xisto Community
emperor

What's Your Favourite Book? Why? A small investigation about most popular books

How many books do you read each year  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ANYTHING by Chuck Palahniuk. He's written "Fight Club," "Survivor" and countless other amazing books that should be read by anyone and everyone."House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski. Its the most creative, abstract piece of literature I've come across to date.Those are good starts. There are so many books out there that are just amazing though.

ANYTHING by Chuck Palahniuk.  He's written "Fight Club," "Survivor" and countless other amazing books that should be read by anyone and everyone.

"House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski.  Its the most creative, abstract piece of literature I've come across to date.

Those are good starts.  There are so many books out there that are just amazing though.

135800[/snapback]

OMGOMGOMG. Fight Club was great. I watched the movie, and then saw the book, so it was a little easier to picture all the things in the book, but it was basically the same thing, word for word. I absolutely loved Fight Club, and I really don't quite know why...

I read a lot.. But it changes every so often. Sometimes I read lots, sometimes I surf the net lots (like now), sometimes I write lots and so on.. I have a lot of favourite books, and I'm one of those annoying people who refuse to see the movie until they've read the book. Some of my favourites:Darksong series, Obernewtyn series - Isobelle CarmodyKilling me Softly - Nikki FrenchSherlock Holmes stories ( -_- ) - Sir Arthur Conan DoyleP & P, Emma, Mansfield Park - Jane Austen

My two most favourite authors are Colin Forbes and Tom Clancy.I have read and re-read most of the books by these authors and can re-read the books time and again.Colin Forbe's character Tweed--the Head of the British SIS-- and Marler---the world's most famous marksman--are my favourite characters.Forbe's thrillers have a unique quality to them.I admire Jack Ryan, Clark and Chavez in Clancy's fiction.

As I can't decide, I have two favourite books.

* The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time by Mark Haddon

* The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams

In The Curious Incident... the style is so fantastic that it leads you to believe that this is a true story. This book, about a boy with asperger's syndrome, is remarkable and is definately a must read! Read it and you'll find out what I mean!

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - amazing, need I say more? Those of you that have read this book will understand where I'm coming from. Where else would you find a funny sci-fi? No matter how many times I read it, I will never get bored!

My favourite books are "The Fundation" by Isaac Asimov and "1984" by George Orwell. Why? I just like SF a lot...I like everything that is releated to SF. Some could say 1984 is not SF. Well they might be true but I also find that book interesting because like Jules Verne it anticipated some things... Everyone that saw Fahrenheit 911 knows what I'm talking about :(

I like to read books that I can learn from mostly. Books like "Teach yourself ..." and "Learn ... in 24 hours". Mostly anything that I can learn something interesting from; Computers, Gaming, Philosophy/Theology, Spirituality, Ancient History (The Iliad & The Odyssey are Amazing!), Physics, etc.. Almost everything interests me if it is useful knowledge! (Hence my interest in Community Forums like this one).But I do also read some fictional books (not many though), mostly about Magic, Wizards, Elves and the like..I have read all of J.R.R. Tolkien's works (The Silmarillian, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings) of which I found The Silmarillian to be the best one!And I am currently reading J.K. Rowlings works (the Harry Potter series) but I am only on the second book so far...Even stuff by H.G. Wells is quite interesting, like War of the Worlds and Time Machine. Much can be learned in those books as well!

It's hard for me to pick a single favourite book, but I'll list a few ones off the top of my head that I really liked:

The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien) - one fo the best fantasy adventures ever - and a great precursor to the LOTR series

A Wild Sheep Chase and Dance Dance Dance (Haruki Murakami) - very surreal story set (for the most part) in Hokkaido. A fine example of post-modern literature.

Learning to Bow (Bruce S. Feiler) - A fine insight of a teacher's experiences in Japan while teaching English at a junior high school. Although by now it seems a bit dated (the book was published in the early 90's), a lot of what the writer observed still holds true in some ways today.

133486[/snapback]

Are these Japanese books or are they just English books written by Japanese authors?

Sounds quite interesting. I might make a trip to the library if they arn't in Japanese.

-Shackman

Gosh, I love to read. My favorites are:The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. LewisLOTR, Silmarillion, Hobbit, etc., by J.R.R. TolkienThe Scarlet Letter, Nathaniel HawthorneThe Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre DumasI also really enjoy reading non-fiction titles on apologetics. Anything by Ravi Zacharias, C.S. Lewis, JP Moreland, or Norm Giesler is awesome.

I'm a Harry Potter nerd because they are such page turners. I've read the latest one which was over 700 pages in about two days.I also love Eragon. <3 Good book.I like mainly fantasy books as well as horror. From time to time I'll read fiction.

My favorite book is "I am the Cheese." Probably people wont read this [great] book because of the weird title name. Its kinda sad at some parts, which I dont like in books, but this one is an expection. Since I first read it, I have probably re-read it say, 5-10 more times in a span of 5 years. Its a really good book, it doesnt have a very strong ending though. Well, yeah it does, its just hard to follow becuase all of a sudden, it spits out the big secret with no forwarning what so ever. I didn't understand it the first time through until I finished the book, then I got the book. Maybe I should have read the book backwards! :(

A bries hostory of time-Stephen Hawking,that guy is incredible. He succesfully answered all questions that human race have being asking themselves since beginning of time

HiI don't have a specific book, I like to read to learn something ususally, no novels here.I like history books, aircrafts and tanks books since I build models for fun.Patrick

I would name a very ?big? book. Bertrand Russell?s History of Western Philosophy. Bertrand Russell is really one of the very few wise men I knew in my life (of course, I am too young to know him personally). Reading the book brings tremendous pleasure, especially the first two parts of the book, which are very well written. You?d feel as if you drove a tank into the jungle, and you became much superior then the philosophers you looked upon. Russell is well beyond all those philosopher and the book shows that he knew the strengths and weakness of each of them very well. He also demonstrated to me how to think critically and to tackle very complex philosophic questions (and even ethical questions) in an analytic way. Russell is my teacher, in that his book changed the way I think. I was very lucky to read the book when I was still very young (around 18 then), and I found his advice useful. I would strongly recommend this book. Readers will feel they are promoted to a higher intellectual level after reading the book.