xisto Community
sonyguy

Largest Known Prime Number A very long number...

That's a very large number heh but could it ever be effectivly used? Like is there anything in the word that has a quanity that large? I honostly am amazed but yet not convinced , anyhow the poster look's quite funny , more less a gray wall paper . But the price is a bit steep for a gray wallpaper :)

204328[/snapback]

I hardly doubt that thing number would really be at all usefull. Unless Apple decided to 10 000 iPods for every person on the earth. Still its pretty cool...

I think this is one of the most pathetic things for anyone to pay good money for. If they have so much money that they can throw it away on a bunch of papers that appear to contain random numbers, I think there's a problem. What's really sad is that in the light of all the homeless people, people are still buying dumb crap (for example, not too long ago someone bought "the world's longest french fry" off Ebay for a few thousand dollars, while the very next day, a longer french fry was discovered).It seems to me that any number such as 100001 would be a prime number, so all one has to do is make something like 10^100000 + 1 and there's a nice, big prime number.

I think this is one of the most pathetic things for anyone to pay good money for. If they have so much money that they can throw it away on a bunch of papers that appear to contain random numbers, I think there's a problem. What's really sad is that in the light of all the homeless people, people are still buying dumb crap (for example, not too long ago someone bought "the world's longest french fry" off Ebay for a few thousand dollars, while the very next day, a longer french fry was discovered).

It seems to me that any number such as 100001 would be a prime number, so all one has to do is make something like 10^100000 + 1 and there's a nice, big prime number.

204564[/snapback]

I might by it in the future and put it my future study. In my opinion it is art. How much would you pay for the Mona Lisa?

*I* wouldn't pay a penny; I could just as easily print out a copy of it and hang it on my wall. Why pay millions of dollars for the original, when one can have a very cheap and quite effective duplicate? I know there's the originality and "OMG I got da original, LOLZ!" factor, but I think it's nothing but a big waste of money.

*I* wouldn't pay a penny; I could just as easily print out a copy of it and hang it on my wall. Why pay millions of dollars for the original, when one can have a very cheap and quite effective duplicate? I know there's the originality and "OMG I got da original, LOLZ!" factor, but I think it's nothing but a big waste of money.

204587[/snapback]

I?m not asking if you would pay millions of dollars for the Mona Lisa. I asked how much would you pay. Make it hypothetical and say you can buy it but not sell it. For starters I?d atleast pay a few 100 for a Mona Lisa as you would pay that much for a reasonable sized painting from a talented local artist. I suppose a large part of what you will pay will depend on your disposable income. So maybe we should phrase it in terms of percentage of disposable income. A weeks worth of disposable income for the Mona Lisa would seem like a no brainier for me. However, I might rather a Van Gough.

hey!, i'm sorry, i don't wanted to earn credits in that way, i was only joking, anyway, i got only 6 credits, if you don't know to accept a joke, you are sad people, and anyway i don't believe other people takes this seriously, please forgive me!

Like I said, I wouldn't pay for Mona Lisa, since I know I wouldn't get any money from it, I don't need it, and I can get a low-quality version for my own pleasure more or less for free. I wouldn't have any need or use for the original (or even a detailed duplicate). I think I can say that about most artwork I have seen (some I may be tempted to actually pay money for, and yes I think that true artists deserve quite a bit of money for their paintings [and by "trust artist" I don't mean someone who makes new age abstracts, like "white canvas"], although once again I realise I wouldn't have any use for it and thus wouldn't offer to pay anything for it).

hey!, i'm sorry, i don't wanted to earn credits in that way, i was only joking, anyway, i got only 6 credits, if you don't know to accept a joke, you are sad people, and anyway i don't believe other people takes this seriously, please forgive me!

204595[/snapback]

You can use the quote tag so you don?t look like you are trying to cheat the hosting credit system. If you blame the audience for bombing you probably will never make much of a comic.

Interesting. But why have they stopped at that number. I thought the computer might be capble of finding an infinite number one that is close to infinity and keep on finding. Numbers are fun and if you think deeper about complex numbers, real numbers, rational, irrational numbers and the number 0 which the romans never did use, you would see it is really God's wonderful creation. Numbers always puzzle me anyway.

they even have competitions...

check this out... they even have some sort of a high score list

-----  -------------------------------- ------  ----  ---- --------------rank          description              digits  who  year  comment
-----  -------------------------------- ------  ----  ---- --------------
    1  2^25964951-1                  7816230 G8  2005      Mersenne 42?
    2  2^24036583-1                  7235733 G7  2004      Mersenne 41?
    3  2^20996011-1                  6320430 G6  2003      Mersenne 40?
    4  2^13466917-1                  4053946 G5  2001      Mersenne 39
    5f 27653*2^9167433+1        2759677 SB8  2005                       
    6  28433*2^7830457+1        2357207 SB7  2004                 
    7  2^6972593-1                    2098960 G4  1999      Mersenne 38
    8  5359*2^5054502+1          1521561 SB6  2003                       
    9b 4847*2^3321063+1        999744  SB9  2005                       
  10  2^3021377-1                  909526  G3  1998      Mersenne 37

Notice from saint-michael:
make sure to quote your material since you got this from the website.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

----- -------------------------------- ------ ---- ---- --------------rank description digits who year comment
----- -------------------------------- ------ ---- ---- --------------
1 2^25964951-1 7816230 G8 2005 Mersenne 42?
2 2^24036583-1 7235733 G7 2004 Mersenne 41?
3 2^20996011-1 6320430 G6 2003 Mersenne 40?
4 2^13466917-1 4053946 G5 2001 Mersenne 39
5f 27653*2^9167433+1 2759677 SB8 2005
6 28433*2^7830457+1 2357207 SB7 2004
7 2^6972593-1 2098960 G4 1999 Mersenne 38
8 5359*2^5054502+1 1521561 SB6 2003
9b 4847*2^3321063+1 999744 SB9 2005
10 2^3021377-1 909526 G3 1998 Mersenne 37

That's pretty funny. So they try and see who can find the largest prime number and who ever does wins. lol That's one way of getting them competive to challenge their own teammates to find the large number.

