xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
pitiunited

Wysiwyg

Just curius :)For example "WWW" mean world wide webI am interesting what "WYSIWYG" mean, how "decode" it word by word.

WYSIWYG stands for What You See Is What You Get. Its used to describe a program that can be used to create a website without typing the code yourself, e.g. Dreamweaver or FrontPage.

There are some free WYSIWYG editors around:
Freeware Home - WYSIWYG Editors
FrontPage Express
Netscape Browser (Has Netscape Composer WYSIWYG editor bundled with it)

My advice is to never use WYSIWYG editors since the code they produce is normally hideous. In the time it will take you to find a good free WYSIWYG editor, you could have already learned and memorized the basic syntax for an html page. With maybe an extra hour you would know style sheets and would be able to produce the same page with better code and more options then you ever could with one of those WYSIWYG editors. If you are going to make a website you should know what you are doing and not trusting anyone elses work

i've never used a free WYSIWYG editor, but i've used Dreamweaver a long time ago (a friend lend the CD, do the same, don't be stupid and buy an original CD). when i used Dreameaver, it didn't write "*BLEEP* code", and if it did, i always check the code up. so, it is much easier and faster than coding it with Notepad, PHPEditor or something, and the same secure.

Thanks guys for the free resources, I am downloading it right now! I do believe that it will come in useful. I like these editors because they are usually user frienly and easy to use and run, unlike other programs that take a while to load. This one features real time updates as you edit! At least that is what is says. Thanks again.

I think if you want to design a good website youll need a WYSIWYG editor, unless you totally understand and know how to write HTML, CSS, etc. I dont think that there are many free WYSIWYG editors out there, so yeah I would just borrow Dreamweaver or just download a Trial version of it.

I think you should go use dreamweaver or some thing suite is best, coz in the past, the web just simple static content. but now, you can see a lot of technology that you can added to web content, and more, more complex site now be required. so that's will be a good choose.

Hmm I want to use DreamWeaver, but I can't find a version wich is compatible with win98SE... Everywhere I look I see only win2000 or winXP :P And I fear that I will mess up my pc when I install it on my current OS

A perfectly good wysiwyg editor is included with the Mozilla suite. And Open Office includes a wysiwyg editor and some templates, also. Both are open source and free. The Mozilla suite is about 12 megs and Open Office is around 65 meg. Both work on win98se.

For those who say that you should never use a WYSIWYG website editor, NOT EVERYONE has time to learn how to html properly. I'm not saying that you shouldn't bother to learn basic html, but using a WYSIWYG gets your site online much quicker than PAYING someone else to do it for you the "right" way.I've never used a free one, so I can't comment on any suggested, but I used one to build my site online over the course of a weekend. I know there are errors on it, and it's probably not viewable in all browsers but it's a start and as I get time I plan on correcting things as much as possible.I got a call from a company that wanted me to PAY THEM $850 to "fix" my site for me. Pu-leaze. I could pay someone to build me a custom site for that much. And all the errors they mentioned are a result of having to use the "template-based" online website builder. Once I get it transfered over to Trap I should be able to fix most everything on my own.Anyway, the WYSIWYG website builders were not made for "professionals" to use (though I know many do to get things started quicker). They were made for people who want to have an online presence, but cannot justify the cost of hiring a professional web-designer to create it. Much like how there are now "programs" and "websites" that will create a "custom logo" for you, for cheap. The people who use these services WILL NOT PAY a graphic designer $$$ to design a logo for them, and I would much rather see them use these services to have a half-way decent logo, than something they threw together in WORD. YUK!I think if you want to avoid having a web-designer FLAKE OUT on you, and not get the job done on time, or to your specifications, the BEST option, is to use a WYSIWYG website builder and DO IT YOURSELF! But if you have all the time in the world, and plenty of money and PATIENCE for people who don't listen to what you want, by all means, hire a designer to build you a pretty site, that is no-where to be found in the search engines. Myself, I like my google PR4 and being #1 for my keywords on multiple engines, thank you very much. But hey, that's just me and my "little old WYSIWYG editor".