xisto Community
sunkist

How Did You Learn To Make Web Pages?

I really have no clue how it began for me, I guess it all started out when I saw a friend of mine had a hosted site up that showed all of the pictures he took from college. I decided, hey what the heck, looks pretty interesting, I guess I'll try something like that out. So I got started on Angelfire and didn't even use the advanced options tab (for the use of HTML). I just used the basic level and wow was the site layout crappy. Soon I was looking at source codes and learning what different codes did for the layout. Soon I was converting all of my files to advanced and did just HTML language.That was about 20 months ago, and throughout time I have read some online tutorials and articles relating to website making. I joined Xisto because I had had enough with advertisements, and wow was I introduced to a whole new level of website design. All of these features were unfamilar to me, and I am now just starting to come around to them. So basically I started out with Angelfire, but in reality I'm really just starting out here at Xisto because of all the features it has to offer that I never heard of...guess I could say I really stink at this stuff, but I'll get it sooner or later...

For me, it all started with me fooling around with FrontPage when I was 12 or so, and i looked more and more into web design, etc.

A very good resource to begin your web designing endevours is at http://www.w3schools.com/ and also http://www.oswd.org/.

OSWD.org is a particulary useful website, and I'm sure you'll find it very useful.

whyme

I actualy started learning html few months back, when I realised I wanted to make my own web site. First, I used some free hosting, they let you only have 7 pages, and they had some kind of online editor for html files. They didn't have ftp, or anything...Then, my friend told me I can learn to make my own pages, the way I want them to apper, without those poor online templates. So, I started off easily, with Nvu, a cool little program for making web pages. Since I still don't know html all that well, this is great what you see is what you get (i think that's what it's called :unsure:) editor.When I learn html better, I will try to make a webpage in Dreamweaver, because my friend tells me Dreamweaver is the best for making web pages.I still haven't started learning php, and I don't think I will any time soon :D

I think I got webhosting before I realized I even wanted to make a website. I had a few pictures to share and I got hosting for that. Then I used frontpage for a little "about me" page- very primitive. :unsure: Once I wanted to add more I started messing around with Microsoft Publisher's page maker, but once I checked out sites like webmonkey.com I realized that program added a lot of extra code into the pages. I pretty much figured out how to do HTML on my own by looking at the source code on different webpages.

*turns around behind him gets in the bookshelf and pulls out about 10 books on varying HTML topics from HTML to XHTML and flash books*I started about 6 years ago on web design from reading things on the web and stuff viewing other peoples pages and picking apart the HTML and putting it together my own way to see what did what.then i found all these books and some with cd's as well and I went to town. My friend uses XARA and Dreamweaver but I was doing stuff with notepad and later a program called CONText (programmers editor) before I found out about WYSIWYG editors and dreamweaver stuff like that.I have had people hiring for web design positions tell me that I know more then alot of kids coming out of college because I am self taught and people who teach themselves have a tendancy to retain and implement the information and knowledge better and have more hands on experience.So I urge anyone reading this that hasn't already get out there get some books they aren't that much and you can find them simple enough google what you want to know or any search engine of your choice pull code apart and put it back together your own way. you will learn more and as i said retain the information alot betterto learn is to practice and to practice you have to do it.

I started with WYSIWYG editors, but then realised most of them were s*** so just kind of picked it up, I read around the internet for a while, searched google stuff like that, made a series of very bad websites, 'borrowed' some code from other sites, got bored at having to change 100's of <font> </font> tags, discovered CSS and everyone was happy, then I went to college and studied it there (didn't learn a thing), I also used w3schools.com alot, if you want to learn HTML, or CSS I would suggest starting there.

