xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nicky1

Is There Anyway To Make Winxp Start Faster? booting up so long...

For windows xp's default services we can find out which are worthy and which are not. There is blackvipers site for disabling some services from windows XP, Vista and Win 7. Turning system resources which are not needed help a lot. I'm in search of any small utility that watches processes and gives information about it and can show if the service is important or is from system. I tried sysinternals process explorer but it's not what i want.

I'm in search of any small utility that watches processes and gives information about it and can show if the service is important or is from system. I tried sysinternals process explorer but it's not what i want.

Well, I think a utility cannot determine the usefulness of a service, it depends on use, like printer daemon, workstation, updates etc... these are unnecessary for most of the users.. So we have to determine which is useful and which is not.

I am using an utility called Autostart and Process Viewer(APV).. I have been using that for 5 years.. it stays in the tray and watches all running processes. If a new service started without our permission, or a new autostart entry saved it will warn us. So we can kill and remove them right then, or accept it. A very useful freeware. You know, every time I reinstall xp the first software I install is APV.

If you want you can download it from here Autostart and Process Viewer. It is below 1MB
Edited by xpress (see edit history)

it stays in the tray and watches all running processes. If a new service started without our permission, or a new autostart entry saved it will warn us. So we can kill and remove them right then, or accept it. A very useful freeware. You know, every time I reinstall xp the first software I install is APV.

This is the utility what i wanted to do the stuff. Thanks for the link. I'll try the utility, i'll let you know about it.

This is the utility what i wanted to do the stuff. Thanks for the link. I'll try the utility, i'll let you know about it.

You'll definitely like it. After installing open it and accept all the processes you think good. And remove un necessary entries from autostart tab. And don't forget to change the flashing color to somewhat darker (red is better, this setting available in info tab). Then everytime a new process appears the tray icon flashes. Show warning dialog setting is useless in my opinion. It irritates us sometimes. Edited by xpress (see edit history)

Well Windows defender now has the same features. Just tick off all unwanted start-up programs.Well I used APV before and I certainly liked it. But of course I just use whatever is built in...