xisto Community
kvarnerexpress

Pc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

PC shuts down after brief few second powerup

Replying to Trap FeedBacker

I was googling similar issues. My machine had the same characteristics and could not figure out what was going on. I replace the power supply about 1 yr ago and was thinking of doing the same thing again. I unplugged everything and took the side panels, brought it outside, used a air compressor to remove all the dust, etc.

That took care of the problem. I believe that some lint/fuzz ball was shortcirciuting one of the boards. What an inexpensive fix!

-reply by Gerry

PC shuts down after a few seconds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the situation, about 2 weeks ago one of my computers stopped in the middle of a game and shut down. That was it. I restarted the computer and it powered up and went into the normal startup sequence, it did hit the BIOS screen, then powered down unexpectedly. After that it could be turned on, but then immediately shut down, staying on no longer than about 4 seconds. The system worked flawlessly for about 2 years before this problem.

System Specs: AMD 2000 on an ECS K7S5A mb with appropriate RAM and a 300 W psu.

I searched the net, found out it could/most likely was, a power supply problem. I bought a new power supply (a 320 psu), swapped it out and nothing changed. I have a couple other computers with similar configurations so I swapped out components looking for the 'defective' part. The CPU/RAM were easy enough, but did nothing, finally I tried a new motherboard (ASUS A7N8X-X), again nothing. I eventually swapped everything out into a new case, using the same RAM/CPU/Video card. (Please note: I have not had the hard drive plugged in since early in this debugging period, as I cannot get to the BIOS, I did not figure having the HD plugged in would help in any way.)

I still figured the RAM/CPU must be bad so I put in spares, and I put in an old PCI video card just for good measure too. It still powered down before hitting the BIOS. What the heck? There was not one original piece of hardware in the box and I had the same problem. Then I made a terrible mistake. I took the original RAM/CPU and plugged them into a machine I knew to be working (on an ASUS A7N8X board). Guess what? Now that computer exibits the same behaviour, it simply will not boot up. It shuts down after a mere 2-3 seconds. The fans start, the leds go on, then it shuts off.

I have tried clearing the CMOS on both systems to no avail.

I am getting paranoid about some sort of a RAM virus and that I inadvertently infected a 'good' computer with it by mistake.

Does any of this sound remotely like something anyone else has ever heard of?

I think its a RAM problem. Somehow the affected motherboard must have fried your RAM and when you put it up in your working system, It must have fried the Mobo.

Anyways Now you have a pair of affected RAM and a pair of disfunctional Mobo :D

BuffaloHelp is betting on CPU but I think CPUs have a failsafe resister that gets short/burned before the CPU gets the problem. NEways. You cant be sure of anything.

You can buy a Mobo Tester. Its a PCI card which displays error code according to the problem.

That helps in tracking down the problem.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm having a very similar problem.

My pc shuts down at different times, more frequently now, a few days later, then it did in the beginning.

The first day this occured (sunday), it would shut down after windows started, while loading startup programs or a few minutes later while browsing the web. It would power up then shut back down moments later a few times before I could use it again without problems. It then worked fine for the rest of the evening.

Happened a handfull of times for the next two days or so, but not regularly. I had a busy week, so I decided to wait and see if it worked itself out, and if not, I would look into the problem over the weekend. It worked only once in safe mode, only once from the last working configuration, and most regularly in normal mode.

Last night (thursday) it crashed 3 times with bluescreens, then ran chkdsk. It got about half way through, and the computer shut off. Then it started again, got all the way through chkdsk, and the computer restarted normally. Howevever, despite my network connection being 'connected', there was no internet, and no icon activity. Resetting the router did nothing, and when I tried to repair the connection, it said something about not being able to.

Now it shuts down before windows even loads, either before bios or right before / during the login screen, at completely different times. Every once in a while (after 10-20 tries) I'm be able to get it to the desktop, but it shuts down right after. Sometimes, the lights will go on and the system will start up, but nothing will happen the monitors will stay off and it will sort of 'freeze.' no shut down, but no noticeable activity. Sometimes the mobo screen comes up, then nothing. Just sits there without shutting down.

I should mention that there's no error beeps, and the shutdown is sudden, always at different times. I'm going to try clearing everything of dust, checking all the connections, rotating my ram sticks, and alternating my power source. I tried booting from my windows disk to run a repair / recovery, but unfortunately all I have is an old XP CD without SP2, so it doesn't recognize my raid. Unfortunately, I can't find the slipstream CD I burned with SP2 integrated.

Does anyone have any insight / possible fix?

Update

I opened the computer over the weekend and cleared all the dust (only opened my case once in nearly 2 years), and immediately noticed the small fan on the motherboard (asus a8n deluxe sli) wasn't moving and it was hot to the touch. Seeing via google that this was a common problem with a8n mb's, I called asus and they're shipping me out a new one free of charge.

I now have one panel off of the case and a small fan pointed directly at the mb to try and keep it cool. This seemed to help for the next day or two, as it would only shut down once or twice before I was able to use it, a few instances for over an hour.

However, when I turned it on sunday morning, the fans all turned on (except for the defextive northbridge fan) as well as all of the lights and nothing else happened. The monitors never turned on and it just sat there. The next 20-30 times I tried to turn it on within the next 24 hours, it did the same. Runs, but never actually starts.

Could the northbridge fan be causing this problem?

