xisto Community
Jeremie

I Hate The Bastardizing Of The English Language! Chat Slang

Heh, yeah. When I am laughing I usually use an onomatopoeia (Hey, like I just did!) unless I am in a hurry because l and o are right next to each other.The fact of the matter is, though, that most people just suck at grammar. Even the people who never use text talk just suck at grammar. Grammar is just something that most people figure just comes naturally, when it just doesn't work that way.

A. It's not bastardizing of English language, it's a way of typing things faster when you don't just have the time.B. Don't be a hardass, chill out dude. Please, don't be a boring person!C. There isn't anything wrong with "bastardizing" English. I think they should be on international use, it would make books and stuff much lighter, hah!

Well things like this are also very annoying for someone like me who sometimes are struggling actually understand what everyone is trying to express when they write in "codes", shorten words and other crappy things. As long as they do not write like this: i LaIkE 2 WrITe lAiKE TiS iT'S SOoOOO hAWt" - then I am pretty much okay with it. Because that is what I consider true chat language... also some very annoying words such as "lol" and so on. The English language is bastardizing the Norwegian language too! It is the reason why so many persons, are having problems with... well, they are splitting up words, adding words and integrating words that should not be too hard to write! Instead of writing "sykepleier" some would write "syke pleier." (=nurse) Aha, how terrible.

Dear friend the point here is to comunicate and thats it. If you can ask time to a person standing aside you just by pointing to your wrist and saying "time." then what is need to use the whole sentence " What is the time according to your watch sir?"?And while using informal communication if you understand what the person intends to then its absolutely correct to use short forms listed by you. Franckly speeking I don't even know the mening of all the items or words listed by you. HAHAHA. Laughing at myself. So don't be tensed dear friend. Have fun. A very happy christmas to you in advance.?

Uhh, knowing any language makes it hard to learn another language, that has nothing to do with English.

Actually it does. You have no idea how much English surrounds us every single day. In English splitting of words is actually more common than it is in Norwegian. In Norwegian there are so many words that are supposed to be written in ONE word, instead of two. Our teacher says this herself, there has been lots of newspaper complaining about it and so on. Many of us have better grades in English than we have in Nynorsk! (=one of the two versions of Norwegian.)

We already know Norwegian, and when we learn English it is definitely changing the way we write our mother tongue. It is not English that is being changed due to that, but it is our Norwegian that is being changed due to that we are learning English. Hard to understand, but true. My grandmother do not have this problem because she did barely even learn English. My mom do not have this problem either, but my dad does - because he is actually quite fluent in English. Hard to imagine, hah? But true. "lol" is a word that is used a lot by some annoying little chat people... among other words of English orgin.

^ Well I am learning Spanish, I have been learning it for 4 years now. I find that many English words are similar to Spanish ones, but the reason why we do not quite have the same effect there would be that our Spanish is pretty poor and we do not command it properly. At least I do not... and that Spanish does not surrounds us in our everyday life in the same way English does. I do not think you really know what you are talking about. English do have an effect on Norwegian more than any other language. English is the language that surrounds us wherever we go - and it is used to communicate with others around the world that do not have the same mother tongue. Maybe you would understand this if you were Norwegian, or even perhaps Swedish or Danish (I think they have a similar effect) and you would see the English language's major effect! More and more English words are being included in our everyday speech. Words such as "date" and "dot" are two examples. We do write English so much that we are turning more and more used to the English way of writing that sometimes it mixes with our Norwegian. Sure, it would probably would have an effect if Spanish, French or some other language was the language that surrounds us - but it is not. It is English.

A. It's not bastardizing of English language, it's a way of typing things faster when you don't just have the time.
B. Don't be a hardass, chill out dude. Please, don't be a boring person!

C. There isn't anything wrong with "bastardizing" English. I think they should be on international use, it would make books and stuff much lighter, hah!

Yeah for real dawg. Its juts a way of saving time.

people are really sharp these days. no need to waste time writing long words, etc.

I hate the bastardization of the portuguese language more! Does it happen with the English language, that a group of scholars gather up and decide that a word you have spelled your whole life now has changed? that some words are no longer hyphenized and some still are? man, every 20 years or so they invent something like that, now all schoolbooks and laws will have to be rewritten, etc.If it was a natural change, like to accomodate some transliterations (like the verb "to scan" has become "escanear") is evolutionary, but to change the writing of the words that already exists is plain dumb.

Yeah for real dawg. Its juts a way of saving time.

people are really sharp these days. no need to waste time writing long words, etc.

Since the past year or so i have been getting into the habbit of writing proper english on MSN and texting.

And now i just get cheesed off of people writing in "txt" language - i just can't stand people writing "u" "ur" and "lolz" in forums, it doesnt feel right!

It's just a way of people to express themselves and to label themselves LAZY.

It's also hard for people who have English as a second language, since they weren't taught this sort of stuff

Writing in a proper form is also better for your language skills, plus give the reader better reading skills - and it shows that you are a higher state if you wish to put it that way.

For example, which would get a better reputation?

A: Yo m8, ow do i do this???? I ned 2 no now!

B: Hi, i am sort of stuck and i need help on this - thanks

I think you would find that B is also much more polite than A

The bastardisation of the English language didn't begin with text messaging but rather with the branching off from correctness taken by what is known in the U.S. As "American English" and in the rest of the English-speaking world as an ignorant and habitually misspelled bastardisation of an otherwise perfectly fine language. Here's a clue Americans: There IS NO such thing as American English. You didn't invent the language; the English did. Therefore, if there is a difference between an English spelling of something and an "American English" spelling of something, guess which one is correct and which is incorrect? That's right, the ones who invented the language get to determine which is which. And they pretty consistently agree that words like "armor" and "color" and "honor" and "favorite" are actually spelled "armour", "colour", "honour" and "favourite". A five year old writing his Rs backwards isn't inventing a new way of writing, he's simply incorrect. Get over yourselves.

Chat slang is OK when used in moderation. However, some people go way overboard with it and that irritates me. (Maybe it only irritates me because I am a grammar nut, who knows?) I use good grammar regardless of the method of communication. I do not use chat slang even in IM and text conversations. I put in full words and use proper punctuation. I think a lot of it, like clouds421 said, is aesthetics though. This is especially true when people use sticky caps and ASCII characters, or little symbols (such as the heart symbol, etc.). However, that's no excuse for it. I'm typing and/or texting to people because I want to talk to them, and I certainly want them to be able to read what I'm saying without straining. I can tolerate chat slang being used every once in a while but I myself do not use it, and it annoys me when it's used in excess. The only chat slang term I use is "LOL" or "LMAO" and that's just because I think it would look a little weird to type or text out "laugh out loud" or "laughing my *bottom* off" when the acronym will do just fine.

I don't think that it's wrong to use in chats but like you said in Essays. I don't think that my teacher would allow that she is really strict when writing English sentences. But in SMSes for example they are good because you can use only 128(I'm not sure here) characters so you need, because you can write ten short messages to say to a friend to come over to you because you need to talk to them. You know, the same thing is happening with my native language (Albanian) acronyms are created everyday and I hate that :S.