xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Rate My Php-based Site

Here is the homepage that I have just recently finished coding.. http://www.subzer0.net/

It is Valid XHTML, and there are only a couple errors I need to fix before it will be Valid CSS. I also coded many other files for my site.. On the homepage, put your cursor over the word "edits" and a little box should pop up and show you some of my coded files! :o

Oh dude.. sorry to see your site. I hope you will improve it soon. Firstly the visibility. Links colors are not very eyes-friendly meaning not userfriendly. Secondly, the background color or graphics just blur everything. I have not seen this kind of message board. If you are having host as good as Xisto why not set up some other board rather than this script you are using at the moment?This site design is one of the most uncommon ones I've ever seeen. I however wonder how could you get many members and visitors to your site with this design.. lol... though I'm very critical to your site design, don't feel bad... its just my observation, some other people have different taste too. Keep it up that spirit... That's my review about your site. Thanks.

I agree with the comments above. Thing is you might be a good programmer but there are so many boards out there right now that you can download and configure for free that i'm wondering why bother unless it's just for learning purposes. Boards are dull, people should start focusing on other things, much harder and more impressive like games.
round

Agree, with the statements above. The wave backgrounds make everything difficult to read and users have to scroll to see the content. Maybe you should change the idea of your design.

Here is the homepage that I have just recently finished coding..  http://www.subzer0.net/

It is Valid XHTML, and there are only a couple errors I need to fix before it will be Valid CSS.  I also coded many other files for my site..  On the homepage, put your cursor over the word "edits" and a little box should pop up and show you some of my coded files!  :D

129209[/snapback]

It's nice you try to make your site valid XHTML, but i think it's more important to make your site 'user-friendly' first and then worry about your site being XHTML compliant.....

When visiting the boards i couldnt find a link back to the homepage... an overall-header would be nice.....

I voted 'bad' in the poll on your site... i didn't even bother to read the homepage content because of the backg-images... sorry :o

Greetz,

RikÅ 

To be completely honest, your site sucks.Its too busy between the background image and the foreground images. Tone down the images and the colors and just pick a solid color for the background or a very light and undistracting images. Then instead of going crazy with the other graphics tone them down too. You can use backgrounds but make them blend into the background b/c the user doesnt care about the look they want a friendly site to get the information. AN example of a friendly but iteractive and colorful layout go to FFX Allakhazam.com. Not only does it look good but it navigates well too.

It kind of looks like you're bragging that you know CSS. You generally don't want to use effects like italics or bold for hover links because it can mess up line length and related things. Also, IMO, active link changes are pointless, and nobody uses strikethrough anymore. The visited link top and left border thing looks really weird, too. The images also get a little blurred in the cell backgrounds, and the thin, black text on gray background is hard to see.