xisto Community
kvarnerexpress

Pc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

Instant ShutdownPc Shuts Down After A Few SecondsI am having the same problem Ive had my PC for 2 years with no problems but recently when playing a game it instantly shuts down.I would like to note that the pc works fine for as many hours as desired if I don't run a game.I built the pc myself a while ago its a AMD Phenom X4 9950BE and 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 RAM and ATi Radeon 4870 GPU with ORYXX Hercules 750w PSU.Even on the most intense games like eg crysis the cpu runs at about 50% give or take and at 45-55 degrees so I'm ruling that out.The graphics card Ive run in a different machine and works fine.So the psu after running this setup has oodles of power left over so don't think its that because Ive had a 500w psu fail on this setup once before and after the comp shut down roughly 5 times it wouldn't turn on anymore so I think the 750w psu is functioning properly but no way of truly telling without costing money.Next the motherboard (ECS 7050M-M) it was the only cheap part and thought the most likely suspect and again no way of knowing or testing without cost but lastly is the ram so I decide to perform a ram test which can be done on vista and windows 7 by pressing F8 in the BIOS and selecting repair computer and follow the on screen instructions and click memory diagnostics tool. Whilst running this tool my PC shut down the diagnostics didn't finish and the same happens every time I run the memory tool it never finishes the test Ive found the culprit I am now trying to RMA my ram with Corsair which has a lifetime warranty but I don't have any receipt or packaging and the ram is ?90 GBP to replace so am disappointed.I have had these symptoms twice now and noticed in a response on this page the fellow said this is unheard of on the Internet so thought I should share my story.-reply by Morph

I'm also having the same prob. And I guess this is because of the cpu ! it would be the security reason why it turns off after a couple of secondsĀ  tunring it on !The last person who suggested the paste solution is right I guess! I'm going to try it and I hope it ll work for sure! I remember now my faculty who was teaching me the hardware course telling these stuffs!

same issuesPc Shuts Down After A Few SecondsThis also happend to me I had a gigabyte mother board. I had turned it off to add a new monitor. Then it would not power back on. I had the local tech place look at power supply. It came on. Then I called Gigabyte, and complained to them. They sent me 2 mother boards> The same thing they would not power on. I then had same pc tech look at the usb ports on front of case. They were fried. I then complained to gigabyte one last time>They sent out a new board. I also bought another case. Put all back in and doing same thing. The processor is new. And fan new, and everything works. I just don't know whats going on. Help-reply by tattoman

Rep;y Pc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

I had the same problem as you.. My Pc shutdown as it pass the Bios.. 5 seconds before it shutdown after opening..,, how can I fix.. It up.. Help Lolzzz

-reply by fRoxEnTRIX

Ā 

I didn't read this whole post, but I had this issue and resolved it when I noticed my CPU Heatsync and Fan were not seated properly. My model has 4 pins that snap into the motherboard, and they became loose. After snapping these back into place the problem was corrected. Hope this helps!

Most probably its the cpu heat that it restarting your computer....When a cpu heats up to a point where it might get damaged.... Say arnd 80c or above..... The motherboard if really old will let your chip fry as you go about your work....But your motherboard is protecting your cpu by restarting.... This helps with the heat as it reduces and increases as the computer passes Post.......Neways either get a new heat sink and a fan or move your computer into a cooler room.....I have worked with Amd and their and Athlon and Amd 64 Athlons did heat up a lot....

YES! two tones like a Paris police car? I had that this week. Friend brought over his computer because the processor fan went out. He was using a house fan with the side cover off to keep it cool, but it kept shutting down.After reinstalling windows, the machine gave me an error code that it wanted to restart because "machine was not shut down correctly due to overheating". But, only once, on the second reboot after the clean install. Why? I have no idea, but I'm banking on that was the reason his comp wasn't working right.I have replaced the cooling fan and reinstalled windows and it runs good now ( win xp pro on an E-machine).What happened was it gave me the two tones when I rebooted the machine, and it would shut down after being turned on for less than 5 seconds.Hope this helps.Bob

actually the problem mentioned in the previous post (error of overheating after a fresh install) is completely correct. there is something related to bios that lets the operating system to know why it has shut down and even if you install a fresh version of windows that system will let windows to know that before reinstalling os there was an overheating problem. there is many other reasons which can lead to a system restart and one of them is cards on pci bus with faulty interrupts (like dial up modems or capture cards). if these cards get faulty they will interrupt system regular work and they can restart your pc and if the brand were not popular probably the producer forgets to set some error messages for the card in these situations meaning that your pc will shut down without any error or notice. currently one of my old pcs got such a problem and the issue is from a bad made modem without any brand and intel chip which forces system to shut down after 1 minute or so and if i remove it everything works perfectly.

