xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dodger

How To Make Your Pc Silent? Best Products for a Quiet Computer

How to make your PC silent?yes, I know all PCs will make noise, but there has to be products or materials or things you can do make them or help them become silentI know how to make a PC quiet... buy every component, etc that is very quiet..... fans, harddrives, cases, PS fans, CPU fans... or even use water coolers.... BUT for those who didn't think about case noise and besides starting from scratch....What products out there work?What products or components can we change that make a BIG difference!?!?!?!Please give pros/cons and reviews if you have tried or found anything that works good.I just changed 2 of my 3 PCs the 2 case fans in each.The existing fans were "cheap" I guess, not any good name brand, etc. I tried to look up their decibles on the web... I think most were about / around 30 dba.I replaced them with Vantec, 80mm, double ball bearing "stealth" case fans. Their rated dba was 21.I was hoping the 30% less dba would make a difference.... I "THINK" I can bearly tell....they cost $10 bucks each from Fry's... but I would not replace the current ones... if I would have know I would tell the differenceAnyway...that was my 2 cents.thanks for your reviews and input....PS. I'm hoping someone has some new Technology that quiets the PC by 50% percent!!!!All I want is a quiet office!!!

well,i atm, with my dad am building a pc, my old pc also used to make a LOT of noise and the cpu overheated, the best thing to do i think is to get a tornado to cool them down, or put an ice pack in there, thats quiet,lol, urm u could have a water cooler, i have seen them work quite quietly and very good coolers, the only problem is that u need a 450 watts power supply LOL the other fans are no good, a brass fan is good but in U.K u can only get them for AMD and stuff, not for INTEL, try a water cooler, and also, it depends on ur hardrive, they make a lot of noise

Edited by dundun2007 (see edit history)

My combination is Antec Sonta + VGA Silencer + Zalman CNPS7000-ALCU, my computer sits under my table, I can't hear any noise coming from my computer. The internal temperature is always under 45C, while overclocking.Noises can be generated by alot of hardwares, like harddrives, cpu cooler, video card cooler, power supply, intake/outtake fans and maybe motherboard chipset coolers.If dont care much about case temperature, you can check out noise damping sheets, (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article71-page1.html) or like doom said, use cooler cooling. Depends on your budget, you also also consider the TNN cases from Zalman.

if you want a quiet computer the best thing to get is a LAPTOP. They make almost no noise (the good ones anyway). I am using an IBM laptop and even when the fan comes on, it is hardly noticeable.if you already have a desktop and looking to make it more quiet. The best thing is to get a new power supply because the fan makes a lot of noise. I believe there are already some suggestions about this. Look for power supplies with ball bearing fans. Runs smoother.

The best way to make the computer silent is to just not overload the system with stuff. The system should be not trying to over run its power. My computer acts just fine, i know some computers that will make alot of noise when its trying to load a program. Very annoying to deal with especially when it does it all the time. I think the best thing to do is get a computer that can handle running the programs you want and you shouldnt have any problems with noise. I do agree laptops are quite as well, although i have a laptop at my work thats over 3 years old and its not doing to good.

most of the time it's the fans. Try liquid cooling. It's highly efective and I dont think it makes much noise. also, only if you have liquid cooling, you can put sound proofing in your case. Make sure you deactivate all the fans, so you dont get a short. I think if you do that, you should get a quieter pc, but it's imposible to comlpetely silent it. unless you find a cooling system that has no noise. good luck though.<br><br><center>if you found this helpfull please give me rep for thes!</center>

my laptop is super noisy compared to my imac. imac is silent. i cant be bothered playing around with the laptop though, too technical for me.it annoys me though when its silent at night except for my laptop fan whirring.

Well, the best way to make a computer quiet is to click Start > Turn Off Computer > Turn Off or Hiberate <_<You should quit runnign background programs. If you use Distributed Computing programs liek Folding@Home, set the CPU Usage lower.Replace fans, etc will also help.

This is an interesting question. I have no clue on how to do this, since mostly everything in your pc makes noise. and really computer tables with a cabinet door stop it lol. But hardware wise, you would probably need a soundless fan, and a cooler that is silent. Newegg might have it, I haven't check since i am not really interested in going to gte parts for my pc becuase it barely makes noise lol. But very interesting topic, sorry i cant help much!

I once read an article in a PC magazine where they demonstrated that you can actually submerge your PC into a glass tank full of olive oil! The olive oil doesn't conduct electricity, helps with heat distribution as well as cutting out a significant amount of noise. Don't perform this experiment and blame me!

My computer is kicking up row...it seems a bear at nights.I have two powerful fan to cooling my CPU but these fans are making noise a lot. I can't work with my PC at nights...Please inform me about silent cooling.

My computer is quite quiet, and I dont have any fancy hardware.

Specs:

Computer: Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name KIDS
User Name Jack

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1917 MHz (11.5 x 167) 2600+
Motherboard Name Asus A7V8X-X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (09/02/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT AGP
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB](10215259525)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller SCSI/RAID Host Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive HDS728080PLAT20 (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Optical Drive CW1313P AQU448H SCSI CdRom Device
Optical Drive MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8585 (8x/40x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive SONY CD-RW CRX140E (8x/4x/32x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 78520 MB (21426 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
Game Controller Microsoft PC-joystick driver

Network:
Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter (192.168.1.15)

Peripherals:
Printer HP Photosmart 2600 series fax
Printer HP Photosmart 2600 series
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device USB Human Interface Device

The only slightly noisy times are when I start up and shut down, and they're not even that noisy anymore since I downloaded TuneXP.

About TuneXP
TuneXP is the official DriverHeaven.net Windows Tweaking software.
All development of TuneXP is therefore endorsed by DriverHeaven, and all donations must be given to them.

TuneXP is freeware, and the 1.5 source is proprietary software. This will change in version 2.0, as non-open tweaks are being removed!.

TuneXP is the single most easy and featured XP tweaker, you'll ever find. Designed with easy-to-use dropdown menus, it will make your Windows installation go from its sluggish state to a red-blooded, optimized mode. All for free.

Notice from rvalkass:

Your computer spec should be in QUOTE tags as it isn't original content. Also, the stuff about TuneXP was copied from http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/40164-optimizing-system-bootup-time/ I suggest you check out the readme

Edited by rvalkass (see edit history)

Yes, good question!More fan you used in your PC, the more noise you will hear.After understand this, I just reduce my PC's configuration.I changed video card with a no fan one. Changed CPU to INTEL which one not generate more heat, so that I can use a small CPU fan more silent.The bigest noise maker is the power, So, to choose a silent power is importent.After doing that, my PC is now quite silent.