xisto Community
jacob

What is the best PHP bulliten board?

What is the best PHP bulliten board?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I prefer making my own board. Sure it might take at least 2 weeks, but at least everything will be exactly the way I want. And when I didn't know much php to make my own I used a http://www.gamefaqs.com/ spinoff. I really like those sources, whitefyre is one of the easiest to install and has many features. You can find it at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The boards will look like this http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

And no I don't own that site or are a mod there just because I'm telling you about it. I just think boards like that are way much better than phpBB and invisionfree. Waaaay much. Very eye friendly and much easier. No javascript, which is good because javascript = bad most of the time

Making a board as functional and diverse as any of those listed above takes much longer than two weeks, especially if it's only you working on it.whiteFyre doesn't look nearly as good as phpBB, IPB, or vBulletin.

Making a board as functional and diverse as any of those listed above takes much longer than two weeks, especially if it's only you working on it.
whiteFyre doesn't look nearly as good as phpBB, IPB, or vBulletin.

Although phpBB, vBulletin, and invision have many features, they are overcrowded with useless space wasting feautres. Like poll in topics. Only the admin should be allowed to make polls on the front page, the other regular users should just type down a question and some options. And those forums have too many pictures everywhere. Signatures should not have pictures, that makes it very hard to read each post in a topic. And speaking about posts, so much information is being posted along with each post, like the user title, level, number of posts, and more. If someone wants to know that they should look at their userinfo.

Another thing, this board uses invision power board. I can see that the whole board works on only one file. The file must have at least 10,000 lines of code in it. That's one reason it's so slow. Another reason is that when many users are viewing the board, someof them may get a "Connection Error" or "Connection Timeout" since all of them are lurking one single file. Give the server a break you're overbandwidthing it.

One file? I don't think so, buddy. IPB v1.3 is made up of around 400 files, and that's in its original/unhacked state.You are probobly referring to the fact that most actions are called through the file 'index.php', as shown in the address bar. This file doesn't contain many functions in itself (although it does have some); most functions are in other files which are called from the index.php file (via include, require, etc). One of the larger scripts is the functions.php file, which contains most of the functions for IPB - which is over 3000 lines.

I'm at a deadlock between Invision Board and PHPBB. They are both very good. However, I would prefer writing my own forum script (I'm not certain how detailed I would make the board). Now with vBulletin, the major turn-off is the fact that you must pay money to receive it. I'm not sure exactly, but I think the software costs $200. Don't quote me on that though.

actually, phpBB has more mods, at it's official site.......

can agree more

but

so what

IPB has it all in the generic package

im an admin at forums run both at PHPbb (by przemo btw the best version) and IPB

I use PHPbb for legit reasons. Its good but it will newer be as good as IPB!!!!

IPB rules !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have to say PHPBB2 is the best PHP board around. The're working on releasing the new 2.2.x version of the board sometime this year and the features for this new version quite outdue themselves from what I've read about them. It will be a lot better than Invision Powerboards, VBulletin, ect.. ect. But it is more likely that preferance in features will play a big part in the board you choose to go with. Invision has features that PHPBB does not have yet and vise-versa. So, I would visit each of their sites and compare the features. See which one you like best. (what features you need will determine which board is best for you) Later, J. (TS) P.S. PHPbb also has a mods section which will allow you to extend the current version of phpbb to include features that aren't built in already. There is a very large list of mods for the board on their site.