xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nicky1

Is There Anyway To Make Winxp Start Faster? booting up so long...

To speed up the process before windows starts, like the black screens and junk, you should download tunexp and ms bootvis. I haven't used bootvis first, but i'm going to this weekend after I defrag. Tunexp has reduced the time Windows loads at the start(the windows xp logo with the bars). it only goes by twice, which used to be like five times before I used that tunexp boot tweak.

You must going to start - Runand type msconfigand then go to Startup taband un check tiks to unload on your windows start upif u have not start up program on your os your system uploading faster

Beware of the TweakUI program.. even though these programs do help you out to tweek ur pc for faster performance, wrong settings can result in adverse results. So it is better that you dont use such programs and do basic things like un-installing useless programs and also disabling them from startup. Disabling System restore ( be careful doing this ), periodically defragment your hard -drive.

Service tweaks do reduce the startup time. However remember to defragment the drive where Windows is installed often (at least once a week).

Also without using bootvis you can perform the exact similar tasks :

1. Start -> Run type : defrag c: -b

Assuming Windows XP to be installed in drive C.

Then again Start->Run type : rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

This process run's in background (no visible window), but look for the hard disk activity led .... takes some time to complete.

HI!!

I also was waiting a long time to my windows xp so i serached a lot and i found this programm Tewak XP.

Performance Tweaks

Application Defrag

ASPI Drivers

Auto Delete Temporary Folder

Automate Disk Cleanup

Backup - The easy way

CD ROM Stops AutoPlaying...

Changing CD Staging Area Folder Location

Clean your prefetch to improve performance.

Clicking AVI Files on explorer causing 100% CPU Usage

Contiguous File Allocation size

Convert FAT32 To NTFS

Correcting System Hang at Startup

Decrease system loading time by changing network settings

Decrease your Applications startup time

Delete Prefetch Automatically

Disable automatic updating

Disable auto-reboot

Disable Debug Scripting in Internet Explorer

Disable Disk Cleanup

Disable Indexing Services

Disable Prefetch for low memory systems

Disable Recent Documents History

Disable Search from looking in zip (compressed) files

Disable unnecessary programs

Disable unnecessary services to free system resources

Disable XP Boot Logo

Disable zip folders

Disabling Automatic Updates properly DMA Mode on IDE Devices

Easily Disable Messenger

Easy Way to Adjust LargeSystemCache

Edit Hidden System Settings using Group Policy Editor

Enable or disable boot defrag

Fast startup /shutdown

Faster Boot-Up without tons of fonts

Faster Dual Boot Timeout

Faster startup of Windows XP

Fonts: more thereon ...

Free-up some more disk space

Fresh Install with no ACPI (updated)

Fresh install with no ACPI.

Gaming Machine: Hardware Profile to free up System Resources

Get rid of IM and no slow OE startup

Getting More Processing Power

HDD slowdown when booting

Increase speed by tweaking prefetcher settings

Increase XP NTFS performance

Intel Application Accelerator - speed up disk access

Its all about your priorities

Launch apps with desired priority setting

Make icons in windows appear quicker

Memory Performance Tweak

MFT Fragmentation

Modify application timeout

Modify auto-reboot setting

No DOZE

No more low disk space messages

NTFS Cluster size

Problems enabling DMA on IDE drives

Proformance Increase through My Computer

Reduce 10 second scandisk wait time

Remove hibernation file

Remove start-up items

Sacrifice Graphics for Speed

Services

Services Info and Configurations

Shutdown XP using your keyboard!

Simple Outlook express loading after msn messenger is removed

Skip Operating System selection on boot

Slow logon to domain in XP Pro

Slow network access not always due to Scheduled tasks check

Smooth Mouse

Speed Boot - Shave 2 Seconds

Speed up boot by disabling unused ports

Speed up Detailed view in Explorer

Speed up Menu Appearence Without Causing Problems with zero delay

Speed up menu display

Speed up Network Browsing

Speed-up log-in tremendously!

