xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Matrixdudej

What Will Happen If Oil Ceases To Exist?

I was just wondering what would happen if ALL of the worlds oil would cease to exist and it ran out,and yes i doubt it will be anytime soon but do you think it would bring mass chaos?would something else be invented to replace it by then?Eventually the world will run out of oil its just a matter of time...a lot of time but still none the less what do you think would happen?

I think that if the world were to run out of oil, there would be a big strive to make an effecent all electric car, that is just as affordable as Oil-Powered cars are... because everyone needs transportation, so they will work probably 100x as hard to come up with the electric car rather than the small effort being put towards it now

Well the way the earth works it could be producing oil right now.But if we ran, we will probably not need it anymore because we will make air powered cars or water powered. By the time this will ever happen we will probably all die from a huge quake or something. Or it will never happen.If it does there will be debt for all the oil company's and allot of people without jobs.

Yes, the humanity would be in need of a new kind of combustible and do new inventions that would not have the need of oil. I think that the sciencist and that people can already do something like electric cars and planes that are as powerful or better than oil powered transports, is just that cause we still have the oil it would be a waste of time and money, but if we would run out of oil, the human would have to do it wanting or not, it would be like a motivation.But also, what about the products that are made with oil? umm... dont know so much about that... heh.. there exist many other materials.

Well, these same questions were being asked in the 60's and got us through two Oil Embargos and the Oil Companies found some new methods and techniques for recovery of marginal Oil Deposits, ie: Tar Sands development, but Oil is a short-term solution. Better hope that the Scientists and Engineers put their thinking caps on to bail us out of this one.Hydro-electric seems possible. Hydrogen powered vehicles are on the way, too. Don't count on LPG because it'll be gone when the Oil is run out. Those two come from similar sources. The trouble is that no matter where we get the Energy from, remembering that Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only converted, there is an impact on the Environment. Hydro-electric requires Dams and resevoirs which affect local and Global ecologies. Do we know the real effects of removing and using the Hydrogen from the atmosphere? Actually, might turn out to have Nuclear fusion engines in our hovercraft-like vehicles??? I'll stick around to find out. Won't the Terrorists like that as a method of suicide Bombing places?An even more pressing issue is how do we stop the effects of the environmental damage we have already created? Global Warming is expected to melt the Polar Ice Caps by 2040. No more Polar Bears. They live on the Ice flows. And Air Pollution MUST be halted or the process will accelerate even quicker than that.

Hm...I think that USA will be the last one to have Oil, since they spare their own oil under their land and use the Oil from other countries just for that reason (they will be the last to have it and the prices will be extremely high)..BUT in my opinion Oil is not the biggest concern, since we already have certain ways to implement it! What about PURE FRESH WATER!? This is I think the biggest problem and if we run out of those, we are in really deep trouble. Many scientists and historicists say that the third world war will be for the pure fresh water as it will be so hard to obtain in those days...Oil is by far not as important as having something to drink...

i guess by the time oil runs out, we would have found a new source of energy.It should be the days where u see wind mills everywhere, dams build across every river.Althou I think the option of nuclear power will be widely used (when it comes to survival, nobody cares if it is dangerous or not)If technology is even more advanced, i shld see new unfound forms of energy. How would u know if u can produce energy out of thin air or mayb dust.. lolOn a scarier thought, if u watched MATRIX, how about humans selling themselves as a power source?

there would be many problems if oil cease to exist,which are stated by many above,i will tell you about some benefits when oils ceases ,all cars would run on a pollution free enviourment like electric cars and water and air cars ,all terrorists funding comes from oil economy based countries ,so no terrorists funding and many other benefits,debts of most cuntries would start getting clear and osama will have no food to eat hehe

all cars would run on a pollution free environment like electric cars and water and air cars, all terrorists funding comes from oil economy based countries ,so no terrorists funding and many other benefits, debts of most countries would start getting clear and osama will have no food to eat hehe

I've never heard of a more ridiculously hasty generalization, but I suppose we all have the freedom of expression.

First off, cars would run on a pollution free environment, only assuming that humanity will have found a non-polluting fuel alternative by then. What if, for example, we manage to synthesis an alternative to diesel or gasoline only to find out, 30 years later, that whatever it is decays into CFC's or HCFC's in a decade or two?

Second, not all terrorist funding comes from countries whose economy are heavily dependent on oil. I've never heard of a more preposterous and racist statement; it is very little different from actually saying all middle-eastern countries in Asia are terrorist nations. Really, shame on thee!

Third, I doubt debts will be cleared just like that. I think, more than ever, developing countries will be even more aggravated. Remember that we, third-world countries, do not readily have free access to the newest technology, including whatever alternative to oil your chemists might cook up. A running joke in our country is the way our government exaggerates the benefits of having the "new second-hand" helicopter/plane/tank graciously donated by the US.