Well, I started discovering the possibilities of making a website in... 1998 I think, I didn?t have even 56 kbps at home so I spent lots of hours browsing webs at University. I have to say that I?m Journalist so, don?t know maybe I?m supposed to be more interested in contents than in design.Soon I started building my own music website in the University... I made a few htmls with Frontpage at home which seemed very easy and Word-alike and transferred it at the faculty. So I try a lot of annoying free webhostings, slow, without FTP and with big banners and popups... I don?t miss those times :D Later, as my interest growed I found myself doing a few graphic-design and web-design studies and learnt to use Dreamweaver, pure html, some css and Flash. And with some help with friends I got into a bit of php and stuff like that. But once you know some basics, you can improve with those tons of tutorials that wise and sharing people puts to our disposition. :unsure: Now I would like to try a lot of things in websites but I haven?t got enough time.

Hey, thanks for everybody who answered! I was thinking of taking a class in it, but it looks like the concesus is that lots and lots of people are able to learn web page building just by "picking it up" . A little bit here, a little bit there.I have some books too. Still debating about taking a class in it.Sunkist

well if you want to become ones of the business .com websites the school is the only way you can get them high paying jobs.but what you learn in school is just basic stuff really how to set up everything and what not, so goign to many different website or even looking at the source code to see how its does is always useful, thats how i really start by looking at source code and then save it to the computer and make edits here and there to see how it changes. and then i started working with image maps and frames which didn't last long. then broke off of it for awhile then got back into it again using css, javascript, some vbscript, dhtml and other dynamic coding except for the server side coding.i think i used almost every html editor out there to see how it works, but i just use note pad about 99% of the time.think the best thing to learn is css cuz it saves you a lot of time and space for the website.

I was always very curious about how web pages were made. I remember signing up for a free angelfire account where I put a picture of my ex girlfriend (current at the time) and showed it to her. I then got cable Internet and would surf the net all day. I came accross howstuffworks.com and started reading almost every article on that website. I came accross the "How Web Pages" work article and read it. I learned a few things about web pages. My ISP provided me 50 megs of free space. I used it to learn a few things. I had a "blog" on that space but quit it after a few days. Then I started to look more into the creation of websites. I bought a template for five bucks and signed up for paid hosting (which I can no longer afford) and purchased my first domain name. This was over a year ago. I still have a lot to learn. I hardly know HTML :P

I was 8, first got my internet - wanted to make websites but didn't know how. Tried using those page makers but it was too hard and didn't do what I wanted..so I found HTML helping websites such as LISSAEXPLAINS, SPARKLE2001(gone) and FUNKY-CHICKEN . I *think* I learned most of the code quick, as I really was determind... as soon as I knew all of the basics I started to create 'good' websites and i got better because of practise...and practice DOES really make perfect, well somewhere near perfect.I think I learnt CSS first though as it's sooooo easy, A LOT easier than any code out there. It's the main thing that makes your site look good, besides good graphics. Also I also had some sort of natural talent of matching colours and making things look colour themed throughout the css code and page...i think it's mainly a girls thing though - as 'most' guys don't know how to compose a site using matching colours.. (incl links, header, hovers, text colour etc.). My websites are still bad but they've gotten better and they're mostly 'my style'.

I was on my second or third yaer at university, when I started designing websites. I was a fan of this blond female acoustic singer from United States (and still I am) and I was amazed by so much number of websites dedicated for her. And so, I decided to have my own and join the bandwago. I don't have background on computers that time but because I was taking architecture, I have more advantage on lay-out and designing.I started reading my cousine's basic HTML book, where you encode the codes using note pad for me to have an idea on how those scripts work. Then, I've seen my cousin design websites using that one from Netscape (I forgot what it is called). Because that was a WYSIWYG program, the designing has been easier. But I was not satisfied with how it went. I want the website to have frames so visitors won't have to scroll all the way down. So I search the internet and found more stuff on that. then, other prorams followed - Cascadind Style Sheets, Javascripts, Microsoft Frontpage Express, Adobe Photoshop and Imageready and now I am strating to study Macromedia Flash and Dreamweaver.

Like someone said i learned Html from neopets. They have a guide on it and i used it to make neopoints by selling really good guild layouts.Then when they banned people ofr doing this i stopped it and bought a book on it read it. Then i learned CSS from anotehr book. THen i picked up php and mySQL from books and w3schools.com