xisto Community
Jeremie

I Hate The Bastardizing Of The English Language! Chat Slang

I have a friend who likes to say (out loud, in person)

OMG OMG LOL!! Exclamation mark one one one one one!

Arghhhhhhh! It really bothers me when people say stuff like that.... in real life conversations! We should have a life that is more than just worthless meaningless internet chat. I mean, at that point it's just sad! Now my friend is highly intelligent. He will probably get a PHD eventually. But his adoption of chat slang severely decreases his appeal to other people.

I hope he's able to find a job after he graduates. 'Cause if he can't... he'll be saying OMG OMG LOL I am a bum!!!11111111!

:)

I think newer versions of keyboards should include the make the symbol "!" independent of other buttons. So that things like this will never happen again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111The kids do not know where to use the appropriate language. That's why they'll use "u" instead of "you" in essays. Get used to it. That is some new reform on languages. If you hate those "brb" words, then Shakesphere is your biggest enemy.

ok. m sure ull h8 me wid diz. diz is hw we use English wen using sms. f u thnk brb & lol r lyk 2pid words, think agen. we hav plenty of dose abbvrtions hir n d Philippines. bt @least most Filipinos cud still ryt corectly w/English.

Hello BoyCradle nice to meet you.I just wanna ask if there is any relationships between the language in the Philipines? What I know is that they speak in a language that comes from English but they have no written representation of their words.Is that true?Just still don't think that it is a problem to use the shorten words. We do it because the people in the middle age have too complicated words. So um....Does abbreviations such as "doesn't", "it's" or "dist'n" considered as bastard'n of words by the way? I used to have them in my study notes.

aftermatha, i would like to answer that in the meantime :) i also come from the philippines, and we have literally dozens of languages here. our national language is Filipino (a much wider and richer blend of overwhelmingly Tagalog and other regional/international languages and dialects :D). Filipino is not derived from English at all but we adapt some english words (just like other languages which borrow from other languages).

trivia: english also adapted tagalog/filipino words, one of which is "boondocks"
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/boondocks/

as for written representation, we have what we call "Alibata", an ancient form of writing in filipino, which has been mostly relegated to the history books. modern times dictate we follow the A-B-Cs to communicate better in a global arena, so here we are writing in A-B-Cs. :D

more on alibata:
http://fatoprofugus.net/alibata/
here is an alibata transliterator to get an idea of how alibata looks in writing:
http://fatoprofugus.net/alibata/alibata.cgi

boycradle, just add some more. :D

on doesn't, it's: these are word contractions, and are generally acceptable. :D

Hello BoyCradle nice to meet you.

I just wanna ask if there is any relationships between the language in the Philipines? What I know is that they speak in a language that comes from English but they have no written representation of their words.

Is that true?

Just still don't think that it is a problem to use the shorten words. We do it because the people in the middle age have too complicated words. So um....

Does abbreviations such as "doesn't", "it's" or "dist'n" considered as bastard'n of words by the way? I used to have them in my study notes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who knows.Maybe 200 years from now everybody in the world fromMumbai to Michigan will probably speak the same.Same language.Sameslang.We'll probably all speak with New York accents. It may sound far fetched but I wouldn't rule it out completely.After all we do live in the Global village.

Since the dawn of the text message, people have been getting lazier and lazier. They started to use stupid "chat slang" that annoys the hell out of me. Some examples:

lol

brb

rite

nite

convo

im

weird ASCII characters

those damned smiley faces

etc etc etc etc.....

What is so wrong with a COMPLETE sentence? How much work is it? Oh no! I have to type 22 more keys! Please...

This issue didn't really piss me off untill I had to grade another student's essay only to find this crap in it. That's right, an essay that was to be turned in to the instructer.

How I agree with you 100%. It really upsets me seeing a lot of posts here, that so many use slag or just bad spelling. Like say the word "that" so many times I see it spelled Dat. I know when I was growing up if I used a slang word, I was stopped right then and there and told. No you the right word and Never use slang in this house again. There is however a time and place for such. But when you are chatting with someone. I agree. Use a COMPLETE SENTENCE!

ttfn :)

there is a time and a place for everything. when you are sending a text message on your phone or an instant message online I think its perfectly acceptable to shorten everything. when you are on a forum I would expect most words to be typed out correctly and in full. Maybe have a LOL at the end of a funny post or sentance. When writing an essay you should always use proper words.It is all linked to a dumbing down of society. If we travelled to the future, would we even understand people anymore? or would they be walking around going OMGROFLZORS!!!1111

You use it in text because its quicker and easier, espiecially on a phone. Not many people share your opinion. However, the fact it was in a Essay scares me, prehaps it was a foundation class, still "bastardizing" at least have the decency to spell a word you up word correctly "bastardising" it looks and sounds better :).

Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

I semi agree with you on this point, some of these abbreviations are getting out of hand. I still remember getting laughed at by a few friends when I first started using messenger and asked them what "lol" meant.Still, I can't say I'm not guilty of using these abbreviations from time to time. When you're typing on instant messenger and want speed, it is convenient and easy to just type these abbreviations (as long as the other person knows what you're talking about).When it comes to essays and assignments obviously I don't type like that.What really annoys me isn't the "lol" and "brb" so much, it's the slang that people use when the slang word isn't even actually shorter than the actual word. I know people who keep tying "lurve". I mean seriously "love" is a 4 letter word, why make it 5 letters.

Umm, as to why these words came about, have you ever tried to type out be right back on a cell phone when you literally have to go do something else quickly?In addition, what is wrong with using them? You are thinking of the English language too much as some sort of precious artifact rather than what is is, a way to communicate. Besides, did you forget where the English language came from? This is it! New words get added as they are needed! This is great, if you like the language so much you should be happy that you get to be a part of changing it!

I agree with the OP about the bastardization of the English language, but not to the extent that some people actually believe he/she went to.I actually make fun of people who use Internet slang and acronyms in real life. I even make fun of the acronyms for the heck of it, like spelling out "LOL" or "OMG" for comic relief. (You leave yourself open to ridicule if you actually use these in normal, regular conversation... not to mention academic applications.) I love how people say that they don't care about spelling or the use of acronyms during IMs and whatnot, but then I end up proofreading their paperwork because out of habit, they can't spell or utilize grammar in an actual, intelligible fashion. Forgive me if I'm on a high horse, but having these kinds of habits can be detrimental, and personally, I feel that we're actually falling back in this "evolution" of the English language.Yes, I understand texting. I hate doing that crap because it takes a few minutes to text what you could physically say in a few seconds, but it does have its advantages. But if I need to get ahold of you in a hurry, I'll call you. (I won't wait for a text message, nor will I spend the time to try to send you a text... because I'm THAT lazy. Go figure.)In IMs, it can actually go either way. If you really want to save time and energy to minimize keystrokes, I've seen results that don't fit the bill. For example, "OMG dats so kool!!!!!!!!!!" will equate to 24 keystrokes. "Oh my God, that's so cool!" will equate to the same, PLUS you don't pass yourself as being immature or lacking the discipline to actually type out the words. And then there are those instances where you actually use MORE keystrokes in putting out what you want to say, like "LOL!!!" instead of "Haha," as you can obviously see.Also, if you are actually texting "BRB" to someone, it's kind of redundant since texting is something that you do if you have the time to kill, and you can even safely assume that if you don't get a timely response, the other person is probably actually doing something instead of bastardizing the English language. :)