Hi jlhaslip.

I found a security self test for Mac computers. It's a download put out by Stanford University. You might want to check this out and see if your Mac meets the system requirements.

Click here to go to the Stanford University page.

Thanks Moogie, that link worked well. It doesn't give the detailed report like the Gibson Software, but it seems to confirm that my security is alright on the mac. Thanks for finding that one. Keep up the good work.

I dont know if I found out about this here but I found out about this just recently a month or so ago after I installed Outpost Firewall. Any way I have to say that this a very usefull and all around well presented service that also has a real use. Any way I finally got a Tru Stealth rating yey for me. I just did it at my friends house hes using Norton Internet security he failed, his computer replied to the ICMP Echo request all the ports were stealth though.