The world's largest known prime number is actually 7,816,230 digits long, so I'm not going to type it all out, but the 'Mersenne number' is 225,964,951? 1.

It was discovered by the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS), a distributed network of volunteers using their spare computer power to find the largest Mersenne primes. This system actually discovered the eight largest prime numbers known.

If you can find a prime number which has 10 million or more digits then you can have $100,000 from The Electronic Frontier Foundation. So if you'd like a good life, get a career in prime numbers :(

189819[/snapback]

1. After sonyguy initiated this thread, I have participated in this competition with two computers and I only test 6 numbers so far. Testing a number took one month on Pentium 4. Since I started in October but the others started in last February, I decided not to write my own program (which need time to test and verify) but I dediced to cooperate in a Group. In the GMSP group you either suggest and reserved number to test or they assign you one by connecting to a central server on the Internet (called PrimeNet) to get exponents to test and to report your results.

2. You will not waste time to test but your computer dothe job in matter not affect your use of your computer.You do not need a permanent Internet connection. The program waits in the background until you connect to the Internet. While you are browsing or reading your email, the program will send its small messages to the server. Also you can override this automatic behavior and completely control when the program contacts the server.

3. My rank is now became 7581 from 26,352

4. It is a serious matter and not for joking or guessing as the postings of St_micheal, bluhapp, shadowdemon, Plenoptic, Cerebral Stasis,..It is a very serious matter from thosands of year. But the computers give us the chance to perform what few years ago we couldn't. Of course the human was who approved the theories, the algorithm and the programs. Once the program is checked and tested and verified using many small and known data, it can be used for the bigger data which the creator of the program couldn't do for his/her spead time limit and life age limit.This beside that he/she can not guarntee performing his/her algorith without mistakes.

5. The reward is from the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) which was founded in 1990 to defend and protect our civil liberties in the networked world. It defend free speech, privacy, innovation, consumer rights and the public interest in every critical battle affecting digital rights. EFF beats back bad legislation. In addition to advising policymakers, EFF educates the press and public.

6. The cometition is not " finding the largest prime number " but the first prime number that have minimum 10 million digits. after that we are looking for more larger.That mean no stop [answering member Liance]

7. In mathematics, an integer greater than one is called a prime number if its only positive divisors (factors) are one and itself. For example 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, and 13. The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic by Euclid (350 BC) shows that every positive integer is a product of prime numbers in one and only one way, except for the order of the factors

8. The uses of prime numbers

Some are questioning why we looking for the prime numbers. Our member _R_Crazy_Idiot said

That's hilarious, the poster just looks grey. But to my knowledge, this project has no real practical purpose

Also Sirius and as well amhso asked

what what do prime numbers have to do with hunger, blind and cancer? .

In fact nobody claimed any envolvement of prime numbers in that. But somebody mentioned the cooperative or distribution computations which helped in that.

But in facts, the uses of primes are manifold:

- They were first studied because many of the properties of numbers are directly tied to their factorizations.

- They are used for a variety of encryption methods used to keep transactions safe and in CD and DVD protection.

- The search for Mersenne primes has proved useful in development of new algorithms, testing computer hardware, and interesting young students in math. I think the INTEL, Celeron and AMD are itersted in testing their processor.

- NASA scientists even decided that they are a good sign of intelligence and have included a short list of primes on the plaques sent out with the voyager spacecraft.

- As computers and cryptology continually give new emphasis to search for ever larger primes, this number will continue to grow. Before long we expect to see the first ten million digit prime.

9. How many primes are there?

The ancient Greeks proved (ca 300 BC) that there were infinitely many primes and that they were irregularly spaced (there can be arbitrarily large gaps between successive primes). On the other hand, in the nineteenth century it was shown that the number of primes less than or equal to n approaches n/log n) (as n gets very large); so a rough estimate for the nth prime is n log n .

10. What are Mersenne primes?

cse-icons asked "hey u mentioned 'Mersenne number'. what exactly is it?" and the answer is:

- A Mersenne prime is a prime number of the form M(P)= 2P-1.

Practicaly it is difficult to write number with 10 million figures because it will fill thousands of screan or pages . That why most of competitors including me try to concentrate on what is called Messerine number which is very subset of all numbers. That because it can be expressed as the diference of 2 of power -1.

- There are 42 known Mersenne primes so far. The 42d was disscovered in Fabruary 2005.

- The first few values of P which yield a Mersenne prime are M(2)=3, M(3)=7, M(5)=31, M(7)=127.

- A Lucas-Lehmer primality test is used to determine if 2P-1 is prime.

It take about a month to perform this test on Pentium 4 3000