xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Amezis

Program To Rotate Images 45 Degrees

I didn't know where to post it, so I just posted it here.

Well, what I want is a program to rotate an image I have. However, when I do it in Photoshop, the some of the lines are getting really pixelated and the quality of the image and details are gone. So, I wonder if there are any programs that can rotate the image 45 degrees without losing the picture quality.

Also, I've made a picture showing what I mean.

Before rotating 45 degrees:

Posted Image

After rotating:

Posted Image

As you may see, the lines on the second image are completely messed up.

But is there a program, or just a good way to rotate an image without losing the quality?

I think in Photoshop CS2 you can create Smart objects of layers, and then you can freely transform them into different shapes / positions, but I'm not very sure about that, since it might only work with resizing...

well after looking at your question I am wondering that is there any image editing software which can be better than Photoshop?I dont think so, I personally use THE GIMP and I am quite happy with the results. I use THE GIMP becasue it is free and I dont have enough money to purchase PHOTOSHOP!

I believe your issue is caused by not having the same dimension when you rotate. For example, the diagonal length is always greater than the side length. When you rotate the image to 45 degrees, the diagonal length is shrunken to the length of the side. A simple geometry flaw.

This is what I would do. Copy that image and paste it to the much larger image layer. So if your image is 40x40, copy it and click on new, make the new file's dimension to 60x60 then paste. See if that solves your image degradation.

I'm moving this to Software from Computers section.

Humm that's funny. I tried my theory but I too had the same 'broken line' effect. So I tried this without copying and pasting to a new file layer:

Image rotate arbitrary 45 degrees clock wise (CW) --> rotate 90 degrees counter clock wise (CCW)

And this is what I got

Posted Image

It seems like when you just do 45 degrees CCW I get the same effect. I have no idea why... that's puzzling. I wonder if the compression is showing moir? cause?

I personally use Gimp and if i remember well i suffered with 45 degrees rotations. But i think it suffers the same way as Photoshop does. If you find an elegant solution please post it here.

i believe the problem is that your rotating a picture which is probably 72 dpi. If you rotate one that's at 150 or 300 or even higher the quality is much better. shame though because that also means that you would have to create your images at a much hight dpi.round.

sqrt(2)

Program To Rotate Images 45 Degrees

No matter what resolution your image has, it will not be kept when you rotate it 45 degrees. That is because the diagonal of a square pixel is sqrt(2)*(pixel length), which is an irrational number.

Also, the drawing programs initially anti-alias for square pixels, not for rhombus ones.

Vector graphics may give the best approximation, though, as mentioned. (But you may have to draw in a vector graphics program from the start for the greatest effect.)

-reply by Elias Hasle

I didn't know where to post it, so I just posted it here.

Well, what I want is a program to rotate an image I have. However, when I do it in Photoshop, the some of the lines are getting really pixelated and the quality of the image and details are gone. So, I wonder if there are any programs that can rotate the image 45 degrees without losing the picture quality.

Also, I've made a picture showing what I mean.

Before rotating 45 degrees:

Posted Image

After rotating:

Posted Image

As you may see, the lines on the second image are completely messed up.

But is there a program, or just a good way to rotate an image without losing the quality?

the distortion is caused by the original image. The higher the resolution of the original, the lower the distortion. Pixels are tiny squares; in the original image a striagh lines is simply square stacked on top of one another (vertical lines) or next to each other (horizontal line), but when you rotate the image 45 degrees it's like trying to draw a 45-degree lines by only using vertical and horizontal line segments.

actually i should say the distortions are not only depended to the resolution of image it also depends of monitor resolution too. if resolution of your monitor is very low then you will see image with many distortion because when you see it in the full zoom in a monitor with something like 800*600 resolution image with resolution of 800*600 will take all over of your screen but if you use a monitor with 1920*1200 then image only takes 20 percent of the whole screen so distortions will not be very visible. for these problem i suggest to blur the edges of the image after upscaling it and then again downscale it and your image will be better and do this process using GIMP or PhotoShop for better results.