xisto Community
Etherion

Have You Ever Felt Like Creating A Game ... And if you have...

I too am very eager to develop a game but with all the programming involved in it, it just freaks me out. I just know the basic of programming and am right now trying to go advanced. So I think I will have to subdue my thoughts until I become an advanced programmer. By the way which is the best programming language to learn for game programming is it C/C++ ??

Hmm I always had a dream in creating a game within PHP/Mysql as well, well one similar to Neopets actually. Because at the time it just seemed like a good idea, like one day I just woke up and felt like creating such a game, well of course not for neopets but probably something of my own imagination, which I rather not place down due to >3> I probably will go ahead with it. I have been learning to use PHP right now, I'm still a beginner but all beginners become intermediates some day well thats how I look at it and then I will be able to create this game someday. Just for the record it will be a leveling game though with special abilities, classes etc. I have it planned its just the matter of coding and applying it to a server. So more learning for me I suppose.Well I have the choice to do computer graphics (which deals with 3d and the use of Java to create) or computer security... well I probably do computer security as I really want to make a virus and a antivirus to that virus haha xD.

Heya... yeah well... i mean, doesn't every primary school student always wanted to make a game on their own? That's like me when I was young. I learnt HTML and all that just for it, but of course, I didn't know how to code a game at all... :o I didn't even know you had to made graphics. I guess I was stupid then. But of course, there is always to urge to make a game, huh?I might do that when I get better at web mastering... :) Now I know why many webmasters ditch their site for long periods of times. THey usually have more than one site and it's a very hard work trying to get them going!!!

A good games programming languageHave You Ever Felt Like Creating A Game ...

There is much talk here about which programming language is best suited for games programming,and yes, C++is very powerful and versatile, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned or considered BlitzMax or Blitx3d, both dedicated towards games creation,with a large forum community, plus BlitzMax has object orientated capabilities and GUI extensions.

Both of these are very powerful and fast languages.

-reply by Dylan Dexter

You hit a sensitive spot with that question. Yes i did !!! Ever since i started programming. And i actually made a 3D action game for my licence project. It was a couple of months work in studying and designing and programming but it was worth it. I think everyone should make a small game in their programming life, cause well... it's just pure fun. My biggest challenge making the game was finding 3d animated characters cause i don't have a clue about 3d studio Max or maya, but a friend helped me out on that one. I did the texturing myself with photoshop. Oh... righty... i used C# and TrueVision3D engine for the game which made things a lot easier. But there's a lot of other free engines out there for all programming languages. After i was done with that i tried to start making 2D Java games cause i can handle the 2d graphics myself (it's all just sprites, not that hard) and i found a couple of Java engines out of i chose Slick2D cause it seemed pretty nice and had good tutorials. Buuut... i got a job soon after and i left my game making days behind me... for now... Anyway... making a game using an engine isn't that hard actually. You should only remember to start small and build your way up ! :)

Yes I have and I have actually done it.Java of course since it's easy to learn, understand, and use. Made my own library to be exact.

That feeling of wanting to make a game was the spark of my motivation to start learning C++ a few months ago. I researched a ton of game engines and Panda3D caught my eye. When I become proficient in writing C++, I might integrate Panda3D in my code along with some Cinema4D (CAD program) models I have created to make a single level game. I had my eyes set on that goal. :)It's too bad that I found out later that it takes lots of skill and dedication to even create the foundation of the game. That is why I put in a lot more time into reading my C++ book.

That feeling of wanting to make a game was the spark of my motivation to start learning C++ a few months ago. I researched a ton of game engines and Panda3D caught my eye. When I become proficient in writing C++, I might integrate Panda3D in my code along with some Cinema4D (CAD program) models I have created to make a single level game. I had my eyes set on that goal. :)
It's too bad that I found out later that it takes lots of skill and dedication to even create the foundation of the game. That is why I put in a lot more time into reading my C++ book.

I got into the interest a long time ago but never really followed it that far. As of recently I've been working on frameworking an RPG (it's text-based but it really works the same way as a 3d one -- only without graphics). For example, it has leveling, drops from monsters, evasion/blocking/different attacks, etc. built in.

I'd suggest if you want to do a game you start with something like that (or a text-based framework of whatever it is you want to make). The knowledge gained throughout that will assist greatly when you decide to go deeper.

I have felt to create a game a lot of times. I want to create a game like GTA but some differences and like to create a game when I am a hired assassin... maybe this is an original idea I want a game when the people come to me and contract me to kill another people. This would be fun because this is my fantasy but of course I can?t do this in the real life.Maybe in some GTA future games we will can see this type of history.I can?t think how can be a game about my life. Maybe a movie is better because a game is impossible because all of you maybe will be bored seing me in the game behind the computer all the day. :lol: :lol: :lol: But of course if someone want to invest money in my game welcome.This is all my idea about a game so take care of you.

I have created the text-based strategy game Hyperiums.com 10 years ago.

10 years later, it's still alive and kicking, but the MMOG place is now overcrowded. Loads of games produced with millions of dollars fail to emerge and their reach curve on Alexa.com remains flat (or at least below Hyperiums' one). If you feel like creating your own game now, you better think about this before.

Indeed, I have thought about making a game. I've always thought about making games. I also happen to write interactive fiction, and I've even uploaded one to the internet (although now I can't find it at this moment since my other webhost is "removing a server cluster XYZ").Recently, using a software called "GBP" or "Game Book Player", using editor mode running it on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Netbook on my other netbook (the Asus one), run under Wine, I created a text-style game called "No Such Business". I made this game because I like film noir and decided to make a noir interactive fiction about con artists, forensic accountants, unscrupulous attorneys, and you, the player, get to be scrunched in the middle of it all, in a massive sandwich bear hug type whodunit plot.Of course, it had its flaws, but I liked my creation after all.That may have been why no one whom played it clicked my ad links, thus I did not make anything off it, but, it's cool. I made a game and I got it published, and now I am having a good time....A tip for those of you whom want to play a game:Figure out your plot, be able to write a one-line or one-sentence synopsis, and fully develop your characters before you ever begin developing game rules and desgining your GUI. Creating games is like writing a novel, especially for whodunits and mystery/catch-the-spy/noir games. You need to know what you want before you get it. What you want is what you get.You also have to know what kind of people you want playing your game. Good luck with it all!Blessed be.

I really would like to create a game especially RPGs. I want to be in touch with my creativity and create a world from my imagination. I've already started by studying directX and learning how to create 3D models. Maybe I'll also start studying some popular game engines such as ogre3D. Creating a game is really a long journey ahead. You have to create a game design and then develop the game through your plan and create demos after demos until you finally get the output that you really want. Then you have to test and debug see if there's something wrong with the game. Making a game is a really really long process.