xisto Community
moldboy

Google Web Accellerator! Google makes surfing faster

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I found this while responding to the google size thread. Seems quite intresting, most of the other services that offer this aren't free, but hey this is by google. If you don't mind me being snide for a moment, they say it works best with broadband, well, us dial up users are the one's who need the speed up, but seriously, I think this will be a good thing, I used it for a few minutes, I have ISP/modem problems but it said it took 5-6 seconds off my waiting time!

Seems interesting. Aren't they putting their fingers in too many cakes?A web accelerator. I always thought they were spyware! Now from Google!! I hope this is not a spyware...They say in the beta testing phase, it is only for people in North America & Europe, so I cannot install and test it right away... sad...

I guess this is another good service fro google. i am on a dial-up internet connectio, so this web accelator would be a big help for me. I just hope people wouldn't just cut and paste some stuff from other websites for the FAQs. :(

yay! TWO posts that are exactly the same and both of which are copied straight from google.com! Amazing... The thread creator has a link to the same content...back to the web accelerator, I really believe this is not google having their finger in too many cakes. In terms of their business, they are the masters at collecting and organizing data. This is another way to collect usage stats from people. They will know what pages are popular (accessed many times) and then they will probably incorporate this into their ranking system. PLUS, they will have surfing habits which they can use for marketing or they can sell the information.They will track similarities in web surfing habits across thousands of people to develop profiles. For example, 90% of those who go to car websites also go to computer websites. That would be valuable information for comptuer sellers. They know they can reach their customers by advertising on car related things.

I've been using this for a few days, it seems to work here and there... most of the time the difference is very little though. in 481 pages I've saved 5.1 min.

Yeah it appears to be good and valid but who really needs an accelerator when you have broadband.....a few milliseconds of saved time isnt a big deal. Secondly, you all need to start using the quote tag cause the moderator will yell at you since you get credit for posting something that isnt yours.

i find Google Web Accellerator useless, it does not work for the army system because it saved the page in your hard disk, therefore the money you got stay the same after you had bought something. and it also make me fail to load some pages in other forum. however that still in beta, it may get batter in the real version.

Heh, just tried it for a day, and I saved 15 minutes on my browsing time!Amazing that the Google Web accellerator isnt spyware, like the other free ones that you can download off of other websites.

Seems interesting. Aren't they putting their fingers in too many cakes?

A web accelerator. I always thought they were spyware! Now from Google!! I hope this is not a spyware...

They say in the beta testing phase, it is only for people in North America & Europe, so I cannot install and test it right away... sad...

138995[/snapback]

Heh, just tried it for a day, and I saved 15 minutes on my browsing time!

Amazing that the Google Web accellerator isnt spyware, like the other free ones that you can download off of other websites.

139126[/snapback]

Actually, Google Webaccelerator is spyware. Check it out: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Actually, Google Webaccelerator is spyware. Check it out: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It's gmail all over again, their reading my email AHHHHHHHHH!
That's just insane, infact when you go online everything you type is sent open to a third party. Or even to a first party, your ISP. Who says you can trust your ISP? They have a privacy policy, they must be trustworthy, well so does the Web Accellerator. It even says taht https pages won't be cached and that it all is encoded to you, besides, I will say like I said with gmail, don't like it don't use it! It's free, and no body is forcing you to use it.

exactly... nothing you sent over internet can be hack proof or spy proof... It is no big deal that your mails can be accessed by other people but just the fact the who the hell wud be interested in personal mails (unless of course u sent some critical financial information/passwords or maybe u work for some detective agency or whatever... ).. but I don't think most of the mail are even close to that when it comes to content... Also as per statistics quite a big percentage( i don't remember the exact number) of mails are spam... so what are the chances of someone finding information he/she can use by reading someone's mail???? i dont think much...so just take care what you put in ur mails and you should be safe... what say???btw as for google, it does not need to spy on your mails... who knows even yahoo and hotmail might be doing it.. i am not saying they need to or that they wud.. but they have so many other ways to put their resources in rather than this....so as for the accelerator.. it should be useful especially if u use dial up... I agree that on broadband it wud not make much of a difference but they are improving .. so it might improve further along the way...

Google is crazy! Please (in my opinion) avoid this program!

People will be able to view anything you viewed... that means, if you viewed a PM, a cached version is on GOOGLE's site, and people can view it!

If you read something in hotmail, they WILL be able to read it

If you typed a password, and it shows up (say on a confirmation page or your email) people can see it.

Moderators are highly recommended to uninstall or avoid this program.

The preceding comment was pure opinion.

I've been using this for a few days, it seems to work here and there... most of the time the difference is very little though. in 481 pages I've saved 5.1 min.

139069[/snapback]

so, if you have saved 5.1 minute per 481 pages, that means...

that means 1 minute = 94.3 pages.

result: you every a page and a half you load, you save one second.

i suppose you're using dial-up connection (just like me), and i don't know too much about acellerator programs (i don't trust any programs which runs while i'm surfing the net, even if it's Google's), but it doesn't seem very fast

when i find a page which is too slow for my connection (more than 25 seconds for loading), i just go away and never come back. i can find what i was searching somewhere else and the webmasters losses my hit.

so the solution is to develope designs which are lighter than 120 Kb. it's not so hard, believe me.

This could have been very sweet, if only I didn't get this funny message:Thank you for yourinterest in Google Web Accelerator.We have currently reached ourmaximum capacity of users andare actively working to increasethe number of users we can supportMan!!! :rolleyes: