xisto Community
ckuehner

First Computer You Ever Owned What was the first personal computer tha

Man am I an oldie:Toshiba laptop386sx 33mghz 512k RAM, 110mb HD, 10"xga Windows 3.1How about that? At the time (93?) I paid 600 bucks for it used, and it had cost about 1500 bucks a year and a half before THAT. I thought it was the coolest thing I would ever want to own.Now?2.8 Ghz P4 HT, 1024 MB RAM, 2x120gb hd, 1x76gb scsi 15,000 rpm Cheeta hd, 17" sony lcd, XP Pro SP2.I sold the laptop to a five year old for 5 bucks, he thought it was cool (as in antique cool)Forrest

my first computer is actually stolen so I cannot share here the exact specification but it has an AMD Morgan 1.1GHz, 256MB Memory, onboard VGA, 17" CRT monitor, a cd writer, DVD drive, CDROM, 20GB HDD and Windows 98 SE.Up to this day I think the one who stole it is still using my machine.

My very first computer....was built by my uncle. Ran off of Windows 3.1....had them B: drive (real) floppies. Weighed like a tank. And had i think 300mb....if that...Boy have times changed *looks at computer with 200gb*

My first computer was a commodore64 which ran great games for those times from a tape player and communicated in some Qbasic V2 software-that's what i noticed back then but i don't know if i read well:)

Description:

Manufacturer Commodore Business Machines
Model Commodore 64
Date Announced 1982
Date Canceled 1993
Country of Origin USA
Price $600
Current Value $0-$50

Specifications

Processor MOS 6510
Speed 1 MHz
RAM 64K
ROM 20K
Storage Cassette Tape or 5.25" floppy drive
Expansion Cartridge slot
Video 320x200x16 color composite video or TV out
I/O Serial, Parallel, optional IEEE-488
OS Options Commodore DOS, CP/M (with Z80 coprocessor)

these are specs i could get from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.
shtml
Gold Times,it took forever to find a game on the tape,i usually missed the point where the game started and searched for it many minutes playing ff and backwards the tape,hehe. :)

my first computer was the commador 64, it was amazing, i loved playing ghost busters on it, it had some REAL GREAT titles, it booted up in a dos mode and you needed to run commands. I forget the exact specs of it, but i still have it laying around, actually maybe a couple of them, including tones of accessories they came out with, like external tape drives, COLOR printer:P stuff liek that!

My first computer was a Gateway 2000, only it wasn't from the year 2000, it ran Windows 95 with 2gb of space, even though that computer was HUGE! It was $1,700 too! It was top of the line back when it was bought in I believe 1997, but wow, look at computers now, unbelievable. The price has gone down so much. I actually still have that computer because we've yet to transfer documents from it to the new one, but its taking up a lot of space!

Just a curiosity issue for me. I know that a lot of you are very young (at least compared to me), so I imagine that some of the responses will be Pentium 3's or 4's.

However, bringing back memories of older technology is entertaining for me. So if you started "Back in the Good Ol' Days" I'd like to hear what you started with.

The first computer that I ever personally owned was a Timex-Sinclair 1000. It was a small thing that hooked upi to a television for a monitor.

The base system came with 1K of memory. There was no such thing as a hard drive at the time. We stored programs on tape (basically a standard audio cassette. I also had this big module that plugged into the back to increase my memory to 16K.

The graphics were pitiful by todays standards, but not bad for the time. I was able to play Frogger and a lot of Text Adventures. I also used it to learn programming in BASIC and Pascal.

162113[/snapback]

The very, very first computer that I can remember having (Im 13) was my parents. It was still in DOS I think, because I remember playing old DOS games on it with my brother. Then we got a Pentium 2 comp with about 2.5 gb of space and .8 mb of ram, and now ive got my own Pentium 4 comp thats all costimised with the best of stuff.

You might find this funny...but the first computer I owned was when I was 9 and it was Windows 3.1 or something like that. Basiclly I coudn't do anything with it. Then I got a new computer (windows XP) back then I didn't really know much bout computers so I took a floppy disk that I had from the old computer and installed it into my new computer. I didn't even what the flippy disk contained. so long story short I messed up my new computer. hehehe :lol:

The first computer we had in our home was like ....intel 877Mghz with 128 mb ram and 20 Gb Hdd.it was considereed a good computer in 2001.And Now i have Intel Centrino 1.7 Ghz, 512 Mb memory,128 ATi Graphic card , and 60 Gb hard disk...Im pretty happy with my laptop.

OMG, I am old :lol: . The very first computer I owned, I got for my 14 or 15th birthday about 1978. It was a timex sinclair 1000.

Posted Image

It had 2k ram and used a cassete tape deck to store programs.

In case you are wondering what you can do with 2k, not much it took about 2.5 pages of ascii graphics to run out of memory.

Here is a link for more info:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Mine was the one on the bottom, and I never managed to get the 16k memory expansion pack (16 kilobytes)! :)

The first computer I ever owned was an OLD AMD system. I never found out what kind of processor type it was, mostly because the computer fried before I ever got to seriously tinker with it. I know that it was a "Socket A" motherboard and the processor ran at about 575Mhz. It was a decent computer, I got it from my mom's friend who had it custom built.I think that computer is what laid the groundwork for me deceiding that working on computers was something I would like.

I had a Tandy 1000. No hard drive, everything was on floppies, 3.5" though. Everything was proprietary so it really couldn't handle many games. It did have hangman though. And a good ole dot matrix printer, man I don't miss ripping those stupid strips off the sides of my homework.

the first computer i ever owned was a Pentium 1 back in 1993 or 1994. It's processor was running at 100MHz and with 16MB of ram. 4GB of Hard disk space and a 4x CD-ROM. Back then, that was considered as one of the best there ever was. B)I still keep it in my store room as remembrance B)

It is interesting to share the info of my first computer...I purchased in around 6 years back from a local dealer. The processor was Pentium III with 800 MHz speed. Mother board was initially Intel 810 which I upgraded to 815 after a failure by myself. RAM was 128 MB and the HD was 20 GB. I remember, I had plenty of free space on this small box!!!Anyhow, it is history as I got my new Pentium IV 3 GHz HT PC...