xisto Community
Etherion

Have You Ever Felt Like Creating A Game ... And if you have...

There are many free and open source game makers out there for those who are obliged to make games, even if they are 2D game makers. I would start off with something like Game Maker, which is a solid game maker. Anyways, I understand that making 3D games is a very difficult and tedious task. It takes months, even years, to make games like that, and even with a group of people or a team. How-ever, anything IS possible if you set your mind to it. People in the past have said that it was impossible for humans to fly, but lo and behold, using airplanes, we canfly. So take that into consideration. Anyways, before delving into 3D game design, it's required that you get acquainted with a programming language, and most likely, more than one language.

Yeah i like to make rpg games mostly, and i use either rpg maker 2003 or gamemaker. I also just got multimedia fusion and i am experimenting with that.

hmm...i tried c++ once or twice...never really got into it, on the other hand gamemaker is pretty cool...atm im making just a digimon ...using delphi, you can make heaps of cheapo games with delphi, like a birds eye view of cs...hehehe :D

I have thought of this a long time ago, and I'm just so lucky tha I am an Architecture student and have plenty of friends who could actually draw and design very well. The could creat aprofessional-looking anime and manga that I could use for making an RPG game. but for now, I have to learn the basics of Game-programming.

Its expensive, time consuming and not worthy! Whats the point to spend days on the creation of a game, when you could just buy one of the thousand games that exist today? :)

Who knows, you might get rich by selling those games. you just have to be more creative and original on the concept.

Hi all,let me say that most of you don't have any idea how to make games!I started reading this thread and...I stopped after reading the first page...It is NOT true that you can't make real games in C++ and it is NOT true that you can only make cheap games with C++!!!All of games made today are written in C++ (some use a combination of assembly) with graphical libraries such as DirectX, OpenGL, Allegro...I cannot imagine a Half-Life2 game written in Visual Basic or Delphi because it would need at least 3GH box with 1GB RAM and super fast 256Mb DDR Radeon to run smoothly (and would be restricted to Windows platform).That's why people use C++.Because it's fast, portable and has plenty of other features.Want to make 'real' games?Don't use Visual Basic or DelphiDon't use RPG makers or such programsLearn C/C++Learn OpenGLLearn DirectXRead alotAsk questionsTry it yourselfStart now!Don't set high goals.You won't be able to make UT2010, GTA5...start with little projects.Make pong, tetris, move on to bigger projects, make 2d games then learn 3d programming...People want to make games.The know little or nothing of computer programming.They are so excited about this that they ofter forget about the most important thing.PATIENCE.They download some pre-made 3D engines, games templates and start 'making' games.With no programming skills they realize that they can't do anything really so they quit.They are angry, mad and sad because all they ever wanted was to make a game and they failed.They feel loozers.They think they will never be able to make a real game so they quit for good.You have to be PATIENT.Don't expect to learn programming over night.People learn all their lives.Be humble.Start with little things.Make tetris clone.Be proud.This makes me sad, because alot of people have potencial to become good game designers but they often quit before they even start.I'm not proffesional game developer but I will be happy to help anyone who wants to get into the bussiness.Ask questions, I'm sure there are people here who know alot about this.I don't know all answers, but I will try to reply.Happy coding!Daniel Vukadinovic

CooL! I guess a lot of members will be interested to join Daniel ... I was checking out the hosted sites of my members and came to realise that a many of those sites deal with games and stuff. few were personal sites and few sites were quite professional with cool design and coding. Lot of talent in the foru,s.. Share it guys and bring out the best in you.Wishes .. OpaQue.

If you want to make a prof. looking game without having to code everything in C++ or learn use the slow/crappy gamemaker you should consider modding stuff. I made some (half-finished) mods in neverwinternights and it looked pretty good & you could do lots of stuff with it. I stopped with my mods there cause the engine got old but i got pretty good fanmail on some demo-version i released. I am now considering modding half-life 2 into something, i heard there were pretty good tools for that.