xisto Community
kvarnerexpress

Pc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

Computer shuts down about 10 sec after turned on however,if I unplug the atx12v cable the computer stay on does this mean the motherboard is at fault?

computer powers on and off for a few secondsPc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

I was havign the same problem, I tried a new Power Supply and that made no difference so I ruled that out.

I then took the RAM and GFx card out and tried it and it turned on fine. Plugged the RAM back in and restarted it and it turned on fine.

It was the GFx card, took it out and gave it a clean and checked the PCI slot and gave it a hoover, it seems to be workgin fine now.

-reply by Mike

pc boots up then shuts downPc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

My computer keeps shutting off also. I did a little bit of troubleshooting. I disconnected a few things.

First, I read up, on forums like this. I tried my memory first. I found that removing one of the memory sticks caused the shut-downs to quit.

I took out my CD burner and found that it had no jumper on it for master, slave, etc., and when I tried various settings, it would shut my computer right down, except for when I left it with no jumper.

Guess that means that somehow, my CD burner is bad.

Other thoughts???

shuts down after a few seconds, but the boot duration increases until it becomes stablePc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

I have this problem to..

the only difference is that the boot duration increases untilit reaches the window user interface part. It takes several minutesbefore the pc becomes stable. It's like you have to warm it up for itto work.

I suspect its the AMD athlon because I had this problem beforeand I had to change motherboard after figuring out that there are someburns in the processor socket. But I'm not sure. I can hear the fansslowing down before it shuts down completely. I'm not an expert so Ihope somebody can help.. ^^

I hope somebody can help us with the problem.

-reply by balong

One possible fix for powerPc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

Power in instead of power out where a fan should go.  There's a 4-pin connector that feeds out of the power supply.  It's tempting to plug this into the motherboard, but that's not what that's for.  Some old CPU fans were made with 4-pin connectors.  So, just plug in the 3-pin power feed for the fan.  DO NOT plug in the 3-pin.  This always fixes this problem.  Late

-reply by Jeremy Botto

Computer starts then shuts down after a few secondsPc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

Hi

My friends pc had same problem, starts up then shuts down after a few seconds.

I inserted my RAM into his machine thinking it needed more memory to start, but the problem persisted. I then put my RAM back into my pc and now my pc has same problem as his.

When I switch on it begins to start up then shuts off within a few seconds. Is it possibly a virus that has jumped machines in the RAM and what do I do to fix it???

Please if anyone can help????

-reply by Jason

PC Shutting downPc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

I got a trojan yesterday. It seems it wont go away withSpyware Doctor & Avast! so I decided to reinstall my OS. Windows XPSP3. The trojan was really bad. It made my PC not usable.

Then my PC started to shut down. It seem odd because it never did this before.

Sometimes it stays up for a long time. I even played a gamewith it in this condition. Sometimes it doesnt even pass boot screen.Most recently it never does.

I made a OS CD on another PC and put it in the DVD on mine.Boot up. Shut down. Same thing over 3 attempts. I have umplugedeverything from my PC and only left main HDD, 1 DVD-ROM. No extra fans.No speakers plugged in. Nothing more then the esencials (?).

I have noticed that my PC wont boot with any CDs inside. If Istart my machine with any CDs inside it will automaticaly shut down. Iam now trying to reset BIOS.

Without any CD's in the DVDROM I can boot up np. But I deletedmy OS from the HDD. In the middle of the install of the new OS it shutdown. I have no OS on the HDD and it wont boot with the CD inside so Icannot install a new one.

I'm kinda running out of ideas.

--mesa

Sounds buggy?Pc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

Build:CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600MOBO: ASUS NVIDIA nForce 570 SLIGFX: eVGA 512 GeForce 7950GT KORAM: OCZ Special Ops PC2-5400 2GB (2x1GB)HD: WD VelociRaptor 150GB (Raptors eat people)PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TX

Okay, I notice that the first round of replies in this thread are all from 2005.

The second round has all come in the last two months (april to june 2009).

My (self-built) machine had this problem develop last week as well. Gets to the BIOS, then shuts down. Can't get into safe mode, or F8 into setup.

One guy suggested that it was the Blaster worm. Is there aPossibility that the worm is back? As mentioned above, there should beNo way for a virus to travel over RAM.

I already purchased a new Power Supply and a new HD (Raptors eat people). I'd hate to go out replacing everything else now.

-Misopogon

3 reasons,No is not a virus, its got to be processor, ram or harddrive but in this case it does not even boot up to your windows login screen so its ether your motherbord or your processor, or ram, check replace the ram with other ones they pretty cheap, also if that is not the problem i recomend you buying a new motherbord and a processor to save you the troubbles and connect them if that is not the problem remember you can still return the items. But most likely the problem will be the motherbord and processor also, does your computer happen to beep before restarting or after turning off?

Hi!Your post isn't really clear about what actually happened - did your computer work after all that remained from the original was the case? It seems that way since you've mentioned that the "terrible mistake" was putting in your old CPU.Your CPU might have an issue so put the new one in again, reset the CMOS and try again. There's no such thing as a RAM virus because once you turn off the power, all the data goes *poof*! If the machines ever took over and SkyNet was going to be built, all you've got to do is shut down the power and it's the fall of the machines. :-)Regards,Nitin Reddy

Got itPc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

Okay, it wasn't a bug, afterall, but my heatsink.

Apparently, this is common with the heatsink that comes with Core 2 Duo CPU. I still recommend this processor -- like it better than the quad on my brother's box. But the heatsink that comes with it is not going to do the job.

After a little box surgury, I fit a brand new cooling unit in there and the computer runs perfectly.

Thanks for all of your help.

automatic reboot at post by overclockingPc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

I have read all your comments and suggestions, for I have automatic reboot at post by overclocking every time I start or restart the pc, The pc shutdown and automaticly starts after   2, 3 seconds (no overclocking no problem).

CPU: Q6600 GoMOBO: Asrorock P45DE 2000 MhzGFX: Nvidia Geforce 9600 GTRAM: OCZ PC2-8500 4GB (2x2GB)PSU: OCZ 600w extreme

It does not make any diffrence by less or more overclocking, It will shutdown and restart only once(one time only),after that everthing work perfect.

I have this problem if I change any some of the options in the Bios too (Bios is flashed to latest)

I will be appreciate any suggestion.

-reply by abikaKeywords:

New build pc shuts down after turning on for a few secondsPc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

This doesn't necesarily apply to the above posts, but I had a similar problem for a different reason. Check your case power switch. Mine had been glued down so that there was a 'turn off' signal 2 seconds after the 'turn on' signal. You can test this with a multimeter in resitance mode. The power switch motherboard conector should have a resistance of around zero between the two terminals when and only when you are depressing the switch, otherwise it should read infinite or overload. If you have a low resistance when you are not depressing the switch, the switch needs to be checked for poor installation or simply needs to be replaced. This is more of a basic electronics problem and so doesn't automatically occur to people knowledgeable about hardware.

I had the same problem. My PC would shutdown in a few seconds. The problem was with my heatsink. When I pressed it hard enough on the mobo it started working fine again!