xisto Community
alicia91

Laptop Computers What is the best laptop computer brand?

The top line Dell laptops tend to be pretty nice due to their lower price for a good quality, though if you spend to buy lower priced laptops, such as the B120, you will not be happy. They are extremely cheap as far as laptops go, but the bottom line is that they will not work for you all in all. -reply by Johnnytwoshoes

Personally, I find there is'nt a perfect brand, or some brand above the rest. It depends on a couple of factors, such as your budget, portability concerns and also performance, durability and quality. I feel that HP and Apple have done their job well, in covering all these aspects with a range of computers that suit users of all kinds, such as an affordable range to a costly high performance range. Cheers.

I think that we have a lot of fanboys and fangirls in here. :) If you're going to bash or praise a brand, tell us why instead of just stating that it sucks or it's awesome.I disagree with the Dell-bashing in here. Dell is a perfectly fine computer choice. Remember, you get what you pay for... and Dells are very cheap. I would recommend Dells to anyone that would only play around with the basics: word processing, Internet surfing, productivity software, etc. If anyone would want to actually game on a Dell, apparently the XPS series are a good buy, but to me they're rather expensive configurations, and I would rather build my own gaming rig. The deal-maker with Dell is their customer service and their warranty service... as cheap as their parts are, you can always just call them up and ask for new parts shipped to you (quickly, mind you), and exchange the bunk crap with your new gear. (Of course, this is after spending 20 minutes to an hour trying to talk to someone with English as a second language... but hey, you're still going to get what you ask for.)I will admit that I am an HP fanboy. Ever since I move from my Dell Inspiron 8600 to my HP Pavilion zd8000, I've loved it. Then I went out and bought an HP tc1100 tablet PC from eBay... but didn't have any software with it. Called up HP and asked for CDs and even said that I got the computer off of eBay... and they sent me a copy of the recovery software plus a Windows XP Tablet PC Edition CD... no questions asked. (Maybe I was lucky or the guy on the other end didn't care... I don't know.) Since then, no problems... and I've owned the Pavilion for over 3 years and the tc1100 is still ticking after a couple of years.I have not used an Apple enough to be able to judge whether it's a good brand or not, and I wonder if there are just enough fans and hype to hide the problems that Apple users have with their products. All I hear is a lot of prideful Apple owners, but I want to snag a MacBook to see if they're as good as they all seem to make it out to be. (It would be hard to stay unbiased though, being a long-time PC geek. :D )Our company uses Toshibas, and so far, my aging laptop is still running. Can't say much about it though... our IT guy has had to replace every hard drive in our laptops because of failures. Whether it's a design issue where there's no heat dissipation for the hard drive or the hard drives themselves, I don't know, so I can't vouch much for Toshiba laptops.The best thing to do is to always build your own computer, but in the case of laptops, it's pretty hard to find parts, in my opinion. (Or maybe I just don't know where to look.)

Just like the xbox and PS3 fanboys/girls at gamefaqs, quick to bash and yet don't give a reason except that there computer don't work. Dell has great systems and you just can't please everyone, I have a Dell XPS and its gaining in years, turns 2 in August :). I been able to push it to the limits to what I had to do with it; schoolwork, graphic design, website design, and installing and uninstalling many different software on it as well. I also dual-booted this machine with ubuntu and I haven't had any problems with set up yet. I have abused this computer to its breaking point, both physically and mentally (the hardware). I would say I have a another couple years on this computer, but already I am looking at getting a new computer, not now but in the near future. I paid my money's worth which I was stupid in paying when I set this up, but it was well worth that price tag, Of course with all the Dell bashing I hear about all comes from tech support; to be quite honest it is not the tech support it is the user itself because you don't know your machine and not know what it needs. Then it is hard to for the tech support to help you and trust me if your a computer genius don't act so arrogant to the tech support and talk down to them because you do not know the stresses of Help Desk support and doing this non-stop. Yeah it sucks when the person is from another country and you can barely understand them, but that is why they have chat rooms. That has been my saving grace for getting support on my computer as I don't have to press all those numbers and blah blah blah.Of course, if yo uwant ot save yourself a headache then build your computer then that way you can only blame yourself for a crappy computer and no one else.

You could get a Mac and have the best of both worlds by running programs like Bootcamp or Parallells. I'm currently on a MacBook Pro with a 17" screen and can switch back and forth between Windows and Mac. I like the Mac side for hassle and virus free downloads, and the Windows side for running programs not yet available for Mac. I find the Mac to be a superior machine overall. If I had to use a PC laptop I'd go with Dell, even though Lenovo has a higher rating (and higher price tag). I don't like the aesthetics of the Stinkpad. The keyboard is terribly clunky and that ridiculous little ball in the middle of the board is more a nuisance than anything. I used one for an entire day before my wrists tired of the un-ergonomic trackpad and chunky keyboard. So no, it's either Mac or Dell.

Fujitsu!

Laptop Computers

My friend told me Fujitsu laptops are really good and popular in Hong Kong, I asked a IT techy and he told me that the Fujitsu laptops are made in Germany, which should be great quality. I have a Toshiba and its been great, I've dropped it once and it still works. The worst thing about my Toshiba laptop is battery life. It sucks, my brother's friggen 4 year old Acer travelmate battery life beats my 2006 Toshiba. Sony VAIO's have good battery life I hear. You should also get the new Centrino 2 processor, the T9400 one...

-reply by Eric

It's not a big difference in terms of quality of laptops , but i would prefer an Acer because of its design. It depends on what you need your laptop for . If you're using it mostly at home as a desktop pc replacement then you should buy a powerful laptop , but if you're like most people who buy a laptop , you buy it for its mobility , for being able to browse the web away from home etc . In this case you need a good battery .

Dell or Sony all the way!

Laptop Computers

If your going to get a Dell I recommend the Dell Inspiron 1525 for small budgets, and if you have a big budget then go all the way to the Dell XPS M1530, just skip the Studio 15, and 17 if you have the cash (the more expensive the computer, the faster and better the hardware, and the more years you are going to be able to use it without going and buying some program that the computer cant even run cause its too slow, or doesnt have enough memory)

ROFL

And, any Sony VAIO Laptop is awesome, I spent 2 days (almost full days) testing all the laptops in Best Buy and I came to the conclusion that All Sony VAIO Laptops are great (even the cheapest ones you can get) and All Dell ones are sometimes even greater, but Sony can come around for a little cheaper (With Dell you are paying for their 'seal' which is a token that you will have great service, quality, and personalization to your needs) That being said, Dell basically charges you about 200 dollars more for great service, quality, and of course your choice of colour or pattern! (I did customize a Dell Inspiron 1525 to the same hardwares as a Sony VAIO that I found in Best Buy, and it turned out that the Dell was 200 dollars more...(QUALITY, SERVICE, PERSONALIZATION)

If your willing to spend that much for that, then go with Dell, but if not the Sony is really nice and really reliable Laptop

-reply by Josh

All I have to say is DON'T GET A TOSHIBA!! Let me take you through my year and 3 months relationship with mine: -6 months: system board failure. Thankfully it was under warranty, otherwise I would have been better off just getting a new one based on the cost to get it fixed. It took over a month for Toshiba to ship a new one to the computer repair shop. -One year: power cord failure. My computer was literally 3 days out of warranty. It cost me over $100 for a new cord. -One year and one week: power cord snaps. My brand new Toshiba replacement cord began to break in half, revealing the wires inside. Thankfully, the place that I got it from gave me a new one free of charge. -One year and 2 months: power cord snaps. My replacement of a replacement power cord began to do the same thing of pulling away from the wires inside. Eventually, one of the exposed wires was severed, and I had to pay $80 for a generic replacement.-One year, 2 months, and 2 weeks: power cord jack failure. My replacement of a replacement of a replacement power cord is working beautifully. Then one day, my display begins to flicker. I jiggle the power cord, and it goes back on. This goes on for about a week, and eventually it just stops charging. I take my baby to the computer repair shop again. They say that if they have to replace the jack, it'll be $35-$40 for a new one. And if they just have to solder the old one back together, it'll be a flat fee of $140 for them to get in my computer. So currently, I'm typing this on my mom's dinosaur desktop, awaiting a call from the computer repair shop, telling me that my sick lil baby is all better, at least for the time being. I give it a month until it breaks again. I'm currently attempting to save up for a Macbook, but it's difficult when I'm blowing all of my money on this piece of sh Toshiba! *And don't think it was a cheap model or anything like that. It was one of the mid-range ones, brand new when I bought it. -reply by Anti-Toshiba

If laptop, several things we need to consider1. The battery life (some brand has short battery life period)2. The LCD type3. The keyboard model (sinking one or not, which relates to replaceable)4. The features like Wifi (absolutely needed), bluetooth (sometimes needed), how many USB ports, is DVD ROM or DVD writer or CD? 5. Then what kind of software you will install? If you want game and use software like 3D studio max/Maya, then you absolutely need a laptop with good graphic card, and also the graphic memory must be dedicated while if not then look for shared graphic memory If you are software developer, try to use good processor with such as intel core 2 duo (currently latest technology) And check the max memory supported, and add memory if you think you need

What laptop brand should I buy?

Laptop Computers

Hi all...

I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron 510m...For 3 yrs already. It's getting reallllyyy slow now and will sometimes hang or wouldn't shut down. End of this year, I'll be moving to Japan, and was wondering what kind of laptop I shud get. I'm not a gaming sort of person, but I download lots of music and movies. I basically use the laptop for surfing the net, online streaming, downloading, and also the microsoft office.

Among these brands, which would be more suitable for me?

- Toshiba, Sony Vaio, Apple Macbook, Dell

-reply by Confused

I am having a HP laptop since last 6 months now and its really good and a tested piece. You may try for it too. Other ones are accer. IBM etc. But listen to every one and decide it on your own. Congratulations for your new laptop in advance.?

I have a three year old HP Omnibook XT6200 which is still in perfect shape, and I would recommend HP for all kinds of business or school work.
I have no experience with Dell laptops, so I cannot comment on them.

My own computer is a German Gericom 9600, which got modded and painted and tortured and is still in good shape. However I can say that obviously Gericom's service is nowhere near as good as the big boys'. Its battery died (pretty quickly for that matter) and I cannot easily replace it. On the other hand, it outperforms most laptops out there today due to its fast CPU and GPU, so you get speed by sacrificing service.

Toshiba is a very experienced company for laptops, none of my friends with Toshiba's have had problems and they have great warranty and service options. Their Tecra and Qosmio lines (may differ due to location) are great.

Apart from brand, I would consider two important things. 1. size, this includes the weight and the monitor size. 14inch and a 2.5kg laptop is great for portability, but a 15.4inch 3.5kg laptop usually has very good multimedia capabilities. The second is battery life, you'll usually want more of this, but if you want a fast processor it goes down so it is up to you to balance the two.

As for the CPUs, Dothan codename CPUs for laptops are old now, look for the latest Sonoma codename (these are codenames, they are all branded as Pentium-M) CPUs which consume less power and have a lot of cache memory on them which makes them really fast.

I have to agree with all the above. HP computers and laptops are the best. I have own a sony Laptop and within 1 year it was trashed. Battery always Died too fast, the internal mouse never really worked very well. So I would have to say HP is the best by far. Then again if you went by price? I would have to say Dell then Acer.