have you tried reformatting ya system before doing anything?? before trying ya pieces to other setups, its just prevention, if it is a virus in case....tips if you cant hardly configure what ya system problem is.....:this is what i do if these cases came out:(this is just basics but useful)*first, if i got any problem but can still stay on my desktop, i do system restore,*in other case reformat, *if you have another pc, try to clone ya hard drive using a good software,... i use acronis, coz it has useful tools that can be use in some cases like this... *if you cant reformat ya pc, got errors during boot up and cant get in to desktop... and if you think it is a virus you can use acronis drive cleanser, using another pc and clean up the infected drives..... im not really pointing with this post issue, just giving tips btw.. hehehe. LOL, just try your luck....^^

Hi I am a complete novice so please be understanding with me. I have had a problem with my PC for a couple of months now, which is a little similar to the power up problem I am seeing here. I haven't added any new hardware recently so I can rule that out. I did install some new Ram, but the problem was happening before that. This is the problem:I start the PC up and it powers up for a few seconds, I hear two da-da noises, the fans come on , there's no beeps and the computer restarts. This whole process takes about 5 seconds. I have tried taking out all of the ram and reinserting it one by one and this doesn't fix the problem. I tried installing a new power supply, which is 500w and this doesn't fix the problem. If I leave the PC on it just tries to powerup and shuts down as previously described over and over again. I do not have a PCI Adapter the other person who seems to have a very similar problem. What else can I try? Please help and thanks in advance :)

PC shuts down after a few seconds
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the situation, about 2 weeks ago one of my computers stopped in the middle of a game and shut down. That was it. I restarted the computer and it powered up and went into the normal startup sequence, it did hit the BIOS screen, then powered down unexpectedly. After that it could be turned on, but then immediately shut down, staying on no longer than about 4 seconds. The system worked flawlessly for about 2 years before this problem.

System Specs: AMD 2000 on an ECS K7S5A mb with appropriate RAM and a 300 W psu.

I searched the net, found out it could/most likely was, a power supply problem. I bought a new power supply (a 320 psu), swapped it out and nothing changed. I have a couple other computers with similar configurations so I swapped out components looking for the 'defective' part. The CPU/RAM were easy enough, but did nothing, finally I tried a new motherboard (ASUS A7N8X-X), again nothing. I eventually swapped everything out into a new case, using the same RAM/CPU/Video card. (Please note: I have not had the hard drive plugged in since early in this debugging period, as I cannot get to the BIOS, I did not figure having the HD plugged in would help in any way.)

I still figured the RAM/CPU must be bad so I put in spares, and I put in an old PCI video card just for good measure too. It still powered down before hitting the BIOS. What the heck? There was not one original piece of hardware in the box and I had the same problem. Then I made a terrible mistake. I took the original RAM/CPU and plugged them into a machine I knew to be working (on an ASUS A7N8X board). Guess what? Now that computer exibits the same behaviour, it simply will not boot up. It shuts down after a mere 2-3 seconds. The fans start, the leds go on, then it shuts off.

I have tried clearing the CMOS on both systems to no avail.

I am getting paranoid about some sort of a RAM virus and that I inadvertently infected a 'good' computer with it by mistake.

Does any of this sound remotely like something anyone else has ever heard of?

It's power related not a virus. With virus you would see error boxes or other abnormalities on the screen before shut down. Now to fix this problem check the Power Supply Unit for loose connections and make sure it's fan is dust free because if it's dirty it could overheat which will cause shut downs after a few minutes. Also change the power supply cable, believe or not those cables do go bad. Finally if the problem persists check/change surge protector, check/change wall outlet. One last thing make sure the fan on the processor works and there's thermal paste between the cooler and processor. Go thru each of these items and your computer should stop shutting down.

when me and my dads compaq presario intel inside pentium 4 windows xp does that i just go crazy! when we try to turn it back on

it boots up than shuts off how crazy is that it boots to the bios and does not work so my dad suggested its the motherboard :wub: :excl: