xisto Community
iGuest

what is your religion?

So plz don't believe that everything that's written in the holy book of your religion or what millions believe is THE truth. It's just a possibility, with not more chance than any other one.If you don't think it's suited in this forum, just delete it or ask me and I'll delete the story myself.

What i believe is a possibility....everything is 'a possibility' ...evolution, the big bang, that we were created 5 seconds ago with memories, that i am the only living person and everyone else is just a dream, fate, that we live in a matrix....the list goes on..and on..and on

I believe Christianity is the true possibility because of my personal experience. I believe that experience is open to all, but people are free to choose, and free to disagree with me and my life experience.

I wont ever dream of saying to anyone 'OI BELIEVE THIS COS ITS TRUE', infact, ive yet to find someone who is truely regarded as a part of christianity atleast, who has done - those 'Christians' ive heard say it often have little awareness of what the bible actually says....and that sort of scenario is true for many other religions too.

were i to say 'i have found this is true for me and believe it could be true for you - take or leave' then its different.

Ummm..... You don't believe in evolution? Do you believe in science? You said you would change your beliefs with proof, so lets see...

If you can prove any of those at all to me, to which i can offer absolutely no alternative, i will give you everything i own.

If on the other hand i can find a single alternative....then you have just said 'these possibilities are proven' which is a lie.

I happen to have studied a lot of the positions you raised, and very few scientists say they are 'proven beyond all doubt'. If someone suggests they are 'proven beyond all doubt', then that is scientism - not science. It becomes a religion, and subject to exactly the same arguments as any other religion.

Science is good for some things, but to think it can answer everything is naiive - and like saying that a very small man born into a very big box, would be able to know if he was in a box or not.

why do people really believe in religion so much? and believe its true,
Here an example-
Star wars movies, jedi has become a religion.  (man made)

For me personally, because it has changed my life.

But also because it, as an answer to 'why are we here' is just as useful as science, because science isnt proof.

Many religions are man made, but that doesnt mean all are. Indeed, if the possibility that 'one is true' is true, then the rest of them have to be man made.

^Simple really :)

I was Christened a "Roman Catholic" when I was a small child.
After having religion force-fed to me via the education system
over the years, I rebelled against it years ago. These days I am
more Atheist.

Your not the only one Amras :shock:

More problems are caused by religion than are solved.

In a world where you can't proof anything, you have to think that the most likely possibility is the truth, unless proven otherwise.If you find a fossile, you can conclude, that it was an animal, that lived like a million years ago and that there is evolution. Or you can think the devil made it, to let us think there was evolution.To me, the second one sounds the same as blaming the devil that you got a fine for driving too fast; he just pushed a little bit on your foot.That's why I choose the first one, which I think has the most chance to be the right one.If you believe in god, can you please tell me why he invented the mosquitos? Their only purpose is to suck blood out of our bodies!And what do you think of the story of the arch of Noah? Let's compare. A scientist who doesn't like what he created and just drawns all his creatures (except 2).And how, btw, did they populate the whole world? I smell some incest. :)

If you can prove any of those at all to me, to which i can offer absolutely no alternative, i will give you everything i own. 

If on the other hand i can find a single alternative....then you have just said 'these possibilities are proven' which is a lie.

I happen to have studied a lot of the positions you raised, and very few scientists say they are 'proven beyond all doubt'. If someone suggests they are 'proven beyond all doubt', then that is scientism - not science. It becomes a religion, and subject to exactly the same arguments as any other religion. 

Science is good for some things, but to think it can answer everything is naiive - and like saying that a very small man born into a very big box, would be able to know if he was in a box or not.

I dont have any idea what your talking about

I love this discussion. Philosophy is great. If we keep posting like this, I think we should call this FreePhilosophyHosting. Admin will be very pleased with it, I suppose. :)

Thanks man. I'm going to buy my own domain name on friday. Then it's really going to start. And then, I'll have to make a lot of publicity of it. That will be a lot of work, lol.But back to the philosophy now.

I love this discussion. Philosophy is great. If we keep posting like this, I think we should call this FreePhilosophyHosting. Admin will be very pleased with it, I suppose.  :)

Lol...Genius :P

In a world where you can't proof anything, you have to think that the most likely possibility is the truth, unless proven otherwise.

^read that again :) - thats impossible.

If you find a fossile, you can conclude, that it was an animal, that lived like a million years ago and that there is evolution. Or you can think the devil made it, to let us think there was evolution. To me, the second one sounds the same as blaming the devil that you got a fine for driving too fast; he just pushed a little bit on your foot.That's why I choose the first one, which I think has the most chance to be the right one.

you can think any number of things...but you never get anywhere other than a possibility, by your own admission. Logically, we have no basis to assume one is more likely...they are all possible, and we never saw it happen. To say anything else is like someone from the matrix saying 'i cant imagine this being a dream world so it isnt'.

You choose one belief, i choose the other. We cant compare them 'logically' because logically we have just as much reason to decide.

I base my beliefs on the way my life has been changed since i studied and began to follow it. All anyone can base any belief on is their own experience - as perception is the only absolute thing one can understand, everythign else is merely a possibility.

If you believe in god, can you please tell me why he invented the mosquitos? Their only purpose is to suck blood out of our bodies!And what do you think of the story of the arch of Noah? Let's compare. A scientist who doesn't like what he created and just drawns all his creatures (except 2).
And how, btw, did they populate the whole world? I smell some incest.

Nope, i cant tell you why mosquitos exist - I am not God, i just believe in him....and there is a definite difference there.

What i can say though, is that the fact that i dont know all the answers doesnt prove science is any better. Scientific conclusions hold just as many questions. For instance, If you believe in evolution, can you please tell me why despite the hundreds of thousands of fossils discovered there is not a single one showing a transition animal?

As soon as you start basing disbelief on individual instances that either you dont understand or dont think make sense then you need to think about 2 things.

1) should you become agnostic, because the same logic works against science too...and against everything.

2) if something doesnt make sense, is there a way of understanding it that enables it to make sense.... and from that...am i ever able to understand everything?

Things cannot be disproved, as we both agree....that ultimately means that seeming 'logical arguments' (to an individual) dont always 'win arguments' if peoples perceptions differ....Because every opinion is a result of individual perception....and no one perception can be argued to be more valid than another, without compromising equality.

lol :) PHILOSOPHY ROCKS!!!A google spell checker took me to download.com... WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE WORLD?!?!?!?! Finally a reason for this philosophical question... :)

Human beings think of themselves as hecka special considering we feel we have reign over every other creature on this planet ... I think this makes it very hard for people to believe in a god, because it means that we have to stop seeing ourselves as a god first. I'm sure goldfish believe they understand absolutely everything about their world too ... not knowing what it it even means for there to be other creatures in their plane of existence that could have a greater level of consciousness and reasoning than them. So they just swim around in their little kingdom -despite all the signs that there may be something greater ...