xisto Community
sonyguy

Largest Known Prime Number A very long number...

well i don't think it will take $1 million to just find the largest prime number.. Just write a program in c or may be c++ and go on putting numbers in that..

I'm sure to earn $100000 million you've that much of time to put numbers lol

199674[/snapback]

Well .. gotta note that the algorithm should be easy to write .. just 2 things

1) The lean-ness of the the codes .. It has to work really really very fast .. without any redundant process .. with such a HUGE number .. 1 redundant step is enough to slow the calculation by days if not months .. years .. etc

2) The computing power! Remember that this number was calculated from a distrubuted network of computers .. that is .. hundreds .. thousands of computers are doing the job

The only consolation is that we do not need to calculate from scratch .. we can set the parameters so that we start from 1with 10million zeroes ..

how about putting a decimal point in it or does it have to be a whole number.But i do agree though, the coding as to fast about maybe 5-10x times as fast as the original program that used to make this number.wait im looking at this number now and what was posted earlier, how can that number which ends in a 1 not be easily divided by soemthing else and looking at the other numbers it looks like more then just 1 and the number can be devided into it, unless my math is so bad (and it is) that i am wrong.AM I?

I sent them an email telling them that the largest known prime number is 11111111111111111......... until you get to 10 million characters. Who knows. I bet if you through a couple zeros in there you will get it. I would really laugh it it was a prime number. Imagine trying to figure out it it is. They would have to divide it by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ect to get to it. Actually they could skip every multiple of 5 and 10. It would take years to figure it out.

I've heard of people using their computer's processing power to help cure cancer and diseases and such... Never heard of it being used for finding the largest prime number :/I think all that power could have been used for something else, rather then using it to find a very large number that doesn't meant anything :)

do the prime number in binary consisting 0's and 1 and the last number being 5 since all yo ucan do is divide byt 6 and 1, maybe.

ahahaha thats awsome. My elementary school teacher always said that prime numbers could'nt be that big.  Only if I had her number right now.  Man thats just crazy I dont know how people would even check that.  What if the computer made a little tiny mistake. Would we have the brain power to ever really know?  Anyways that was interesting, and its great to know my teacher was wrong on this.  She always thought she was so smart.  lol cheers

190128[/snapback]

If I recall correctly the amount of prime numbers up to a number n is approximately a logarithmic function. So there are always larger and larger prime numbers they just get exponential further apart. There were some comments in other posts about the usefulness of computing the largest prime number. Can I ask, ?Is it useful to win a foot race?? The likely answer is no. However, the conditioning needed to win the race is important. In the same sense what is important is not so much the computation of the largest prime but the techniques used to find it.

Ha! Thats nothing.... i get payed that much an hour!! :)Thats awesome... i wonder what kind of inkget it takes to print off those posters if you need a magifiny glass to read it...Thats pretty amazing. Any one know how many computers it took to generate the number?

Ha! Thats nothing.... i get payed that much an hour!! :)

You get paid 100 grand an hour? In that case can I borrow 100 grand? I think with that much money I'll stay and do my PHD. I am just finishing my masters now and starting to get tired of being in debt. One hours of your wage and I am out of debt and will be able to live cheaply (20 k per year) for about 5 years.

That's a very large number heh but could it ever be effectivly used? Like is there anything in the word that has a quanity that large? I honostly am amazed but yet not convinced , anyhow the poster look's quite funny , more less a gray wall paper . But the price is a bit steep for a gray wallpaper :)

now thats a pay check i wouldn't mind getting every 2 weeks, but i would think the number will be larger if you just put a 1 as the last number no way you can divide it so thats the solution right their.

sorry man but i think that's not true at all, for an instance, if you put one 1 after 2, the first prime number, you get 21, and that's not a prime number, so you don't have a math dilema, other is 5, if you put a one after it, you get 51, and that's not a prime number, so i guess there is a lot of numbers in the same conditions, and the theory says: if you want to proove that one theorem is true, find one case at last that makes it false, and that's all, good night! :)

how about this. can you prove that it is the largest prime number or that all u did was just type a bunch of numbers?

Useless? Why yes it is. Entertaining? Yes that too. As you can see there are five pages here already. So it is something that is worth something to some people. :) I would love to find a prime number large enough to get the 100,000k. But I wouldn't spend more then a year looking for it. And I would actually be happy with that money coming in every 6 months! It's a nice salary. Well, thanks for the topic, it is definitely interesting :)

Useless I think not, I mean epox got alot of hosting creds off that (I think)That is so not totally useless. 100,000 dollars to find the biggest prime number... thats insane. That would take so long, not worth it. Atleast I don't think so.

Useless I think not, I mean epox got alot of hosting creds off that (I think)

That is so not totally useless. 100,000 dollars to find the biggest prime number... thats insane. That would take so long, not worth it. Atleast I don't think so.

204464[/snapback]

Yeah, I would say he should of put it in quotes. As I don't think a number is worth hosting credits. Let me figure out how to deduct him hosting credits.

Well, from experience, that much spam can deduct approx. 90 credits when the script executes the code. And believe me, that's virtually an immediate deletion of website, since the code deletes your website at -30 credits. And since you only have 15 credits, it's not going to look pretty :) And it's not even 10 million digits, you wouldn't get 100,000 anyways.

Edited by Dooga (see edit history)