xisto Community
sunkist

How Did You Learn To Make Web Pages?

I was just curious how you all learned to make web pages. Did you learn in school or just kind of pick it up? Did you take a class? Did you buy a book? Did you just figure it out some other way?I learned on notepad and html. Just from reading on the web. And doing my own coding was very tedious.

I'm like you. I found out about HTML and web design through neopets because they had this little mini-forum where members could make their own threads and dress it up with HTML anyway they wish. Well, it was actually CSS, but I learned basic tags such as <b>, <i>, and <u> through that. Then, I became fascinated, so I looked at different sites' sources, and trying out different effects with notepad. After that, I decided to make a sub-profile thing on AIM. That needed a host, so I used Thirdage. It worked pretty well until my content grew, so I had to make a real site. The design was really basic, but everyone loved it. That site lasted a few years until someone told me that my layout sucked, so I made another one. I just kept changing layouts, and I'm still changing them. My current one is the one you see on my site.

I'm still using notepad to edit my pages. It's fun because I don't have to be one of those "I use dreamweaver" crowds.

I thought of some more that I wanted to say, and I didn't feel like double posting. sunkist, was your question answered about the form mail thing? You never left a reply on your thread. Second, Michael, this thread is not in the wrong place. She is asking all hosted members where they learned HTML. It could go in the HTML forum, but this forum is legitimate as well.

Edit: Edded the last paragraph

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

I got a book out of the library, looked at it for about 20 minutes, memorized a few tags, got bored, and made a website in HTML, although I admit it was a disgrace, I liked the marqee tag a bit too much...The only way to learn is trial and error, I keep making better and better websites as I go on, also a tip for future webmasters, use Cascading Style Sheets (known as CSS), they ROCK. They are very easy to make, and save you hours of time. PS- I also used the http://www.w3schools.com/ whenever in doubt.

Hi Again:I forgot to mention I also bought a book or two. But I only use them as a last resort. You know..."when all else fails, read the instructions".And yes thanks, snlildude, I got forms to work ( I just posted a reply to that thread too).Sunkist

I'm more or less like you. I learn backbone html on the web. Pagetutor dot com is the source of my knowing html and its behaviour. I practised alot and it was fun to know the coding one by one. At pagetutor dot com my tutor name is Joe. Joe is the name given to one cartoon in that site. It was fun to be taught by Joe there. The best part was that I was able to experiment and tested as pleased since I learned from the web, many times I just copied and paste and re-write for faster results. I think it will be faster to learn online than to learn through books and to start writing the code in computer. Besides, without enough practise it just got slip out of one's mind quickly.Once I know and understand the behaviour of html code and its functions I never build webpages using notepad. I just use Dreamweaver and if anything happens I rectify the code.I think Dreamweaver is the best software to build webpages. It is very flexible and easy to use even for beginners.

I originally started learning it on the internet. There was a site that I went to (I can't remember it now) that taught me some basic HTML. After that, I began looking at some of my favorite sites' source code. After that, I got an hTML book and learned most of what I know from it. Now, I continue to learn more HTML code by looking at other people's HTML. I also just messed around with some HTML code in Notepad some and learned a little there.

I had a webtv user page back in the day. It was one of those awful websites with stupid animated gifs strung together and nothing of any importance really being expressed.

Then I finally got access to a computer and read up on html on Webmonkey, which used to be a bustling center of activity, then it died out for a few years, and now it looks like they are active again.

Also, before I knew how to do a lot of things, I used an html editor called CoffeeCup, so I probably picked up a thing or two there, also.

I started learning HTML when I started working for a website. I wasn't employed to do coding or development but I kinda picked it up as I went along. I had several more jobs with internet companies after that and that combined with messing around at home is how I picked it up along with other languages along the way.

I started learning by using Notepad and borrowing a few books from the university's computer science club that taught me the basic tags in a web page. As well, before I left for Japan, I also bought a book on HTML 4.01. Of course, websites are becoming more dynamic what with PHP and MySQL. Guess it's time for me to catch up. :rolleyes:

Like most, I just picked it up on the web, following tutorials and what not, Used to use dreamweaver, but takes too long to load when you quickly need to edit something, sop most of the time I use notepad.

I started learning HTML by noticing that most webpages ended in .htmlI looked it up on a list of file extensions, then found the W3Schools and started following some of their examples. I also just typed HTML Tutorials into Teoma. I stumbled across JavaScript when trying to find out how to create an alert box. I moved onto ASP with the help of my ICT teacher at school, although we are not taught it in class, I was just curious. Then I started a website (that failed) with a forum made with PHP, I looked into that and I am still learning today.I generally guess things when coding a site (yes, bad idea), and if I am stuck I 'turn to the manual' which has never let me down, or to forums.

I started learning html through books like dummies, then I went on to learn php which I'm still a noob at php.net and other places like zend...

I learned basic html back in year 10 at school. I was fascinated by it and decided to turn my assignment into an actual website, and get it hosted. Through doing that, I soon expanded my knowledge of html from looking at free website scripts and stuff. I've also learned a lot of css, and a bit of JavaScript and PHP as well, and I'm still continuing to learn. I think it's cool what all these different languages can do.

ya ... I'm also learning everything from the web .. at first it's just a skill to show off to my friends and now it's part of my life ... Just keep myself updated with everything .. html, css, rss, php, .... You can never learn everything out the on the web ... I think internet is still the best place to learn html of php, sometimes i will find some silly tutorial books in bookstore selling expensive .. and the content sucks .. but u could always find good tutorials on internet :rolleyes: