xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
alexia

Do You Prefer Light Or Dark Layout?

I'd prefer Light Layout with dark text and components for Textual webpages that contain both text and images but where images do not outnumber the text.I'd prefer Dark layout for galleries where there are more images than text.

i prefer the dark layouts over the light ones, i like the dark ones because i like the dark, i think it is cool to have a black and blue skin..kind of like this one http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ i like it hehe :-D i also like the link colors that go along with it

Well, it depends on multiple factors. For example, dark layouts are usually more aggresive, obscure, mysterious... so they?re probably going to attract the people more at first sight. But with repeated visits that perception will lost and all that those visitors will appreciate is that the site is unaccesible and they?ll find difficulty in reading it. So dark layouts are good when you want to impact, for example a website about rock music or about noir films (you?re not gonna make it light yellow :huh:). Specially for forums, light designs are more welcoming, and people (talking in general) will find it easier to read and post. And of course if you are making a corporate website, you need to offer a sensation of clearness and transparency.And it often happens that age determines these preferences. Usually younger people tend to like darker things, black, deep red, purple, etc. And when you grow up you begin to appreciate usefulness, clarity, although the aspect isn?t so impressive.

I used to have a dark layout, but like the previous person said, it gets boring, and everything kinda gets hard to read over time. Dark layout are sometimes considered cliche because all the new geocities/newbie sites use them. If you take a look at professional sites like google or yahoo, they all use light layouts.

I always prefer clean-light layout. If possible my site should become very light like Yahoo and Google, never like msn or Eonline and others. I prefer light color layout, especially white background. When I observe most of the popular websites have clean-cut light background, I also think this popularity might be due to the preference of the majority of the net users around the globe. And white background with black fonts are the easiest to read and most comfortable with eyes as well.

for me i dont really care if its a light color or dark color layout....just as long as the layout looks really good then its fine with me...but i usually use the dark layouts because theyre usually the ones that just look good to me...but sometimes i do feel like changing my layout to something light because i do get tired of seeing it being dark and i guess depending on my mood will determine whether i want a light or dark layout

i prefer light backgrounds because that way i can relate to it because i am calm and cool and it is also easily to read the information on the pages and you also have a bigger range of colours whereas on pages with dark colours you have to be careful about which colours you choose and how you represent them so your audiene dont get fed up.. i also like it when there is a constrast with the colours on the page like a dark blue background with a light blue table layout .. it sometimes looks nice but there are times when there is too much of a contrast it looks funny

For me it really depends on what I'm looking at. If it's a games site I like a darker layout it tends to fit right, for business it's got to be a white/light colour. Ultimately, as others have stated, it shouldn't matter if the layout is flowing and looks nice.