xisto Community
serverph

Gmail Skinning - A Quick Guide via CSS :D

tired of the same GMAIL look? GMAIL starting to melt your eyes with its antiseptic colors? :D i know it can be a bit harsh... but didn't you wish that you can change how your gmail looks when you log into it? :( surely you will want to try this out: SKIN GMAIL! :D

some basics:

* you would need a GMAIL account (obviously! :( if you still don't have one, PM me, and i will gladly send you a gmail invite. B))

* you would need firefox since you would be using an extension file [uRIid extension]. if you don't know firefox, you're missing out on the best explorer alternative there is. :D (newbies, just google it).

* you need to tinker with CSS to achieve the look you want. a downloadable sample is made available on the page below. :(

* if you are going to overwrite anything on your system, make sure to make backups (just to remind you so you don't go blaming me when something goes wrong in your attempt to skin gmail. :()

VIEW sample skinned GMAIL.

now to the good stuff... Here is an ABRIDGED version:

* Install the URIid Mozilla/Firefox extension.

* Download this CSS file.

* Locate your profile folder and the chrome folder within that.

* Copy the downloaded CSS file to the chrome folder and rename it to userContent.css (if you already have such a file, you will have to merge the two).

* Restart Firefox.

* Visit Gmail.

For a longer explanation, visit:

http://blog.persistent.info/2004/10/skinning-gmail-with-custom-stylesheet.html

post screenshots of your new skinned gmail! :D

---

ADDED:

* to date, FOUR gmail skins you may want to try or dissect:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

* It's Not Working - Help!: some tips and pointers

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by serverph (see edit history)

Cool! It actually works for me! Bwahaha. I installed the same one you did, the rest didn't look too great.Thanks

Very nice and handy tutorial for Firefox users, too bad I made a switch to Opera right before I went on vacation (whch I am right now so I use the internet exploiter).. Lucky I aint that bored by the gmail skin :D

My bad, I didn't use firefox :( I wish it can be used for all browser :D especially netscape and IE that I currently use. :( Altough, after look at downloadable skin I think the original gmail interface is better. And I'm not good enough to make one :(

hey thnx buddy for this great tutorial. i think this a really good idea of skinning the gmail..it will be great enough if google can come up with skins for gmail...that will support all the browser as well..so that people who dont use firefox will also be able to skin their gmail.

Thanks for the tip - it'll be useful for me since I use Firefox most of the time. I don't have any complaints about the default Gmail mailbox skin, but just in case it needs a fresh look, I'll know where to turn to.

I did exactly what you said, but it doesn't work. I already restarted my computer so that ain't it. Are there any specifications needed to get it work? I like the skin so it would be great if I get it worked :D The white one is pretty boring..

I think its only a temporary skin. You won't be able to see your skin on another computer without firefox installed with that skin mod for gmail. It's like cheating Firefox to believe and change the skin when you logon to gmail. So its a local computer thing. Nothing is changed on gmail I suppose. It's just how Firefox display it to you.

I bet you can make it work with Netscape 7.2, since I managed to get Mozilla calendar installed. The two use the same basic innards, you know.

It didn't work. I managed to get the extention installed, however. I didn't find a profile folder, so I just put the CSS file in the chrome folder of the Netscape Program files folder. Any suggestions?