xisto Community
sonyguy

Largest Known Prime Number A very long number...

I'm quite interested in this now. I'd like to know how you "combine" the computing power of multiple computers to solve something like this. If anybody really understands and knows how to do that, please let me know. I am going to start gathering a team of professors and math wizzes that I know. We might just go for all 3 prizes. That's 500,000. Even if I get a fifth of that, I'd be fine. Math is pretty fun sometimes, and now it can be plain ol' lucrative!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

ahahaha thats awsome. My elementary school teacher always said that prime numbers could'nt be that big. Only if I had her number right now. Man thats just crazy I dont know how people would even check that. What if the computer made a little tiny mistake. Would we have the brain power to ever really know? Anyways that was interesting, and its great to know my teacher was wrong on this. She always thought she was so smart. lol cheers

Oh comon don't be that mean to your teacher. If she was smart she'd be doing something else, but she isn't so she's a teacher. It's like making fun o disabled people for being desabled, it's just very bad taste :D

"If she was smart she'd be doing something else"? "It's like making fun of disabled people for being disabled"?I don't know if you're aware of how offensive saying something like that could be to a teacher, or to someone with a learning difficulty, but I think you should be aware that if you plan on saying something like that you should be very careful where you say it. First of all, it takes an awful lot of training and qualifications to become a teacher, it's also a VERY well-paid job, therefore making it PRETTY smart to become a teacher.Also, you shouldn't poke fun at people's decisions in life, she chose to be a teacher, you chose not to.And lastly, i'd just like to say that laughing at teacher for not being "as smart as she thought she was" is NOTHING like making fun of someone with a disability.People don't CHOOSE to be disabled, people DO choose to be a teacher.If anyone here is saying things in bad taste, I'm afraid to say it's most definately you.

I like prime numbers in my spare time, that is when I really don't have time to do anything then I try to find some formula to describe prime numbers currently I have formula that can describe first 1000 but everything after that is useless.And also I though that I might mention is why people are searching for prime numbers or why are they trying to calculate several millions of decimal places for number pi. The reasons is that these calculations are the easiest way to test new computer systems.

No data structure in the world could contain such a big number. So how do you try to code it?One more thing. If I give any damn number that is that long, how will they verify whether it is prime or not???(as long as it is not divisible by the smaller nos)Why would a govt give away that much money?? Probably his?country would feel proud that it's citizen has earned a name for his country. Then it should reward you for it.Apart from the prize money, the fame that comes alongwith is worth the money you spend trying to get the no. But then, where do you start????

Edited by angad619 (see edit history)

No data structure in the world could contain such a big number. So how do you try to code it?
One more thing. If I give any damn number that is that long, how will they verify whether it is prime or not???
(as long as it is not divisible by the smaller nos)

Why would a govt give away that much money?? Probably his country would feel proud that it's citizen has earned a name for his country. Then it should reward you for it.

Apart from the prize money, the fame that comes alongwith is worth the money you spend trying to get the no. But then, where do you start????

If this was reffering to me then I must say that there atre data structures that can hold numbers larger then long or double however there they are made like objects and because of that they in fact take more space then ordinary numbers.

And I didn't said that government would finance that it would just use it to test new systems.

However, if this was not for me then don't matter.

No data structure in the world could contain such a big number. So how do you try to code it?

One more thing. If I give any damn number that is that long, how will they verify whether it is prime or not???

(as long as it is not divisible by the smaller nos)

If they worked with raw numbers it would take all the super computers in the world to find the answer, they use exponents to calculate numbers, for example 2^345,869,567. and given a set range or say 500,000 number, an algorithm then processes all the number in that range, then submits it results back to a central server for double checking.

If you go to this link, and actually read about it you would understand .

wow, they guys using the world's fastest supercomputer that went over 120 teraflops (forgot its name) might be able to squeeze some calculations into the computer's daily routine, or just wire up hundreds of C2Qs and send them to calculatown

There is bound to be a bigger prime number, no matter what. Its just time that will find the number. Sigh, thats a ton of numbers. You seriously have to be dedicated or have no life to take a caereer in this. However that $100,000 sounds pretty nice. It will still take years actually programing a program that will find prime numbers, also you need to test it. I give up lol.

There is bound to be a bigger prime number, no matter what. Its just time that will find the number. Sigh, thats a ton of numbers. You seriously have to be dedicated or have no life to take a caereer in this. However that $100,000 sounds pretty nice. It will still take years actually programing a program that will find prime numbers, also you need to test it. I give up lol.

There will always be a bigger number. It's just a matter of whether we've invented a term for it yet.