Stop Jerkey Graphics

Stop jerky graphics. The alternative way.

Stripping Page File across Multiple Hard drives

System Response

System Settings for a Game Machine

The System Configuration Utility

Turn off disk performance monitors

Turn off Indexing to speed up XP

Turn off System Restore to save space

Unload .dll's to Free Memory

Users not interested in fancy windows and colors

Very Slow boot when networking

View and manage startup programs

Watch movies with 'AboveNormal' priority

Windows XP does have a back-up Utility!!!

Windows XP Icon Cache

thx tux

That took me ages to scroll through!! As i was using my PSP browser at the time

On Topic: If your Windows is really that slow you probually have a virus or some other form of malware. Next time you log in i reccomend you update your virus scanner and then do an ixtensive virus scan.

What I have seen, WinXP is really a good OS as compared to others, but if it is taking longer time to boot in your pc there may be a couple of reasons for that viz.Many unnecessary programmes in startup, for this try finding out the unuseful processes and remove them from booting- it will greately reduce the boot time of your machine.Secondly see if you have not installed some heavy antivirus programme, any Symantec product, coz that is something which will reduce the speed of your system drastically.Hope these two things will help.

yeah this will work click on strt and then on run type without quotes "msconfig" and press enter and then select the last option and select the neccessary programms only.................and press apply the reboot m sure and its tested dun worry and be happyfor further assistence contact me....rite2alok@gmail.comortestingpirakx@gmail.com

Edited by sweet_tchxprt (see edit history)

mine is tweaked well only 18 proccesses running its faast.. :) disable uneeded stuff and lessen the fonts.(this will make booting significantly faster.) disable themes, system restore(i find this useless.) use clamwin.(no guard though. so no running proccesses.)and defrag once a year with perfectdisk..

Why you believe in all that "hacker" things.If you want to start faster,get better performance computer.If your computer was fast and it started slow,you got a virus.Scan your computer,and if that doesn't help use malware tools,or format your disc.Other,way is to destroy your computer with all these lies.Msconfig option for startup,yes can help you but other way is to go to start menu,all programs,startup,right click,open and see if you don't need something,remove it.Then go to My Computer,C:,Documents and Settings,All Users,Start menu,Startup and delete everything you don't need.

open up run from the start menu, and type in msconfig and click run. from this go to startup tab and uncheck all the useless ones that aren't needed (instant messengers, random programs, etc.) This will make it so windows doesn't start up all the stuff that it doesn't need to run when it first starts, making log on much faster.

Another reason it could be running slow is if you have laptop it could be searching for wireless networks just before the GUI screen flashes up. For instance on my laptop boot times take longer when i first press the power button because i have 8 or so USB devices hooked up to a USB and then into the laptop. So that adds an extra 10 or so seconds at the BIOS stage. Then it loads the kernel etc into memory but just before the GUI flashes up it may hang anywhere up to a full minute scanning for wireless networks before kicking up the GUI.Disabling processes won't do much for the problem mentioned in the first post as that only shaves off a certain percentage of boot time (under normal circumstances). In the case described in post one it could be a virus, a registry or corrupt file error, or one of the problems i have mentioned.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

There are plenty of reasons cause which system could have slowed down the performance. Check this for windows xp performance improvements. You can check the article from Bing for the windows vista improvements.

Other than this, try checking the system for any spyware or malware. As most of the malware or virus reduces the system performance. I have seen some malwares taking over other running resources and creating duplicates of it. So better try running Spybot search & destroy & Malware antimalware bytes. This will help in some cases. Also increase the RAM of your machine you'll see some improvements as well. Also clean up some space by uninstalling some unused programs. That will help as well.

Disabling some useless processes is not a bad idea, and sometimes thats essential. Because some processes may conflict with your drivers and will slow down your system. I had faced this problem before. A process slowed down my system upto 4 minutes after logging in. I checked the entire process list and found that one process is in starting state and causing all this delay. Turning off that process speeds up my system again.. I'm doing this every time I reinstalled my XP.