The loss of oil will virtually cripple our economy while countries like US or Japan will probably just say, "There's no more oil? Oh well, C'est la vie." (That is, of course, assuming the citizen knows, at least, some French)

Gawd, that'd be a nightmare. I've heard, though, that Japan is developing fuel cell technology, that is simply speaking, a small fusion reactor. (It fuses hydrogen and oxygen to produce water and energy) I understand that the raw ingredients are readily available in seawater, but I cannot imagine a road full of cars running on fuel cell. Over here, with poor street drainage, atrocious traffic jams and numerous vehicles, that could easily mean an ankle-deep flooding... in bright sunshine.

Really, it's a nightmare to live in our country when oil runs out. For your sake, guys, I do hope you'd have better luck :lol:

If the oil ran out, all counties will be forced to find different fuels. The government would fund alot of money in somehow bring it back, and everyday normal people will not belive. And think the govenment are hinding something from them. Then probably a big revolt making the would into a futuristic wasteland, and socicity will have to start up again. And with something else to replace fuel, but then that will run out and then...........

If all of the world's oil completely disappeared then our best fuel alternative would probably be ethanol made from corn. It's only about 70% to 85% as efficient as gasoline but it is obviously renewable and better for the environment too.

The problem would come from growing enough corn though. For example, if every kernel of corn grown in the US was converted to ethanol, it would only account for around 12% of our energy needs.

Cellulosic ethanol, which is being developed now, could solve this problem as well because it is made from waste vegatation like cornstalks and switchgrass.

I was just wondering what would happen if ALL of the worlds oil would cease to exist and it ran out,and yes i doubt it will be anytime soon but do you think it would bring mass chaos?would something else be invented to replace it by then?Eventually the world will run out of oil its just a matter of time...a lot of time but still none the less what do you think would happen?

I asked a psychologist this once in reference to the oil powers (the people who make money off of and control the oil) and he said that the psychological avenue would be one of grief which has four stages:

1. Denial/Shock
2. Bargaining
3. Depression
4. Anger
5. Acceptance

I believe that the professional world (the folks who own and make money off of oil) are in stage one and some are moving into stage 2 (like BP). As citizens dependent on oil I say we are still in 1. For instance, there is at most 100 yrs. of oil left. The U.S. geological survey says there are only 3 trillion barrels left to be found. The world uses 76 million barrels per day. You do the math. On page 82 of the Annual Edition of The Environment published by McGraw Hill, the U.S. is projected to be negative 20million barrels of oil PER DAY by 2020.

Here is a clip from an MSN news article at http://www.today.com/news/how-long-will-worlds-oil-last-2D80555939
At some stage , someone is going to have to stand up and say, We have a problem here and I think we ought to go out and solve it, said Smalley (a professor at Rice University). But at the present moment neither of the people involved in our presidential race have found the words or the motivation to do this.(2004) Since then Bush has come out with the Advanced Energy Initialtive to foster renewable transition and the American Competitiveness initiative to create competitive markets in the U.S. (we are way behind much of the world when it comes to renewable transition).

Unfortunately for apathetic Americans, if we don't want a huge disaster on our hands including death (from people freezing to death), starvation (from the lack of food transportation to cities) and global warming (a well known fact that is predicted to hit humanity with calamity around the same time we run out of oil), we need to act for ourselves and make sure we use renewable energy in our homes and communities. Even with all of the work that the Fed and State governments are doing rrom the top down to foster renewable energy transition, local municipalities and individual citizens need to educate themselves and work from the bottom up to meet the goals of the 21st Century.

Your also forgetting that if we has no oil we would not have Polymers. They require oil to be made. We would have no fuel for planes, buses, trains etc so the transport network would go down completely. Also the Oil Tycoons would have to go into a different industry and it would have a huge effect on the World Economy

I think that if oil ran out- all of the possible oil not just the stuff that we're actually allowed to get to- there would be a major problem. Probably not chaos in any manner of speaking, but more of a panic. The people who don't use their cars much and have gas left, the gasoline stores and the gas stations would be the first places that would be ravaged as people wanting some would attack what they wanted to get at it. Also, another way would have to be devised to replace the oil need in a car engine. I think that if all of the oil ran out, people would become more resourceful and think of better ways to operate everyday things. The economy would be in better balance when the oil companies suffer just like other companies and maybe we'd try a little harder to conserve a bit instead of wasting so much. Without oil, the world could be a better place, or a place that no one should ever have to live in.

There is no question that it will run out, as it is estimated that it will in approximately 30 years. I think the new main source of transportation fuel after oil runs out will either be solar energy or nuclear energy. Solar energy is good because it is safe and easy to use. Also, there is also a solar powered car but it costs a helluva lot of money :lol: Nuclear energy is good because it is extremely efficient and works well. The only problem with nuclear energy is it produces toxic waste and if unstable, could be very dangerous.Basically, i think solar energy will be used after oil runs out.