xisto Community
munim

Yahoo! To Give 1gb Email!

This is insane. Well, Google is INSANE. Who the hell needs more than 1 GB of storage (email). Back then, we had to live with 2 gigs or even furtherback 200-500 megs hard drive.xboxrulz

So Yahoo is now trying to catch up with Gmail and offer what the latter has offered since day one. About a year too late it may be, but this'll heat up the competition for sure.

Anyway...this is a good move. As the battle goes on..the space will keep increasing. I think both giants are good in different ways. I still feel google should give webhosting.....

-Shackman

129836[/snapback]

Exactly my thoughts....

But then Xisto will have to compete with Google hosting... like Yahoo doing with them now!

Any guesses as to who will win?

Xisto I feel as it has the loyalty of so many users so far. And in any case I do not think even Gogle will be able to afford to give more bandwidth as it is very expensive... They can give more space, but not bandwidth... so it will not be that bad afterall -_-

There's also K-Mail I've suggested at the freebie stuff.... Gmail is definitely the best mail boxs now and in the future, unless someone dares to give 5GB of mail spaces...

This is insane. Well, Google is INSANE.  Who the hell needs more than 1 GB of storage (email). Back then, we had to live with 2 gigs or even furtherback 200-500 megs hard drive.

xboxrulz

130739[/snapback]

I agree. Who needs all that space for just mail? But then, I think they could be helpful in a way. For those people who use a lot of space and used to pay for it, they must be dancing now.

That news isn't that new. I often check my Yahoo! Mail for my newsletters and I think that they're nuts as well. With such a towering competition, they simply won't stand a chance. I mean, Gmail invitations are not rare any longer.

-_- I wonder what Hotmail's doing now. Hotmail's my least used account.

Yahoo! email storage update May 5, 2005Happy Cinco de Mayo, by-the-way!It is official. Yahoo! has increased email storage to 1GB. Check your Yahoo! email account and if you would, let me know. Although I did not sign up for any premiere account I no longer have advertisements displaying on my inbox. I am not complaining but I am curious to know if this is true for every Yahoo! email users.I guess this thread is considered closed since the topic question is now answered.Cheers.

This is all a part of the race to give users more space, when Gmail annouced giving out 2GB of space, Yahoo would counter it by releasing this 1GB Mail Space.

A few days ago Yahoo changed the famous "250MB (1GB coming soon)" to "1 GB of email storage". That would be great if it would be true... I should tell you I'm not a very big fan of Gmail or Yahoo. So I have 2 accounts at Yahoo: one is mine and it is 3 years old and the second is my mother's and it has 3 months. My account was upgraded long before the official annoncement but my mother's still has "only" 250mb. I really don't care about how much space they give since I don't use more then 10mb but the problem is why they lie :(

They have a new feature too...

They wud check the IP address of the email origin and find out the domain. If this domain name does not match that in the email address, it wud be indicated in the mail. This way, it wud be easier to identify spoofed emails. Not that it is impossible for spammers but relatively difficult since you need an ip from the domain that u intend to send the email as originating from...
that should be cool........ lets c when gmail introduces such a feature...

DomainKeys: Proving and Protecting Email Sender Identity

From its site:

Email spoofing - the forging of another person's or company's email address to get users to trust and open a message - is one of the biggest challenges facing both the Internet community and anti-spam technologists today. Without sender authentication, verification, and traceability, email providers can never know for certain if a message is legitimate or forged and will therefore have to continually make educated guesses on behalf of their users on what to deliver, what to block, and what to quarantine, in the pursuit of the best possible user experience.
DomainKeys is a technology proposal that can bring black and white back to this decision process by giving email providers a mechanism for verifying both the domain of each email sender and the integrity of the messages sent (i.e,. that they were not altered during transit). And, once the domain can be verified, it can be compared to the domain used by the sender in the From: field of the message to detect forgeries. If it's a forgery, then it's spam or fraud, and it can be dropped without impact to the user. If it's not a forgery, then the domain is known, and a persistent reputation profile can be established for that sending domain that can be tied into anti-spam policy systems, shared between service providers, and even exposed to the user.

http://domainkeys.sourceforge.net/

Cheers.

A few days ago Yahoo changed the famous "250MB (1GB coming soon)" to "1 GB of email storage". That would be great if it would be true... I should tell you I'm not a very big fan of Gmail or Yahoo. So I have 2 accounts at Yahoo: one is mine and it is 3 years old and the second is my mother's and it has 3 months. My account was upgraded long before the official annoncement but my mother's still has "only" 250mb. I really don't care about how much space they give since I don't use more then 10mb but the problem is why they lie :(

138329[/snapback]

Don't worry, they will introduce 1GB to all members in a phased manner. I already have 1GB and noticed it just now, actually.

When they upgraded from 6MB to 250MB, my account took some time to get updated... IT is fine now, now the battle is HOT! between GMail and Yahoo!

Well, right now Gmail's winning by roughly 1166.2369mb and then some.. Because as you would know, the counter here is continually going up at about a rate of 1gb every three years, I think.

Well, it is interesting. I use gmail right now and also yahoo... I prefer Gmail because their space offer is the best (talking about reliable mail services) but maybe if Yahoo gets to one Giga without connectivuty problems, it would be better than Gmail. I?m finding some problems to enter my Gmail account sometimes.Also, any improvement in spam detection is always welcome.

I dont like Yahoo mail, its to complicated to get to your inbox. I perfer Gmail, the inbox keeps growing and growing, about 1KB a minute. Go ahead and laugh, but thing about how much it would grow in a month. :( Only 1 giga byte. :(