Had the same problem with the pc shutting down right after power was turned on. I found the problem on this machine was that the power switch had a short in it. So when it was turned on It was almost like holding in the power switch. If I pulled the power switch connector from the board right after the machine is turned on it will stay on. Hope this helps.-reply by iGuest

As most of you, I'm having a very similar problem. Mine consists of my pc shutting down after about exactly 10 minutes it has been on.I've figured this couldn't be a virus, because I tried simply pressing delete and entering my BIOS setup, and staying there for 10 minutes. It shut down.I've figured this could hardly be a virus, because I did not even boot windows in the previous test.I've figured this COULD be RAM but it shows no obvious sign of it, although I'll take care of buying or borrowing a new stick to try it.What caught my attention here is the short-circuit possibility. I'll have to try with a new powerbar, but other than that how would that be possible?-reply by Recon

Turns off

Replying to bluedragon

Just started happening to my PC just now, I tried putting a hard drive into the case, but didnt have the correct wires to connect it properly (Sata cables) so I just left it in the case unplugged. I started the system up and after the log on Screen, it shut down, it didnt re-start, it just shut down. Didnt happen before this so, I must of shorted one of the components? I'm pretty sure I didnt touch any of the components on the Mobo, or anything else. Will this be a simple fix for PC world or w.E?

Thanks.

-question by Sigh

Turns off

Replying to bluedragon

Just started happening to my PC just now, I tried putting a hard drive into the case, but didnt have the correct wires to connect it properly (Sata cables) so I just left it in the case unplugged. I started the system up and after the log on Screen, it shut down, it didnt re-start, it just shut down. Didnt happen before this so, I must of shorted one of the components? I'm pretty sure I didnt touch any of the components on the Mobo, or anything else. Will this be a simple fix for PC world or w.E?

Thanks.

-question by Sigh

PC turns off in 30 seconds

A friend of mine needs some help with his PC - Compaq Presario SR1020T desktop. His fan was very noisy and he bought a new one which turned out to be too big and wouldn't fit. He put back the old fan and tried to start the PC - it turned on, there was a black screen for 30 seconds and then PC tuned off. No beeps or err messages. I looked up some forums and proposed to him some solutions but nothing worked out. I also need to mention that he have 2 HDD drives and lately he has been getting a message when booting about HDD failure - however everything was working.

To make it even more complicated - my friend lives in a different city so I'm sort of trying to navigate him over the phone...

Please advice! Thank you

PC shuts down after a few seconds Pc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

Ok.. Well I can give few options. Please check all of them and hopefully you will be able to over come the situation.

1.Check the Bios system if the "Over Heated' system is disable change it to "enable"

2. It could be the processor is getting heated and the fan is not fixed properly. Do not ignore this and check the processor whether it is tightly fixed or not?

3. If you are using more than one RAM please check your system by using only one RAM which is compatible to your system.

Ok.. Well I can give few options. Please check all of them and hopefully you will be able to over come the situation.

1.Check the Bios system if the "Over Heated' system is disable change it to "enable"

2. It could be the processor is getting heated and the fan is not fixed properly. Do not ignore this and check the processor whether it is tightly fixed or not?

3. If you are using more than one RAM please check your system by using only one RAM which is compatible to your system.

russow

shutdown after boot up or a few secondsPc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

I have the same problems withmy pc 2 weeks ago, I test all my hardware butI found no problem, and I found out that the my computer is infected by a worm virus "I'm-Worm.Win32.Sohanad.Bm" it is a worm virus that creates a subfolder with the same folder name. And when you accidentally open that folder that the virus created your computer will automatically shut downs receiving a message with system shutdown automatically withinn 01:00 seconds... And even if you restarted your pc it will automaticlly shut down again and again... It is because the virus configure the pc-off.Bat. And activate it when you accidentally  open the folder that the virus created.. Worm virus Sohanad.Bm is the same as Blaster.Worm/Lovesan.Worm... Hope this will help ...

the remedy that I make is to reformat my hard drive...

It is the easiest way  that I had in mind... 

And the problem is gone...

-reply by Gunz

I had the same problem a while back as well. Turns out my power supply was shorted out. Bought a new one, replaced it, and BAM! No more pesky, restarting and what not when I turn my computer on. :P

HELP! My computer has had a similar problem, sort of. It shut down for no reason while turned on a week ago and i haven't found the solution to get it booted up yet. I tried searching for topics like these on the internet but it seemed that such problem were scarce and not well documented.My PC specs:Compaq presario sr1934nxAMD athlon 64 3500+1 GB ram, 200GB hard driveIntegrated Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE?Windows xp media center 2005The situation went like this: the screen turned black while the computer was turned on to do some surfing/watching videos and the fan kept spinning, it made loud noise that could made you think that it was spinning above its rated speeds even after the screen was pitch dark. After this persisted for a few seconds the PC shut down completely and made no sound what-so-ever as if it was just like not turned on at all. Now when i turn it on the fan spins for about a fraction of a second and halts to a stop after that. The lights on my computer would turn green for the same amount of time and shuts down again as well. I took this to a PC repair shop and they couldn't pinpoint the exact problem, only speculated that it had something to do with the CPU or motherboard.?If there is any methods that i could utilize to hopefully troubleshoot the problem, please tell me in good faith to help a guy out. I'm pretty sure this isn't a virus because my computer could only start for like 1/2 seconds and then shuts down again. Getting into BIOS or safe mode is pretty much impossible because of the hardware not booting up to load the OS.?

well sometims your pc shuts off autumatically becasue is can no longer read the ram which it need to run becasue without that there is no memory for processing(unles u make ur harddrive into a ram). but u should try opening you computer and taking out the ram to clean it. you should us a card top eraser to take of the metal particles that are on the tip. becasue of the electricity that is constantly passing through the ram it oxidides to make the little dirt like particles that you might see..just clean that off and then everyhting should be ok. or it could be that it is a virus or you may have messed up the bios