xisto Community
Jeremie

I Hate The Bastardizing Of The English Language! Chat Slang

Since the dawn of the text message, people have been getting lazier and lazier. They started to use stupid "chat slang" that annoys the hell out of me. Some examples:

lol

brb

rite

nite

convo

im

weird ASCII characters

those damned smiley faces

etc etc etc etc.....

What is so wrong with a COMPLETE sentence? How much work is it? Oh no! I have to type 22 more keys! Please...

This issue didn't really piss me off untill I had to grade another student's essay only to find this crap in it. That's right, an essay that was to be turned in to the instructer.

Ahhahhhah Funny lol :ph34r: yeah I hate all that too lol, oh hold on a sec brb :angry: no I really don't hate that, but I don't use it iether, just use from time to time, you know, there's afew that I don't even get, like lmao? what is that supposed to mean? ?:rolleyes:? well is getting kinda late nite! :angry: lol ohhh just recently I learned that lol means laugh out loud.... What a loser! :angry:

well, culture changes over time. and language too. every generation creates a new
set of words and phrases, though not formally acceptable during their time, but gains
acceptance over time and even ends up in a dictionary somewhere. griping about it
will just stress you more. just get in sync with the times.

btw (oh right, that's BY THE WAY :rolleyes:)

That's right, an essay that was to be turned in to the instructer.

instructor, perhaps?

yeah it is wierd how kids think theyre on the internet when writing a paper. but and this is where it goes sci-fi wierd. this is a true story. i was walking to the store cuz i live next to the store and i walk past these kids talking and one of them trips and the other guy is screaming at the top of his lungs "LOL LOL." back when i was a kid we said "ha ha" or "hee hee hee" but never "lol" what is wrong with todays generation? just my two cents again

I'll admit, I use 'lol' sometimes along with 'omg' on FFXI, but never when I'm being intellectual. I type in completed sentences, try to sometimes correct my mistakes. (500mhz piece of junk processor..)I'm not trying to get off subject, but today someone told me using periods makes your statements seem offensive. I had to glue my jaw back on, and patch the hole in my floor.

I don't see any problem with chat slang, but I definitely won't use it in academic stuff like essays, that's just dumb! The thing about instant messaging is that speed matters, so who wants to type out "be right back" when brb will just do... however, I don't get why people go with "u" instead of "you" or "luv" instead of "love" when it's just 1-2 letters apart--maybe it's also an asthetics thing as well. For me, I prefer standard if possible, but on the longer phrases, brb, msg, lol are implemented in im mentality so when I make a website & posts updates or stuff like that, I go back to correct English.

Funnily, the topic should properly read: "The basterdization of the English Language"

You don't really have "instructers", you have instructors.

"How much work is it?" is a contraction which acts as a bar to understanding. : It should properly be "How much more work is it?

<_<

(people in glass houses... )

First off, no offense to the starter of this, but there are plenty of mistakes in that message. So why pick at those who type brb or lol in there messages? I see nothing wrong with that. It saves time. But what gets me, is that when people should type the words out, they act like they are in a chat room. There is a big difference between an essay and a message to a friend.Just my two cents.oh, and, btw, bastardizing does sound like a strange word! <_<

Isn't this called abbreviation??? Never mind...Anyways they also do this in every thing like math, computer and science.....for medicines to cut short words...or do they not??For example CD ROM....compact disk read only memory.....is that not the same as LOL.....laugh out loud.... ?Soon all this slang may go into a proper dictionary as every one is using it...And I sort of agree that it is quite annoying...I always say lol and lmao but only those two because it takes time to write all of it out.

SorE 2 C that it bugs you, but I'm a HUGE fan of bastardizing the english language. Actually, i dont generally use it in email and posts, but in chats and PMs i do. Mostly because i'm trying to keep a conversational pace while typing and i just want to get the point across as quickly as possible... my fingers just dont seem to move fast enough =P